I got me tickets for The Dark Knight! (6 Viewers)

Have to agree, Maggie normally does very strange/scary things to me but wasn't really much for her to do in this one.
Looked real good in the interview scene but her character in this movie was little more than a plot device.

Just on that whole "the cellphone sonar is bullshit" thing... well, it is and it isn't. It ("celldar") sort of exists already, but it's done with mobile phone towers, not the phones themselves.

Secret radar technology research that will allow the biggest-ever extension of 'Big Brother'-style surveillance in the UK is being funded by the Government. The radical new system, which has outraged civil liberties groups, uses mobile phone masts to allow security authorities to watch vehicles and individuals 'in real time' almost anywhere in Britain.
The technology 'sees' the shapes made when radio waves emitted by mobile phone masts meet an obstruction. Signals bounced back by immobile objects, such as walls or trees, are filtered out by the receiver. This allows anything moving, such as cars or people, to be tracked. Previously, radar needed massive fixed equipment to work and transmissions from mobile phone masts were thought too weak to be useful.
The system works wherever a mobile phone can pick up a signal. By using receivers attached to mobile phone masts, users of the new technology could focus in on areas hundreds of miles away and bring up a display showing any moving vehicles and people.

'It will be enormously useful,' the director of one private security firm said. 'Instead of setting up expensive and cumbersome surveillance equipment, police or the security services could start work quickly and easily almost anywhere.
'For tracking a suspect, preventing a potential crime or a terrorist strike or simply locating people [the system] has enormous advantages.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/oct/13/humanrights.mobilephones

Celldar works out the position of objects in the area by comparing the signals reflected from them with those it receives directly from a base station, whose positions are known. From the Doppler shift in the signal it can also calculate the target object's speed.

Civil liberties groups are concerned that the system could be adapted or combined with other technologies to produce a device for tracking people. "I can see profoundly worrying aspects to the technology," says Simon Davies, director of Privacy International in London.
A document on Roke Manor Research's own website has fuelled speculation that the technology could be used in this way, stating that it "can detect vehicles and even human beings at militarily useful ranges".

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4299

Less Dent, more Joker please. Two-face is a good character but could have done with his own movie. Ledger was only really allowed to get into his stride in one or two scenes, and cutting Dent's screen-time down / out would have given his character a lot more room to breathe. But that’s kind of unfair given that his character was more complex and more at the heart of the theme of the movie than Joker’s* (who appears from no-where, with no back story, and remains entirely unchanged by the events of the movie).

I just wanted more Joker, okayz? 'K.

*not that any trailers / advertising would lead you to believe this

the joker was magnificent - pure embodiment of 'objet petit a' in lacanian terminology, or the 'death drive' in Freudian psychoanalysis.

he was Dionysus, a completely inexplicable force of pure unfocused desire, an orgy, coming into the city-state and demanding that the heroes and the people of the city submit themselves to their desire, join his party.

and the true Freudian point is in the way the film makers decline to give him any coherent 'back story' - he simply appeared in gotham the moment that the batman did. he's part of batman, the subconcious force that batman tries to repress, but always returns - he cannot be understood in the symbolic order, nor can he be killed either;
he is always escaping, always tormenting, just out of reach.

just for that alone, i loved this film...

i wonder what they'll do about the joker for the next installment?

it seems clear that a lot of footage was dropped for time considerations - proper mourning of the dead, yes, but also a few explanations... i may just have missed it, but how did wayne know to pull harvey out of the party? was he listening to the police wires?
why did he ask fox for the high-altitude breathing apparatus? did he ever use it?
why did i start laughing just before rachel died?
where did the joker's hostages at the end come from?

also woulda been good if it had followed 'the long halloween' more closely by ending up with more psychos being let loose. but i guess we haven't seen the last of harvey two face.

and while i loved the way they used the celldar to give the batman white eyes, it did seem a bit stupid that he didn't turn it off after taking out the SWAT team.

he was Dionysus, a completely inexplicable force of pure unfocused desire, an orgy, coming into the city-state and demanding that the heroes and the people of the city submit themselves to their desire, join his party.

I don't agree. Dionysus had a lot of very obvious and immediate pleasures to offer. I don't see what the fearful mother clutching her child on the ferry (or any other normal Gotham citizen) would have gained from choosing to join in with Joker's games and push the plunger.

But then I'm not going to get into a philosophical argument with someone who knows what the "pure embodiment of 'objet petit a' in lacanian terminology" means.

and the true Freudian point is in the way the film makers decline to give him any coherent 'back story' - he simply appeared in gotham the moment that the batman did
he's part of batman, the subconcious force that batman tries to repress, but always returns - he cannot be understood in the symbolic order, nor can he be killed either;

But Batman did catch Joker.

If this was the intention then it was much better handled in "No country for old men" (here follows a spoiler for that movie) where at the end of the movie Chigurh disappears into the nothing from whence he came. (Hmm...and just like Two-face he uses coin tosses to decide his victim's fate.)

This just in:
The batbike is awesome. Especially the sideways rolling wheel thing it did. I just saw it again on the telly.

the joker was magnificent - pure embodiment of 'objet petit a' in lacanian terminology, or the 'death drive' in Freudian psychoanalysis.

and the true Freudian point is in the way the film makers decline to give him any coherent 'back story' - he simply appeared in gotham the moment that the batman did. he's part of batman, the subconcious force that batman tries to repress, but always returns - he cannot be understood in the symbolic order, nor can he be killed either;

Yeah but Maggie G, wouldya????

She's the real two face
maggie_gyllenhaal3.jpg

23-1189022510-maggie_gyllenhaal01_46dec8554231a-t.jpg

just for that alone, i loved this film...
[/spoiler]

whoa!

sounds like somebody needs a hug.

saw this the other day.
went in a cynical git.
came out a giddy mess.
it kicked so much ass.
Ledger overshadows Nicholson so mcuh i couldnt believe it.
which i was very doubtful of.
wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back