Jaysus cycling! (9 Viewers)

I picked up a frame from Seomra Spraoi that I want to work on as a sort of summer project. Its well rusty so I was reading a bit online about repainting. I'd like it to look nice so was looking into how you can lacquer it. Anyone done that here, any pointers?

I just bought this frame

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/?page_id=1049

480 euro - I couldn't resist

now I have to figure out how to pay for it...... and get the other bits I need. I wouldn't be doing a beautiful frame like that any justice if I put anything less than ultegra (I'm thinking ultegra drive train and 105 levers and calipers) on it. That'll cost a pretty penny. Plus I can strip my current 2nd bike of some bits and bobs.

expensive business this cycling.

So I did my ever 100km's today:

http://www.mapmyride.com/user/767734278338/BicycleGadabout

That route isn't exactly right and I actually did 108km over the course of 4 hours 45 minutes. Not a great speed, but it's my first time.

The bit from 43 to 65 made me cry. There was a nice waterfall and stuff, but fucking hell the road just didn't stop going up:
qodphh.jpg

my brother's next door neighbour is involved in organising that.

there's a decent sale on in cyclelogical at the moment, was browsing earlier. one bike reduced from €6750 to €3375.

Is anyone doing the Wicklow 200 or Wicklow 100?

I hate that mapmyride site, here's the actual link to the route:
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/dublin/384123885749764014

holy shit what an unbelievably obnoxious website.

After about 5 tries I got to see your ride. Close enough to my daily spin when i was putting the miles in. Its a deadly ride.

Emm. I know a lad who I assume is doing the 200, but I think he's quite good. He used to drop me on ~every spin, junior champion of Ireland, etc. I would be a bit leery of recommending riding with him to anyone unless they are fairly fit.
He says he's not fit. But he always says that.

The bit from 43 to 65 made me cry. There was a nice waterfall and stuff, but fucking hell the road just didn't stop going up:
If I do that route, I usually do if the other way around. From 65 to 43 is excellent for descending. Its nice to stop in the coffee shop in Laragh for food. I hate the road between Enniskerry and Laragh in either direction. Once you get round a route like the one you just did, the next time it is MUCH easier. I speak as a veteran cyclist of 1 year.

I'm gonna do the Wicklow 200 hundred. Cycling is addictive as fuck.

I've just entered my first ever e-Bay auction for a bike I've wanted for a few years. it the 05 model but it looks in great nick.

I'm an e-bay thicko. There is still 9 days or so left and I've just been outbid again

Is the best "strategy" to put in your maximum bid now even if it is way over the current bid in the hope that it'll be enough or should I just wait until the last 10 minutes and bid like a maniac?

helps.

If I do that route, I usually do if the other way around. From 65 to 43 is excellent for descending. Its nice to stop in the coffee shop in Laragh for food. I hate the road between Enniskerry and Laragh in either direction. Once you get round a route like the one you just did, the next time it is MUCH easier. I speak as a veteran cyclist of 1 year.

I'm gonna do the Wicklow 200 hundred. Cycling is addictive as fuck.

Yeah, may go that way next time. I was fine doing the steep climb at the start, but after that the road just kept on climbing, and I *really* needed a rest. But since I was miles from civilisation I just had to keep going. It really was quite tough.

Here, I'm confused looking at the map. Which waterfall did I go past? Just outside Laragh on the way to Sally Gap? It was very impressive.

Don't you just enter the maximum you're willing to bid, and ebay will automatically and incrementally bid up for you, up to that amount you've specified?

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/automatic-bidding.html

but say the current highest bid is 200 quid and the hidden reserve is 210 quid and I put in a maximum of 400 quid.

If i win the auction do I have to pay the 400 quid or just up to whatever the automatic increment went up to.

i want this bike goddamit

Jesus, that link didn't work either, but it says the following:

How automatic bidding works

img_checkmark_23X17.gif
When you place a bid, you enter the maximum amount you're willing to pay for the item. The seller and other bidders don’t know your maximum bid.
img_checkmark_23X17.gif
We’ll place bids on your behalf using the automatic bid increment amount, which is based on the current high bid. We'll bid only as much as necessary to make sure that you remain the high bidder, or to meet the reserve price, up to your maximum amount.
img_checkmark_23X17.gif
If another bidder places the same maximum bid or higher, we’ll notify you so you can place another bid. Your maximum bid is kept confidential until it is exceeded by another bidder.
imgProxyBid.gif

Example
  • The current bid for an item is $10.00. Tom is the high bidder, and has placed a maximum bid of $12.00 on the item. His maximum bid is kept confidential from other members.
  • Laura views the item and places a maximum bid of $15.00. Laura becomes the high bidder.
  • Tom’s bid is incremented to his maximum of $12.00. Laura’s bid is now $12.50.
  • We send Tom an email that he has been outbid. If he doesn’t raise his maximum bid, Laura wins the item.

The fine print

In reserve price auctions, if your maximum bid is at least the reserve price, we’ll automatically increase your bid to meet the reserve, and bidding will continue from there.

So I did my ever 100km's today:

http://www.mapmyride.com/user/767734278338/BicycleGadabout

That route isn't exactly right and I actually did 108km over the course of 4 hours 45 minutes. Not a great speed, but it's my first time.

qodphh.jpg

good stuff Seanc. I can't see the full route on mapmyride but the gradients look familiar. I'm assuming theres a Sally Gap in there somewhere from the glencree direction.

Was up there myself. Would have been at Sally Gap at maybe 11am-ish. Passed some boards.ie folks at the top of the Lough Bre climb (4 in total. 3 guys, 1 girl who'd dropped off the pace a bit). Saw the guys again in the coffee shop in Laragh (me and me mate were just leaving, headed to the wicklow gap) as they arrived.

If you're hitting 100kms now I'd say you'd be on course to do the wicklow 200. I did the last 3 of them and will do it again this year. We're going for time this year as distance is doable.

I wouldn't be frightened by this year's w200 route. Have a look at it on their site - theres a huge distance to travel between the first climb and the second and third, which are right back to back (and though both stiff, both very short).

Go for it man. The 200 is a great day out. If you can hit 130kms on a spin before then I'd say you'll be fine (the first year I did it the max distance I ever did was 135kms).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back