Documentaries thread (1 Viewer)

Are you sure? I remember the film was shot by the son wasn't it? e used the camera the whole time when the father and other son were being arrested and trialled. Or maybe I don't remember the film right at all.

The family had a huge wealth of footage from the time of the trial but it was interspersed with current interviews with all of the participants.

I don't know if I've mentioned occupation dreamland on this thread already; in case I haven't, it's well worth a look. a document of a group of 82nd airborne based in fallujah, before the marines went in and blew the place to fuck. I'll try to track down a link...

did anyone ever see Following Sean???

yeah, I saw it on one of the beebs a while back.
it was good. Not quite sure what it was trying to say though, but then that was maybe the point. Kind of raised more questions than in answered.

Sean's da was mad though. Poor fellah.

Just finished watching a documentary on one of the Discovery channels - It was made up of colour film shot during the war in the pacific. Some incredible and disturbing footage.

Looks like that Bear Grylls Everest thingummy thing tomorrow could be worth a watch. The mad feck. A cut above his usual fodder.

yeah, I saw it on one of the beebs a while back.
it was good. Not quite sure what it was trying to say though, but then that was maybe the point. Kind of raised more questions than in answered.

Sean's da was mad though. Poor fellah.

i kind of liked the way i felt after watching it. had never really seen anything like it before - and i really thought the subject and film maker shared a uniquely special relationship. i liked that it was a story that was revisited and that all the people who had been involved had all changed in great or subtle ways. i dunno - i dont think there was supposed to be a meaning, per se. i think the meaning of the film is the meaning that each viewer subjectively felt after watching it. but that's just me.
sean was such a cute kid!!

"I saw a wasp".
He's probably selling crack in Paris now or something.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's a few more I've seen since my last post.

Hearts And Minds
Best Vietnam documentary ever. Shows the catastrophic effects of US involvement. Made in 1974 and won best documentary at the following year's Oscars.

Harlan County USA
Community vs The Man.
Deals with a year-long miners strike in Kentucky in the mid 1970s. Gripping stuff.

For All Mankind
Moon documentary - Apollo 11.

Dial H-I-S-T-O-R-Y
About plane hijackers from the 1960s and 1970s.

So Wrong They're Right

Fascinating study of people who collect Eight-Track tapes

Cinemania
Study of five New Yorkers, obsessed with going to the movies. Fairly sad.

The Delirious Films of William Klein
Three "fiction features" in this set
Who Are You Polly Maggoo? - Satire on French fashion industry made in 1966
Mr Freedom - Vietnam war
The Model Couple - Couple agree to be watched via surveillance for six months. Predates Big Brother and The Truman Show by 20 years.

John Pilger - Reporting The World
Third box set - will be ordering it soon
Saw a few them in the past and are the usual high standard.

Land Of Promise: The British Documentary Movement 1930 - 1950
Just got this. Very comprehensive set of pre and post-World War II docs.

anyone catch tv3's "expose" on the hoor trade last night?
looked like someone's first year film studies last minute easter project.

Here's a few more I've seen since my last post.

Hearts And Minds
Best Vietnam documentary ever. Shows the catastrophic effects of US involvement. Made in 1974 and won best documentary at the following year's Oscars.
yeah, just happened to see this really recently as well. a suitably bleak bleak viewing experience. amazing piece of work.

You may also like this one. The trials of Henry Kissinger. I've watched it a few times, read Christopher Hitchens book. Its chilling stuff. Kissinger is probably, in clinical terms at least, a psychopath.

[video=google;-2815881561030958784]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2815881561030958784&q=&hl=en[/video]

You can watch it full screen on google video.

many of you may have seen it when it was shown on TV, but as it happens it is also on youtube.

i dont care if people think i'm a sap - watching this shook me to the core

(also, if someone could tell me what that music is at the beginning of the first clip i post here that would be cool)

The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off

Try this for a 22 minute antidote to the boy who's skin fell off.
Affirm your life with "
" - also available for free on 4od. A film-maker compiled 20 years of his own answering machine messages and combined them with photo's from his photo album to give a brief potted history of the last 20 years of his life.

finally, finally got around to seeing 'little dieter needs to fly' after I don't know how long. kinda wish I didn't watch rescue dawn now, but it's still a fascinating story. quite a resilient, charismatic and slightly unusual character!

funny, it kind of reminded me of my last post about the vietnam documentary 'hearts and minds', because the subject of u.s. fighter pilots and their disassociation from the carnage they caused on the ground during bombing missions in vietnam was mentioned briefly in each film, plus the use of rear-view arial bombing footage. that kind of imagery always gives me the horrors.. lush green jungle bursting into orange flame. very surreal.

oh yeah, just when I was starting to think I was watching an unusually unhealthy number of war documentaries, I almost forgot I watched 'jesus camp' recently as well. sinister. good to see the kids are getting a healthy dose of the fear of god at an early age... another worthwhile viewing experience.

. good to see the kids are getting a healthy dose of the fear of god at an early age... another worthwhile viewing experience.

Seeing those little kids driven to bawling their eyes out in emotional reverie is one on the creepiest things that I've ever seen. Poor little fecks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back