Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (2 Viewers)

A virus is a protein box, containing DNA or RNA, which sometimes comes wrapped in a bubble of oil.

If a substance / process denatures proteins or in this case can screw up a lipid (fat) membrane it's going to knock out the virus. (Denature just means untangle and break.)

So what you're going to want to look for is anything that can mess with fat, or mess with proteins.

In the lab we used to use bleach, since that denatures and clobbers everything, but bleach is pretty harsh on skin. Having said that, if you want to clean something a wipe with a mild bleach solution will do the job. I don't know how Detol works, but I'm going to guess it's some class of a protein denature-er. Heat would be another thing that denatures protein, meaning a quick trip into boiling water should screw them up too.

In addition to the above, this guy is one of the boys that's wrapped in a molecule thick layer of oil, meaning anything that can break oil will take him out. That means that a mild detergent solution is going to kill him, a soap solution will, alcohol will dissolve the membrane, and so on.

So, if you run low on any one thing you can substitute. At one point at least medical places were just making up a bleach solution to dunk thing and wipe down surfaces. Dig out your clothes detergent from under the sink, dilute that right down, and that will work, or just dish soap. Dettol will most likely work, but so will loads of other really common things

This is great, I had a delivery here today and I gave it a once over with a fairy liquid solution once it got into the house.

Just a question on the method. How vigourously should we clean things? Would giving it a once over with a soapy cloth or sponge or something so that everything is dampened and then leaving it to dry out be enough or so you need to do more than that? IS that more than enough?

It was really joyous to poke our heads out the front door at 8pm. We can't see many other houses on our road, and most of our neighbours are very elderly, so didn't think anyone would be clapping, but then we heard the clapping in the distance and peel of church bells. It was so lovely.

To head back and then read about the 10 deaths was stomach churning.

just got a call from my dad - his sister in australia has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, and if that's not obnoxious enough news, two of her kids live abroad and now can't go home to visit her. they'd have to spend 14 days in isolation on return, and then probably wouldn't be allowed visit her anyway because of the risk she faces.
follow up call - she's still minding the grandkids. and the schools there haven't closed. WTAF.

follow up call - she's still minding the grandkids. and the schools there haven't closed. WTAF.

I've a aussie doctor friend and finally got around to sending a text saying I hope everything is ok with them and that the stress of things isn't too much to cope with.

The reply that came back included the phrase, "Fucking hopeless federal government."

This is great, I had a delivery here today and I gave it a once over with a fairy liquid solution once it got into the house.

Just a question on the method. How vigourously should we clean things? Would giving it a once over with a soapy cloth or sponge or something so that everything is dampened and then leaving it to dry out be enough or so you need to do more than that? IS that more than enough?

I'd imagine if you were to get a spray bottle and give everything a spritz of soapy water it would be grand. Don't forget about bleach either, I have not great skin, but even i'd use a mild bleach solution to give things a wipe down if I want them nice and clean. Bleach absolutely knackers everything it touches.

Fuck me though. Just looking that the numbers in the US.

Look at the rate of increase in those numbers, these are the counts on people hospitalized:

10,131. <- today.

This isn't good at all.

It was really joyous to poke our heads out the front door at 8pm. We can't see many other houses on our road, and most of our neighbours are very elderly, so didn't think anyone would be clapping, but then we heard the clapping in the distance and peel of church bells. It was so lovely.

To head back and then read about the 10 deaths was stomach churning.

Someone, SOMEONE in our home made a face and said FUCK OFF when they started showing clips of people clapping at a camera in various locations last night.
And that someone was......not me! :-D

Incredibly worried for america. New York is a great city, but it is going to be destroyed. Millions of people on top of each other in old buildings. Cash based society.

Also thinking about London. All those people crammed into tubes for the last few weeks heading into the city, then back home again to the suburbs.

Did you read the spectator article i posted above? Be curious as to your thoughts on it.

(ultimately my own are to basically follow what the majority of the experts are saying right now, but it's still worth thinking about)

as a devil's advocate piece, its very good. I made a comment way back in this thread that I could foresee a time when the power-that-be may have to decide to turn everything back on, before the virus is eradicated, because its the lesser-of-two-evils. It would be a horrible position for anyone to be in to have to make that call.

But, as has been said from the outset, covid-19 isn't ever going to fully go away. Its something we will have to live with in the future. Vaccines will be worked on, but people will still get it, people will get sick, some will die, but the perspective on the virus will/may shift to something more in line with how we view the flu.

Sweden's approach is moreso biased towards the economy, without completely ignoring the illness. They admit they're gambling somewhat but, the outcome of their approach may inform the rest of the world on what the right thing to do, is.

Similarly the UK's 'herd immunity' approach, which they've backed away from. While, obviously, utter nonsense, it would have told us what the true impact of covid-19, is. And this will now never be known, as is the case with any proactive, rather than reactive, approach.

10 deaths today, 255 new cases. No joke.

no, no joke at all. 1 death is 1 too many, on a human level. On a data level, its consistent with what has gone before. I believe we're only days away from these numbers dropping off.

as a devil's advocate piece, its very good. I made a comment way back in this thread that I could foresee a time when the power-that-be may have to decide to turn everything back on, before the virus is eradicated, because its the lesser-of-two-evils. It would be a horrible position for anyone to be in to have to make that call.

But, as has been said from the outset, covid-19 isn't ever going to fully go away. Its something we will have to live with in the future. Vaccines will be worked on, but people will still get it, people will get sick, some will die, but the perspective on the virus will/may shift to something more in line with how we view the flu.

Sweden's approach is moreso biased towards the economy, without completely ignoring the illness. They admit they're gambling somewhat but, the outcome of their approach may inform the rest of the world on what the right thing to do, is.

Similarly the UK's 'herd immunity' approach, which they've backed away from. While, obviously, utter nonsense, it would have told us what the true impact of covid-19, is. And this will now never be known, as is the case with any proactive, rather than reactive, approach.

no, no joke at all. 1 death is 1 too many, on a human level. On a data level, its consistent with what has gone before. I believe we're only days away from these numbers dropping off.

I read a thing during the week discussing what the post this world will look like and suggested that jurisdictions are going to have to operate based on what the infection rate is. Basically it needs to be kept in and around 1 once the widespread outbreak dies down and restrictions will have to be tightened and relaxed on an ongoing basis based on if it gets over 1 again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back