Choice Music Prize - Irish Album of the Year 2009 (1 Viewer)

i dunno. do we just have a ward ceremonies just cos the brits and yanks have them?? or did music award ceremonies actually begin on tara hill... i can see their relevance in proficiency / reproducing music, there's a skill in that where you can hear someone's ability to reproduce music, and therefor judge it somewhat. with these things its more a case of 'who's been circle jerking the uk/american scene best this year (granted sometimes talented people get through the net now and then). personally i'd like the awards to be more transparent and coherent. like 'best david byrne hoodwinking - bell x 1', 'best movie tie in marketing/marketa stunt - swell season', 'best american sounding song etc', 'most compliant second album' 'least listenable singer songwriter'... anyways, if anyone's got a 6 pack i'll burn you ears on the subject any night.

what about 'the golden pricks'

i award a golden prick to bell x 1 for 'best david byrne hoodwinking'

can ah git a golden prick smiley mods??

ha, thumpies! who'd be the MC? we'd need a culturally relevant blogger or radio presenter. Anyone know if Michelle Doherty is free?

What prize could we offer? I don't think including thumped in the name is a good idea. Brand thumped alienates a lot of people. :)

How about we do an alternative awards for best Irish album of the last 10 years and give all the money raised to help in Haiti?

in one respect the award concept is silly (this work is better than that work according to ten random people etc) but on a practical level it can generate/revive interest in an album/artist.

2009 was a really good year for Irish artists, particularly underground artists being creative and working with small budgets. it was a very positive aspect of a fairly depressing year for this country. it would be nice to celebrate that fact and give those records that extra bit of attention.

A Thumped awrd is a stupid idea.
In fact, awards in general are silly.

A Thumped awrd is a stupid idea.
In fact, awards in general are silly.

I think that's what Ann Post was saying in that big long post of his.

We could have a favourite Irish albums of the year thread. Each person could pick five to ten albums each, with no overall winner.

Yep serious lack of electronic albums included but it's always been the way when it comes to these type of awards. Sure I still can't believe they picked RSAG last year..

10,000 Euro prize that would keep my label going for 5 years! Ah well back to the slog..

I've never held much truck with awards for music. It's like those "Battle of the Bands" yokes.

Competitions are for sports.

A review of the year type of event might be a runner though in terms of showcasing acts that have done some mighty work.

I am fully aware of the contradiction here, but at least you're not giving out medals on an ad hoc basis to a "winner".

as has been mentioned before in the thread - Altar of Plagues should have been nominated. They have had an unbelievable year and produced a fantastic album.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CODESOFFICIAL#p/u/3/BkXXHkawIGY

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back