(Ask nlgbbbblth) - My Weekly Bank Related Question (1 Viewer)

ahoyhoy Nigglybits. could you please tell me if you know what UK bank are best for opening a (student) account in the UK and also which ones i actually can open one with. if ye know like. wanted to open one with the Co-OP bank but it appears, like most banks, that i need to be living there for 3 years minimum. which sucks balls.
thanks in advance.

I'm not him but you've a choice between HSBC and Natwest. Both seem pretty similar. I was with HSBC, had a few problems with them like charging me for stuff(bounced cheques) when they said they wouldn't. I got the money back anway. Also you gotta get an interview before they open an international student account with them which takes ages as they only do one a day. This may be different in London though. My brother and sister were both with natwest with no hassles afaik.

Have no direct experience / specific knowledge of this but...

They'll all want identification [passport] and proof of address [that can be an Irish bank statement posted to your UK address]

Living there three years - not heard that one before. Most unreasonable.

You could always ask your Irish bank to provide you with a general reference for their English equivalent. Some do, some don't - they're not obliged to, but no harm in asking.

i.e.
AIB = First Trust up north, AIB in rest of UK
BOI = BOI all over UK
UB = same up north, RBS or Nat West in rest of UK
NIB = Northern up north, no one in rest of UK

what kind of approach are we talking about here??? (other than being nice); i havent checked yet, but it looks like an overall sting of 30ish yoyo fro missin a 40ish bill. my angry head would be saying stuff like: what fucking bank charges 75% interest in 24 hours.. but is there a generally accepted line of approach? and thanks.

what kind of approach are we talking about here??? (other than being nice); i havent checked yet, but it looks like an overall sting of 30ish yoyo fro missin a 40ish bill. my angry head would be saying stuff like: what fucking bank charges 75% interest in 24 hours.. but is there a generally accepted line of approach? and thanks.

The 'administration' charges for bouncing cheques, direct debits and standing orders average around €13 per item here.

They seem excessive but are clearly published in their tariffs and agreed with the Director of Consumer Affairs.

Best approach is to write a letter. Explain why you missed making the lodgment, make reference to the number of years you've banked with them and ask can they waive the charge as a gesture of goodwill.

If it's a one-off they might look at it sympathetically. Repeat offenders cut no slack.

In the good old days , someone in a branch would, every morning, go through every out of kilter account and make a decision whether to pay or not. There was far more leeway given to customers.

Times change and it's a lot more automated now.

If you think it's bad here look at the UK.
The unpaid charges are around £38 per item. Sterling.

What sort of purchase protection is there with Laser cards? I ordered something about 6 weeks ago and I've not recieved it, the people I bought it off are not answering phones or replying to e-mails so I presume that I'm not getting what I ordered. I'm with Ulster bank.

hi, i recently tried to get a crecit card but could not get one due to having no job. they told me about 3v voucher which is very good reccomend it to people who cant get credit cards. just google it.

does anyone know much about indexed shares. also has anyone dabbled in the stock market? reccomend any approaches

Dear nlgbbbblth,

Which (if any) building society is most likely to be taken over in the near future? Will it mean big bucks for people who have money in them?

Dear nlgbbblth,
Anytime I try to buy something using my Maestro on the internet, I'm asked for me three digit security code. I'm pretty sure I've never received one. How do I find out what it is? There isn't a string of numbers on the back of my card.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back