Road Records - A message from the staff (1 Viewer)

the thing about the size of the market and co-operation is all realtive - it doesn't matter that there are only a few stores.

probably the wrong thread to get into this and I mean this as a testament to them, but even in the sphere of Irish independent record shops Road is pretty niche

Personally, I think what they said about the generational shift in how kids purchase and consume music was on the money (no pun intended)

Re Gazzer's rebuttle, nice one man.

Really gutted to hear about Road shutting down.I always assumed they'd always be there.
Almost ten years ago I bashfully walked in there with my first ever recording and handed it to Dave and Julie asking them to consider putting it for sale in the shop.They were the first record shop to help me out and show any kind of interest whatsoever.I'm truly thankful to them for giving me a sense of direction.\

Fade street wont be the same again.

Please keep me in mind if and when you're putting together a bill for a benefit gig.I'd be more than willing to show my support in any way.

Adrian (Crowley)

Did anyone else think that Road was a bit out of the way for passing trade?

City Discs, that's in a prime location, which I'm sure they pay well for. But there's constantly people walking around there...

An awful lot of indie record shops are not in prime locations. They don't depend on passing trade,nice as it would be ,so I suppose it's probably a pay off.
I've been places and had to really hunt and travel out of town to find the cool record shop.

so i called in today to spend as much as my bank balance would allow. btw JIMMY CAKE AND ADEBISI SHANKERS if you're reading this - please drop in summore records, as they're sold out of them!!\

anyway had a chat with dave (for the first time - such a lovely guy) and I hope i quote him correctly here:

'imagine if this trend continues and some time in the future you have friends coming to Dublin. they say "hey, where are the cool record shops?"

how embarrassing will it be when all you can do is shake your head and say: "they're all gone"????'

so true. so sad to lose road, but as important as ever to support those remaining.

In belfast,there's Backbeat,which I heard got taken over by someone new recently and has started to get better,and Terri Hooley's shop,it's generally really bad but worth a peak once a twice a year I suppose. I've never left empty handed anyway. I heard there was another place doing used records recently but not heard of anything exciting turning up yet.

In belfast,there's Backbeat,which I heard got taken over by someone new recently and has started to get better,and Terri Hooley's shop,it's generally really bad but worth a peak once a twice a year I suppose. I've never left empty handed anyway. I heard there was another place doing used records recently but not heard of anything exciting turning up yet.

the furniture shop on North St opposite where Hector's House. Obviously bought a collection or two and started selling it. Plus loads of comics, annuals. Some nice records but well picked over by the time I got to it.

It won't help Road much (I'm in the UK anyway), but this has pushed me to adopt a new new year's resolution. Recently I've been looking for music on Amazon first and only going to independents for things I can't find there, but now I'm going to use independents as my main source of music and only go to Amazon for back-catalogue items I can't get elsewhere. Looking around I'm surprised I hadn't noticed before how competitive (and much cheaper than Amazon for some labels) indies can be - somehow I had always assumed Amazon's behemoth scale meant they were the best value for everything.

I think the idea of a party for Dave and Julie is great. If anyone happens to be in Derry, go to Cool Discs and have a browse. Independent record store. Beside the bus depot. If Road is gone and I sincerely hope it miraculously survives (from this thread alone)...then let's protect the remaining Irish indie shops.

Gazzer, tut tut.

I know.But me security man money is really terrible.

I'm not kidding.Its a pittance.

really sad news. i remember when i was 15 or 16 and really shy, road recs was the only record shop i felt comfortable asking about new releases or if they could order me in stuff (which they always did, no matter how obscure). i used to love the stamps you'd collect for every purchase and always used the fiver at the end to buy something irish that i'd never heard of before. i've wandered in with some pretty mad requests over the years (getting julie to write someone she'd never met a birthday card as part of a present was one of them) but they were always really sweet about it. despite never getting to know either dave or julie, and the fact i work for the competition these days, i do think that road had an enormously positive influence in helping irish bands and the scene in general. i also believe that dublin will be a lesser place without them and people will only truly wake up to that when the doors close. there ARE still good shops in this city but big or small, we really do need your business or it'd be too easy for them all to disappear.

best of luck guys, i hope that you know how much you were appreciated even if you were disappointed by us in the end, and congratulations on the little one :)

I went in to buy Jape, Large Mound, Fight Like Apes, Give a man a kick and they were all out, would be cool if these could be restocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back