What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (7 Viewers)

i dunno what to make of de lillo. obviously there's no denying his gift for language but his books leave me cold. this was no different until the last 20 pages or so which were truly gut wrenching stuff

when he's good he's great (White Noise, Underworld) but otherwise ive found him middling to maddening. i read Falling Man a few months ago and thought it wasnt too bad. i dont recall anything at all about the last 20 pages though. what happened there again?

Ratner's Star is hateful

about to start this. any use? my first philip k. dick novel. don't usually like science fiction books
n1654.jpg

wasn't really digging that dick novel so i've put it aside for the moment. probably pick it back up again at some stage.

got this from the library. read it a while back but some PRICK! who posts on here nicked my copy. anyway a really beautiful albeit harrowing read. reminds me of denis johnson's early work
9782020613354.jpg

lately I've read:

wild%20swans.jpg
superb

remains.jpg
very good, surprisingly funny

The-Old-Man-and-the-Sea-M2H954L.jpg
not really as good as i was expecting

The-Damned-United-Book-Cover.jpg
enjoyable, although the author's style grates at times

now onto:

Drowned-World.jpg

started reading Lolita by Nabokov the other day. Really struggling to get into it. He writes well for a non-native speaker, but he doesn't really say much. Just these long, rambling passages that nothing much happens in.

This could be my first abandon since Proust......

This was only ok in the end I reckon. The story kept me interested. It was good. But it could have been better. His writing style really put me off though. Needlessly convoluted, and his asides and procrastination was hard to follow at times.

Anyway, I started 'The Virgin Suicides' by Eugenides the other night and can't put it down. Its excellent. A little depressing but the interesting narrative style keeps it from getting overly so. Loving it so far anyway.

Anyway, I started 'The Virgin Suicides' by Eugenides the other night and can't put it down. Its excellent. A little depressing but the interesting narrative style keeps it from getting overly so. Loving it so far anyway.
Have you read Middlesex? One of the best things I've read recently. Must read Virgin Suicides.

pleasuresandsorrows.jpg

I'm reading this at the moment.
Very enjoyable.

Beautifully produced, real heavy glossy paper and there are lots of photos, the ones of warehouses and industrial estates in particular are surprisingly good. They both illustrate the scale of these things and at the same time accentuate the futility of a lot of the jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back