What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

Oh, I really enjoyed that Jill. Its great, if you like Palahniuk, which I'm presuming you do if you've embarked upon it.

I think perhaps I frequent the musings of lesser writers to make myself feel better about my chosen profession - Except, no, alas, I actually like Chuck! Not in a life-altering sort of way, but in a 'I feel I didn't waste my time by indulging in such' sort of way.... curses. granted he does seem to be quite in vogue amongst the Animal Collective fans.

I think perhaps I frequent the musings of lesser writers to make myself feel better about my chosen profession - Except, no, alas, I actually like Chuck! Not in a life-altering sort of way, but in a 'I feel I didn't waste my time by indulging in such' sort of way.... curses. granted he does seem to be quite in vogue amongst the Animal Collective fans.

He's the classic Myspace profile standby.
I just think he's crap. As a sentence maker, like.
"I feel I wasted my time by indulging in such" - that's been my feeling exactly when I've read him.
Crap can be instructive, but...

There's only a handful of writers that actually make me feel like I've wasted my time by reading them. None seem to jump to mind.... oh, here, JMG Le Clezio. That actually felt like a waste of time, 'The Flood' that is.

haha, brilliant. Go St. Fechin.

Jill, we are no longer friends, myspace or otherwise

i read this last weekend

D1A9455C-0075-4E56-B372-1F65B280BD87_t_6.jpg

great stuff, i bought it because i liked the house of sleep, definitely gonna hunt down more of his.

i also read a couple of alexander mccall-smith books (44 scotland street series) which were bloody awful. i could go into detail but i'd only upset myself.

i'm just after ordering all three stieg larsson millennium trilogy books as well after watching the films, i suppose it's a pity i know all the plot twists but it doesn't really matter for a good book. my only problem with those books is my dad is into them - i don't want him reading that kind of thing!

i read this last weekend

D1A9455C-0075-4E56-B372-1F65B280BD87_t_6.jpg

great stuff, i bought it because i liked the house of sleep, definitely gonna hunt down more of his.

That's a proper writer.
I read a bunch of his early ones in a short space of time a couple of years ago - the first two or three and 'What a Carve Up!'. They were all good, 'What a Carve Up!' seems to be main one people rave about though. Last thing of his I read was:
Fiery%20Elephant.jpg

Really good biography of a right weirdo.

have to agree here. palahniuk is a worthless hack and a disgrace to the written word

yes, I kind of agree though it is a bit harsh. I read one book by him (fight club) and thought, hmmm, interesting style, different, and different is good. But then I read choke and I thought fuck, hes one lazy bollox. Enough Palahniuk for me.

Kinda like Milan Kundera. Some is ok, but too much is just the same aul shite.

I'm giving 'At Swim, Two Birds' by Flann O'Brien a go. I loved the first 3 pages. By page 4 I was lost. In a good way though.

speaking of shite, who's read the satanic verses? i haven't, i've only read one salman rushdie book (fury) which was a pile of crap. it's about a middle-aged oul lad from india who has it off with a beautiful young woman in new york. pithy stuff for sure. is he a chancer or what?

he does alright with the birds all the same, the smug old goat.

padma_salman.jpg
rushdie_468x413.jpg
scarlettRUCKAS_468x337.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back