2020-21 Football thread (1 Viewer)

Great match. Pity for the great Danes. De Bruyne and the subs made a huge difference after the Danes were dominated for an hour.

Also really enjoyed Wales well deserved win over Turkey.
And Italians were super again last night.
Interesting to see what happens at Wembley tomorrow - despite playing well last day England didn't create many chances against Croatia. Also Southgate took a few silly selection risks the last day that will catch him out against better teams.

0-0 victory for our celtic cousins.

Roy Keane can seriously fuck off though.

The streets have been quieter than they've been in months here. Everyone's staying in for fear of something kicking off.

that has really announced Scotland on the international football stage again.
they were all brilliant. only two scary moments - terrible marking for the corner when Stones hit the post w/ a free header early on and Sterling should have had a penalty when Robbo stood on his foot when he was going nowhere.
but despite creating plenty of chances the Scots twice haven't managed to score.

England were crap. Foden in particular has been really disappointing since letting himself down in the CL Final. Sterling and Kane are shadow of themselves.
England have created very little in two games and Southgate's team selection is in the ''you don't know what you're doing'' division.
Never saw this coming. I thought England would win the group with three wins and plenty of goals.

the Croatians were unlucky not beat the Czechs earlier in entertaining match. wasn't a penalty.

I gave up on the Sweden v Slovakia match early on and came back an hour later to see the last 20 mins.
looked like a terrible game both teams would be no loss to the tournament.

Were England that bothered? Winning that group would give them the booby prize of a (probably) Portugal or Germany fixture in round 2, I'd say they'd be happy enough to play out another draw against the Czechs and let them take 1st place. That said, Scotland were fairly impressive alright.. Probably the best Scotland side of the last 10 or 15 years (and 5 or 6 players that would walk into the Ireland team at the moment), though it'd be just like them to play well in all 3 games but exit the tournament without scoring a goal.

I dunno - I still think Engerland will still win the group. even on England's best form I think Portugal would beat them.
maybe best Scots team since the 90's.
the biggest let down in Scottish football history was the inability of those brilliant teams in the 1970's and 80's to do themselves justice. they had dozens of very good players who only occasionally performed near their best for Scotland. they had 4 or 5 good players for most positions and only a few of the current lads would be that standard.
Steve Clarke is an example - he played regularly for Chelsea for over a decade and won only a few caps.
6 caps - I think ?

anyone know how to get ITV on a Sky box ?
no trace of ITV no matter what I do in three plus years I've had it.
on the old one 'Other Channels' option gave you the option to watch all ITV channels but nothing there now. also voice searching on the remote does nothing either.

a bit of speculation about the path ahead:

if England win the group their likely route to the final would be
Last 16 v Portugal, QF v Spain and SF v France. Easy!
but even if they are runners up they stay in the same half of the draw and would face France or whoever wins the group of death in the QF.

the other half of the draw should have Italy, Belgium and Holland.

Holland's 1/4 of the draw looks relatively weak (inc. Wales if they get runners up slot)
Italy should play Belgium in QF.

of the best third place teams I'd be concerned about getting Germany.

we can look back at this and laugh at how much I got wrong.

Were England that bothered? Winning that group would give them the booby prize of a (probably) Portugal or Germany fixture in round 2, I'd say they'd be happy enough to play out another draw against the Czechs and let them take 1st place. That said, Scotland were fairly impressive alright.. Probably the best Scotland side of the last 10 or 15 years (and 5 or 6 players that would walk into the Ireland team at the moment), though it'd be just like them to play well in all 3 games but exit the tournament without scoring a goal.
If England win the group, they get to play every match in the tournament at Wembley with one exception. So yeah, I think they were bothered.

best day of the tournament so far for me.
surprise scores in all three matches w/ fancied teams all dropping points.

I'd thought this was the best team Portugal ever had but their defence was really poor and they gave away chance after chance against Germany who are also very easily caught on the counter.
so much for the expected tight game w/ only a goal or two.

until today I completely forgot Luis Enrique had played for Real Madrid!
he left on bad terms and became Barca through and through.
I saw Spain's 6-0 win over Germany last year but that looks like a very freaky result now.

Hungary - France was a good laugh. The French were literally having a laugh the first half, taking the piss, they should have been about 5-0 up. They went in 1-0 down instead and shit themselves, got the equaliser.

Germany - Portugal was a good match, I expected a Germany win after seeing the two teams first games, and they delivered. Portugal are shite at the back, Pepe is old and needs support but he doesn't get it with them (he gets it with Porto and is still good for them). In fact Portugal are fairly shite in general, they need to make the big calls, which is drop Ronaldo and play Renato Sanchez. They look farrrrr better when Sanchez comes on the pitch, even though he does misplace the odd pass. Basically, their team is centred around the wrong player, and until they change that they will keep being shite.

Spain - Poland was a fucking dirge of a game, as I expect every game involving Spain will be right now. They are fucking awful to watch, pass pass pass pass and never go anywhere. 1-1 was the right result, even though Lewandowski's goal should have been a free out.
It's hilarious seeing that actually. Guys like Lewandowski and Ronaldo will get away with that shit every time and claim the goal, people will say "Yeah but they're just class players and great in the air". If a guy like Messi had scored that goal, it would be given free out straight away for the push on the defender, and people would say "Sure he would never have got that otherwise, he's too small".
A foul is a foul. Still glad Poland got the draw there though, I'd love Spain to draw their last game 0-0 and finish bottom of the group on 3 points, hahaha

Hungary - France was a good laugh. The French were literally having a laugh the first half, taking the piss, they should have been about 5-0 up. They went in 1-0 down instead and shit themselves, got the equaliser.

Germany - Portugal was a good match, I expected a Germany win after seeing the two teams first games, and they delivered. Portugal are shite at the back, Pepe is old and needs support but he doesn't get it with them (he gets it with Porto and is still good for them). In fact Portugal are fairly shite in general, they need to make the big calls, which is drop Ronaldo and play Renato Sanchez. They look farrrrr better when Sanchez comes on the pitch, even though he does misplace the odd pass. Basically, their team is centred around the wrong player, and until they change that they will keep being shite.

Spain - Poland was a fucking dirge of a game, as I expect every game involving Spain will be right now. They are fucking awful to watch, pass pass pass pass and never go anywhere. 1-1 was the right result, even though Lewandowski's goal should have been a free out.
It's hilarious seeing that actually. Guys like Lewandowski and Ronaldo will get away with that shit every time and claim the goal, people will say "Yeah but they're just class players and great in the air". If a guy like Messi had scored that goal, it would be given free out straight away for the push on the defender, and people would say "Sure he would never have got that otherwise, he's too small".
A foul is a foul. Still glad Poland got the draw there though, I'd love Spain to draw their last game 0-0 and finish bottom of the group on 3 points, hahaha
I missed the first half of the France Hungary game but it seemed very one sided.
Hungary were good in the second half.

every match in the Spain / Poland / Sweden / Slovakia group has been bad.
by all the other groups are good - they're letting the show down!

certain stuff akin to other fouls just seems to be tolerated for some reason.
shirt pulling should be illegal full stop (Martin Skertel comes to mind) and putting your hands on an opposition player when both are going for the ball seems to be OK.
blatantly flattening someone with no attempt to play the ball should always be a yellow card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back