Balkanisation of American Politics (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 45
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 1
With respect,i think you missed my point. I was arguing that communities have clustered around class lines for centuries. To say that Americans are only beginning (i.e. last 30 years) to cluster around political lines kinda disregards class divisions.

the political emancipation of the proletariat...
the yoke of capitalism...
a spectre haunts Europe etc...

i'm not sure democrats/republicans can be split that easily into class divisions.

anyways, i guess its because of the 2 party system that it's so easy to highlight the trend in the states as opposed to other countries.

I think the basic point, which I'm sure applies in ireland too, is that people tend to seek out like-minded company, with the result being increased mutual misunderstanding and limited exposure to, and perhaps tolerance of, alternative viewpoints. Thumped is an example of that sometimes- it's not like we have a mix of pro- and anti-Bush viewpoints on Thumped for instance.

I think the basic point, which I'm sure applies in ireland too, is that people tend to seek out like-minded company, with the result being increased mutual misunderstanding and limited exposure to, and perhaps tolerance of, alternative viewpoints. Thumped is an example of that sometimes- it's not like we have a mix of pro- and anti-Bush viewpoints on Thumped for instance.

But if it was America, all of Thumped would go and live on the same road. :eek:

It's really hard to crack America. I mean, I've been losing the run of myself with the adulation I receive in Brooklyn and San Francisco. It's so easy to think "this is it, I've made it now". But then I look at a globe in the window of this amazingly hip second-hand store, and I realize that there are people in Abundance, Ohio and Brush, Arizona who have literally never heard my name. :(
I mean, what can I do, short of actually living on the American interstate network? Can't these people pay a visit to the likes of Austin and Chicago when I'm in town? The way it's headed, I'm resigning myself to a life of niche stardom.

I've been to the States three times and have never been able to make a waiter laugh.

I made a waiter laugh by saying tomato not tomayto. He said with theatrical flair after laughing "Well you may say tomato sir but I say tomayto!" He then went on to tell me how much he loves Ireland because he works in a calendar factory that produces an Ireland calendar and it looks so beautiful and the like.

I made a waiter laugh by saying tomato not tomayto. He said with theatrical flair after laughing "Well you may say tomato sir but I say tomayto!" He then went on to tell me how much he loves Ireland because he works in a calendar factory that produces an Ireland calendar and it looks so beautiful and the like.

you ate in a calendar factory?

did they serve dates?

I think its mad that everyone calls you 'sir' over there. Its real disconcerting. Kind of puts you at the same level as your secondary school teachers. And no one wants that now, do they sir?

I think the whole sir thing is all part of an agressive politness thing. they use polite works and phrases in an very unfriendly manner.'i dont think you should be doing that sir' etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back