Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (5 Viewers)

I don't disagree and I wouldn't take one side or the other. I just threw it out there. Plenty of people (right-minded ones) were calling for a zero-covid strategy here, regardless of how feasible it was.

We undoubtedly fucked up over christmas time. Other than that, I'm not sure what else we could criticise.
Right yeah. We were almost at zero covid last summer, but I never saw anyone present a plausible way of dealing with the Northern Ireland border. Go back several hundred pages in this thread and this was the very thing we were discussing.

But like also if they DID go into quarantine, then most likely it got out from someone working at the hotel, or someone driving the airline passengers to the hotel, something like that. That happened in Australia last year, an outbreak that came from a bus driver for the passengers.

I've noticed that places that do check the passport are mostly just looking at the QR code thing and not checking that it belongs to the person presenting it. You could show them anyone's passport. One place I went to was scanning them for people sitting inside and being fairly diligent about it but I'm not sure how much better that is
I've encountered this kind of 50/50, about half the places I've been to have checked properly, the other half just scanning the thing yeah.

Kids go back to school tomorrow. Just checked with school and no co2 monitors have been delivered, and the Departments advice is still centred on handwashing, not ventilation. Fairly worried it's going to be an absolute disaster, and sad that it doesn't need to be...

sorry to hijack the thread and talk about covid shite again but...

that announcement today about reopening everything by Oct 22nd is pretty impressive, no?

here in Latvia they'll be announcing new restrictions tomorrow.

as a matter of interest, do people still think New Zealand's approach to handling covid was good?

If I'd been an Irish person living there i'd have been very happy to spend the last year there, and right now I'd be thinking about coming home. At least until I got my vax here anyway.

I'm not sure we'll ever fully know the impact here or elsewhere, but I suspect suicide rates are through the roof. I'd guess there was a lot of peripheral damage done to people who were scared to get medical advice for non-covid related stuff.
Entirely anecdotal but it's a lot harder to schedule appointments with my therapist than it was pre covid.

I think the evidence is that suicides didn't increase during the pandemic. Any covid related cases were mitigated against by people who's mental health got a respite from college/job/family etc. But those mental health issues were just put on hold, not helped, and as everything opens up again there really will be nowhere for those who need help to turn, things may become really desperate.

Kids go back to school tomorrow. Just checked with school and no co2 monitors have been delivered, and the Departments advice is still centred on handwashing, not ventilation. Fairly worried it's going to be an absolute disaster, and sad that it doesn't need to be...

You didn't really expect the dept to have done anything since schools were off for summer? Sure we were told back then schools were safe. As long as kids aren't mixing in after school activities we will all be fine.

So will vaccine passes not be required for entry to pubs, venues etc come October 22nd? Hopefully not.

So will vaccine passes not be required for entry to pubs, venues etc come October 22nd? Hopefully not.
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers Someone GIF

I think the evidence is that suicides didn't increase during the pandemic.
4 people in the 3km stretch of single-lane country road between here and the main road have died since the pandemic began. A farm accident, a suicide, a guy whose heart issue should really have been spotted by doctors, and an elderly woman. Been living here 15 years, seems WAY higher death rate than normal. Can't really blame the pandemic, I don't think, but still it's weird

Popping in to say that I am still so cautious, and have a fair amount of anxiety about the easing of restrictions - even though I understand why this decision has been reached. UCD is going to go back to campus teaching in a couple of weeks, and I am nervous...at the moment it seems that my big lecture groups (300--400) might not be, but all other teaching will be in person. I suppose there is more to navigate than ever before - and before the pandemic I already felt like I was living in the Irish chapter of Curb Your Enthusiasm - is that just me? :LOL::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back