So, erm, that article in the Times about the bank bailout everyone is reading (2 Viewers)

well,obviously its not ideal but for now we need to keep/get all the jobs we can,once the worst of this affair is over we can concentrate on setting up viable,sustainable business' that won't bolt the country at the first sign of bad news.
in a rare good news story,the ida are working their bollix off getting new companies to set up shop here so should be congratulated on that http://www.sbpost.ie/commentandanalysis/positive-signs-amid-the-gloom-52967.html

But it'll all happen again, over and over, boom and bust, until everything's totally wrecked.. now is the time to stop tinkering around the corrupt system WHO'S WITH ME?!? ANYONE?

There is an argument to just go ahead and accept it. If the Euro is genuinely doomed, money will be meaningless is a few years time - so the debt won't actually be worth anything.

I reckon this will wind up with the US nuking somewhere.

Ah ha, someone with a level head! If it all falls apart and everyone's still scrabbling around in the mud for money that isn't worth anything anymore, then I'll welcome the blistering heat of nuclear annihilation

But it'll all happen again, over and over, boom and bust, until everything's totally wrecked.. now is the time to stop tinkering around the corrupt system WHO'S WITH ME?!? ANYONE?

Ah ha, someone with a level head! If it all falls apart and everyone's still scrabbling around in the mud for money that isn't worth anything anymore, then I'll welcome the blistering heat of nuclear annihilation
Guns and tin-openers.

I'm going to watch Threads tonight and pick up some ideas of what I'll need in a nuclear winter.

any street/dail marches planned soon?

why yes Milker, old fellow.....
THE GLOVES ARE OFF THE WOLVES ARE AT THE DOOR

The last historic week in Ireland has been a wake up call for all of us.
We are about to be savaged by the international greed of finance capital and their butchers the IMF. After putting up with this government's abuse of its people for too long now, we have no choice but to fight
People Before Profit is urging all our supporters to ACT. Everybody, no matter where they live or work should do something to build resistance to this massive robbery of our people and our services.

Tomorrow when the Government announce their "4 Year Plan" we will be outside the Department of Finance from 12.30 and will move to outside the Merrion Hotel where the biggest gangsters in world are staying in luxury at our expense. We want to appeal to everyone to get there. If you cant or don’t live in the Dublin area please take some kind of action in your area Make up a few placards demanding that People are put Before Profit. Call a local protest in your college or community outside a bank for instance or a TD's office. Organise a meeting at work or in the community and if you need speakers or information on who are the IMF and what we can do to fight them, please contact us by email or at 087 9090166

On Saturday ICTU have finally responded by calling a protest march in Dublin. Free Buses have been organised throughout the country. Get there

We will be marching together with the United Left Alliance and will be meeting under the People Before Profit banner at 12 midday under the arch at Christchurch. This new movement will be running candidates throughout Ireland and demanding

Let the banks and the bondholders go to hell. Set up one good state bank under the democratic control of the people for the people.
Tax the super rich the money is there. The Super Rich in this country made billions in the Celtic Tiger. Don’t let them punish workers and the poor for their greed
Take back our natural resources. The Government gave away €450 billion worth of our gas and oil to Shell and other greedy multinationals. Its ours we need to get it back
Slash the salaries of TD's, bankers, top civil servants, judges and CEO's all of them who are paid from public monies and earning over €100,000.

People Before Profit candidates will stand with Joe Higgins and others in this election to push for these policies. But it cannot be done unless we have a strong movement of workers, students, pensioners, the unemployed, farmers, fishermen UNITED WE WILL BE A STONG FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH.

On Saturday's protest we will be calling for the protests to be escalated to civil disobedience and to national strikes.

On budget night 7December at 7pm. join the right to work protest from parnell square to the Dail Bring noise, pots, symbols of resistance, banners and all your friends, family and workmates.

We are many they are few!

that do ya?

Siptu, ICTU, WSM and about 50 others are promoting that march now. I think my banner will have to say 'I'm here with CORR' or something like that.

was that not originally a siptu march?anyway,its one of the more pointless marches thats gonna happen,its less than a mile long and completely avoids government buildings and indeed any buildings of note regarding the current crisis.unions me bollix.

Well. He is the leader.

I'm contractually not allowed join a union. It's only a problem when they decide to fire an entire department, which happens now and then.

Even the head of some giant financial mega-trillions investment fund is suggesting that that private bondholders should be sharing some of the pain ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11835044

I really don't get why this is such a taboo issue for the government.
Did you see Lennihan on Prime Time last night, he was trying to paint Miriam as some sort of oddball for suggesting this.
(actually on the whole though a good performance by him, when he said we all partied I thought "damn right", it's not so long since other parties were looking for help for first time buyers, they were all pretty useless, government and opposition both)

The more I think about this, the more I agree with the sentiments of this article.
I really can't see the logic in that.
"Ireland could just close its banks -- such a small country doesn’t need its own finance industry any more than it needs its own carmakers."
How in God's name can that work? 1. Should everyone withdraw their savings, which incidentally aren't actually there in a bankrupt economy?
2. Come the end of the week, how do you get paid, how do you pay bills, how does any business operate etc etc etc?

I really can't see the logic in that.
"Ireland could just close its banks -- such a small country doesn’t need its own finance industry any more than it needs its own carmakers."
How in God's name can that work? 1. Should everyone withdraw their savings, which incidentally aren't actually there in a bankrupt economy?
2. Come the end of the week, how do you get paid, how do you pay bills, how does any business operate etc etc etc?

Foreign banks would buy up AIB and Bank of Ireland. That's how it'd work. Santander now operate in the UK - and HSBC are a Hong Kong bank and the biggest in England.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back