TTIP (2 Viewers)

And TTIP falters somewhat in the European Parliament over the issue of ISDS's.

European Parliament postpones debate on TTIP EU-US trade deal - Independent.ie

I'm not sure they (ISDS's) are necessarily the work of the devil, they originally aimed mainly to prevent states nationalising foreign companies that had set up in less developed countries, its only more latterly that they have become so contentious as companies have realised what they can mean. The question now is why an ISDS is so necessary with regard to TTIP- the EU and US are both very much committed to the free market so the likelihood of one undertaking an action that severely limits the ability of an outside company to conduct its business is, I would imagine, negligible.

Studies on the effects of TTIP also show negligible positive returns, even in the best case scenario- increase in GDP and wages of .3% to 1.3%, an increase in disposable income of €545 annually for a household of 4 (thats €2.61 pp pw) while the negative effects are- up to 1.3 million job losses with .4-1.1 million jobs displaced over ten years. Any tax increases are outweighed by increased unemployment benefits while trade within the EU is estimated to drop by up to 30%, a big decrease for a bloc that was founded on the basis of developing a common market.

There's more but I gotta run for a bus!

'EU/US Trade Deal will require Irish referendum' - Carthy MEP - Agriland

Sinn Fein reckon we'll need a referendum on this. Fine Gael originally rubbished that idea but Brian Hayes conceded this morning that a referendum may indeed be necessary.
A referendum would be very interesting, in addition to our own parties* lobbying for/against it I'm sure we'd be the focus of European attention with pressure coming from Eurosceptics, left-wing groups, business lobbies and whoever else feels it important.

*The parties positions.

I think we voted for this kinda thing when we voted for lisbon - didn't that give the eu permission to go ahead and do whatever trade deals they like? I forget...

My (quick) reading of it is; we surrendered some sovereignty in the area of law making to the EU which is fine, TTIP sets up courts that are not of the EU but would be above Irish law, that is not so fine.
I'll have a proper look later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back