Cancelled (4 Viewers)

my reaction was 'meh'; i was active on p45 when they managed to get loads of fake articles in the irish media, including the caravaggio repatriation one which the indo ran as their lead story, making no attempt to verify it. IIRC, the irish times were the hardest to get articles past.

Very hilarious story about the new Cleopatra on Netflix

Current casting is a mixed race English lady.
The reaction in Egypt and Egyptologists seems to be "Hey, we know what we/Egyptians fucking look like. All Africans do not look the same. Stop trying to solve this western obsession with race with our historical stories"

Like on one hand it doesn't matter what race anyone is cast as. Dev Patel was a great David Copperfield.

It seems what's not sitting right is the idea of Hollywood correcting some misconception or something about Cleopatra's ethnicity (apparently she was ethnically Greek?). Or overcorrecting from having Liz Taylor do it.

But also could be that these Egyptologists are a bunch of dickheads that don't like being called black. Who fucking knows?

View attachment 17041

More or less completely unimportant, but no less hilarious for all that.

I can see their point of view. They were colonised(essentially) in the 18 and 19th c, their cultural heritage looted to fill museums across Europe, and their past misrepresented and appropriated.

It’s not like casting a black actor as, say, Henry viii - You’d never cast a Chinese actor as a Zulu chieftain

Plus there likely were black Pharaohs, but cleopatra was unlikely to have been one of them, being as Ann post points out, one of the Ptolemian Egyptians

that is staggering. the whole tone of the article and details read completely genuine, similar many other articles I've read on privilege.

that is staggering. the whole tone of the article and details read completely genuine, similar many other articles I've read on privilege.
Yeah, what's interesting is the processes in place for stuff. An article about "Are we even more racist than we already thought we were?" is hustled through and stuck up on the site with no rigour about who wrote it or much of any editing, it would seem.

It gives you an idea of where they're at on Tara St.

I'd love to get a fly on the wall walk through on the submission process.

The piece passed pretty well as a read, I only scan read the first bit myself but like above the tone represented the tone of other bits like that I read. Seo optimised sentences etc etc.

What if the piece was real but the author faked etc.

It's a big weather check in regards to how AI will be politically mobilised here. It's already political.

I see the chatGPT angle as superficial, in terms of 'the Irish times was hoodwinked' aspect; the idea and gist of the article would still have had to be supplied by the 'author' and chatGPT just would have made the process of writing the article easier surely? I.e. would it have been as much of a gotcha if the article had been traditionally written but intended to be ludicrous?

Unless the prompt chatGPT was given was just 'write me an opinion piece which will get past the editors in the Irish times'

Coincidence?

Ha, in the latter days of Kevin myers being a columnist in the times his articles had become so off the wall I used to joke that the times had replaced him with a ‘myers Column generator’

Columnists like o Toole, monbiot etc have such an established style and set of hobby horses that chat gpt could probably do a pretty good job

I see the chatGPT angle as superficial, in terms of 'the Irish times was hoodwinked' aspect; the idea and gist of the article would still have had to be supplied by the 'author' and chatGPT just would have made the process of writing the article easier surely? I.e. would it have been as much of a gotcha if the article had been traditionally written but intended to be ludicrous?

Unless the prompt chatGPT was given was just 'write me an opinion piece which will get past the editors in the Irish times'

yeah the source is much more important - and the reprocussions are volatile too.

External source: Not vetting the author, like not even a google.
Internal source: It passed editorial so either the editor didn't check it, or was in on the gag

Both of which put the paywall model in deep question.

They'll probably have something up around 6am monday about it anywhooo

as mentioned, when i was on p45, someone there wrote an article about berlusconi wanting to repatriate 'the taking of the christ', put it into babelfish which translated it into italian, and mailed it to the indo. IIRC there was no reply on the email so the lad on p45 assumed it had sunk without trace, and then one morning saw the story as front page news on the paper. they'd run with it without checking even with the source.
that was the last or one of the last of the stories p45 managed to get planted, as obviously it went public, and the chap behind p45 appeared on morning ireland to talk about it. he thought it'd be a puff piece, a bit of a chance to laugh about it, but whoever the presenter was on morning ireland, talked to him like he was a bold child.

there was a forum on p45 visible only to signed in members, where we brainstormed the ideas - it began with one which was supposedly about two gaelgoirs in the states mistakenly arrested for speaking terrorist, at some american fourth of july parade. might have been the mirror which ran that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back