Veggie/Vegan Punks where do you stand on abortion? (3 Viewers)

so "Are you all going to start eating meat because animals dont have souls?" wasn't, in fact, somehow relating vegetarianism to whether or not animals have souls?

it's funny to see how easily the ingroup bias can jump to the surface for people as supposedly independent-minded as the punx.
either that, or like-minded people tend to associate. food for thought, there might be a new social theory in that.

The hive mind thing wasn't me that was someone else.

I dont see how inalienable comes into it. I agree though that where the balance point is struck between these competing rights has a lot to do with society and the individual.

My point is that it is wrong for either side to pretend the competing rights dont exist.

I never said you said the hive mind thing, that why I didn't put your name to that quote.

Any way if you don't see the relevance of, or understand the evolution of, the idea of inalienable rights and how closely it is built into every discussion on human rights in the modern thought, then I guess there's no point going into now. My summation would be I guess ..not only can we not ignore the issue of absolute rights in things like abortion, but we can't talk of rights absolutely..that they are some fixed thing. Which is maybe something we can agree on.

In parallel to that though I do feel slightly uncomfortable about two guys getting into a wanky philosophical debate on this forum on something slightly removed from us.

Anyway I think I here Mr. Cool Ice coming again...
I'm splitting.....

That's the most stupid argument I ever heard.
What the fuck have souls got to do with anything
Are you all going to start eating meat because animals dont have souls?

Great strawman there, I was merely asking if he thought aborting a foetus was wrong because he perhaps believed in the existance of an afterlife etc like most christians, trying to understand his irrational attachment to something which is not yet a human life.

I can't speak for anyone else about eating animals but I'm partial to the odd breakfast roll, the pious morality of vegetarianism got too much for me. But that is definitely for another thread. :D

I can't speak for anyone else about eating animals but I'm partial to the odd breakfast roll, the pious morality of vegetarianism got too much for me. But that is definitely for another thread. :D
i don't think the stuff they put in breakfast rolls is meat in the traditional sense of the word, they just collect loose bits off burn victims and steep them in grease for a couple of weeks before reheating.

i don't think the stuff they put in breakfast rolls is meat in the traditional sense of the word, they just collect loose bits off burn victims and steep them in grease for a couple of weeks before reheating.

Works for me.

Janer were you opposed to miss d being allowed to travel to the uk for her abortion?

Also, same question but with the X case?

What if you don't agree with a rights based system of morality on philosophical and/or political grounds? Or what if like Jeremy Bentham you just think that all this rights talk is "nonsense on stilts"?

:eek:

Weeler, you just made my day.
I'm off to the butchers

What if you don't agree with a rights based system of morality on philosophical and/or political grounds? Or what if like Jeremy Bentham you just think that all this rights talk is "nonsense on stilts"?

Then you're probably on the wrong forum, try libcom or ilovephilosophy. ;)

Great strawman there, I was merely asking if he thought aborting a foetus was wrong because he perhaps believed in the existance of an afterlife etc like most christians, trying to understand his irrational attachment to something which is not yet a human life.

I just thought it was odd to be hounding him over anything to do with souls and such.

Anser me this though - I what way is a fetus not human or not life?

Works for me.

Janer were you opposed to miss d being allowed to travel to the uk for her abortion?

Also, same question but with the X case?
I answered this already somewhere..........NO.
and for miss x she wanted to keep the baby did she not?

I just thought it was odd to be hounding him over anything to do with souls and such.

Answer me this though - I what way is a fetus not human or not life?
That was my retort back to him......
If my views are seen as right wing on this subject Weelers will be the opposite end of the spectrum. :p

stilts.jpg

That was my retort back to him......
If my views are seen as right wing on this subject Weelers will be the opposite end of the spectrum. :p

As a commie I would hope mine would be.

As for what constitutes a human life, that's obviously a tricky one and it's best to get your opponent to attempt to define it then attack that. For me it's a non-issue as I believe the living mother has a right to decide how her life should proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back