Documentaries thread (2 Viewers)

American Movie is great
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

interestin' doco about 70's underground movement The Weathermen
[video=google;-1847524043861152897]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1847524043861152897&ei=lovESKPUDYX2qAOHpp24BQ&q=the+weathermen[/video]

anyone mentioned when the levee broke yet? not arsed reading the whole thread. the most boring pile of preachy shite ever. sean "i'm a man of the people" penn is a dick head

Anybody see The Bridge last night? Only caught the end of it, but it seemed pretty hardcore. I guess a lot could be debated about the ethics of the film maker too.

Theres a few BBC horizon docs up on easynews for people signed up. A few evolution one and a particularly great one about Parallel Universes and String Theory with Prof Michio Kaku thats timely given the carry on in Geneva.

I guess a lot could be debated about the ethics of the film maker too.

For sure. I think i said all this before here but i thought it was just ghoulish voyeurism dressed up as some kind of well thought out, insightful and sensitive documentary.

It shed no new light or interesting perspective on suicide or depression whatsoever. Its safe to say that if the filmaker hadn't had the idea to camp out for a year and film peoples most private desperate moments without their consent or real effort to help them then this film wouldn't have been made.

King of Kong is way better.

For sure. I think i said all this before here but i thought it was just ghoulish voyeurism dressed up as some kind of well thought out, insightful and sensitive documentary.

Apparently the film makers called the police every time it looked like a person was going to jump. They couldn't call it in when someone was just acting suspiciously - because the police would have spent their whole time there - but as soon as people climbed up / over the barrier they picked up the phone.

That said, I didn't think it was great.

And yes, as someone else has said, King of Kong is better documentary film making than this.

Anyone see "4 wives, 1 man" about the Afghan family and it's ever increasing number of wives? Definitely worth a watch. [here be spoiler] I really was aching to know what happened to the 4th wife after the 5th arrived just as the documentary ended. It's still on 4OD.

I've been watching "The Genius of Charles Darwin" on 4OD too. My happiness at people like Dawkins and Hitchens et al getting shows like these made by the mainstream media is matched only by my repugnance of their smugness.

i think there was a thread about The Bridge when it came out. i desperately wished I'd never seen it after I watched it, but i guess in some ways (hopefully educational) it's essential viewing. that said.......

the way the cameras were trained in and the people operating them frantically zoomed in when someone jumped - not to mention the sickeningly unnecessary 'splash' sound effects......it was the hardest thing i've watched in recent memory.

gene sprague's jump at the end made my stomach curdle but i bet the director was rubbing his hands with glee when he did it backwards.

Thanks to the torrential references to it by Pissy Pants I have just reinstalled 4OD, after it was crashwiped last year, ..lookin 4wrd to some gr8 documen3s...btw, btw has Capturing the Friedmans been fiddled w here yet..i liked alot this crazy indictment of the modern hell-family but i also know a deadly story about how the director came to make this flick....if pressed i will try to tell it faithfully

Ok so fuck the Freidmans..i would, however, recommend a viewing of [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WATBzSYJx1Q"]Rocky Road To Dublin[/ame] (7 x parts) filmed in 1967 Ireland and captures some attitudes that will have you shake your head in wonder..excellent. Was banned for 30 years or so in the Republic and [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sET5de5-gy4"]the Making of Rocky Road to Dublin[/ame]
(3 x parts) is amazing too.

Ain't it a great little nation?

'Tis.

ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES (27mins)
A Documentary About DIY Counterculture

PREMIERE:
Saturday 20th September 2008
12pm

Irish Film Institute
Eustace Street, Temple Bar.
FREE - ALL WELCOME

Also Showing on Dublin Community Television Soon.

Just watched Please Vote For Me, a brilliant documentary about third grade Chinese kids voting to elect a class monitor.
The only significant difference between these dudes and Western, "grown-up" democracy is that the 8-year-olds have better dress sense.

Thanks to the torrential references to it by Pissy Pants I have just reinstalled 4OD, after it was crashwiped last year, ..lookin 4wrd to some gr8 documen3s...btw, btw has Capturing the Friedmans been fiddled w here yet..i liked alot this crazy indictment of the modern hell-family but i also know a deadly story about how the director came to make this flick....if pressed i will try to tell it faithfully

Is it the one about how the director was actually making a documentary on children's party entertainers/clowns when he came into contact with one of the Friedmans, who is actually the most popular New York party clown?

Any one hear about I MARRIED THE EFFIEL TOWER.

A documentry about women who fall in love with inanimate objects...

eiffel-tower-marry.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0912580/ The Devil Came on Horseback (2007) showing in the IFI tomorrow, maybe Kino in Cork aswell, nyone seen it?

Yeah. John O’Shea gave a passionate speech before the film, describing his time in Darfur and giving a brief summary of what the documentary was about. Nice guy; articulates his anger pretty well, too.

It’s a photographic essay about the sh*t that went down - and I suppose is still occurring - in Darfur. The images are quite brutal and it follows the photographers’ attempt to bring these pictures to the public’s attention, then his frustration when nobody does anything about it. It just really shows you the facts of the situation, which are pretty horrific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back