Police officer dies in Italian soccer riot (1 Viewer)

radiantperalcolours.gif
080080120.JPG

wpe8.jpg

Alien_balloon_party.jpg
BC-Balloon-Party.jpg

I once wrote an essay about a thread on here, that one where some band wore swastika armbands at halloween and everyone freaked out.

I think I got a B in it.

I have nothing to contribute except I'm disppoitned no-one used this post as an excuse to say something along the lines of

"Well you certainly have a B in your bonnet about..yadda yadda..."

or something.

wasted opportunity

rather than just throwing questions at anarchists re the guards what is your answer jane to laws /structures you dont agree with in the short / medium term?

go along with them as a represention of the views of the majority in our country as a "democracy" or go along with just the ones you agree with?

UGh. I love how this always turns into "Jane loves the status quo because she didn't say what I wanted her to say". No, I think people should hold the police and politicians accountable on a day to day basis. You vote the politicians in. They make big decisions. They make decisions you don't like, you organise in your community and you show them that you are unhappy, and you use your collective power to convey the message that they are elected to carry out the will of the people. But the people also have to be very persistent sometimes in making sure politicians do what is best for the community, otherwise they just won't. The only reason there are tribunals and investigations is that people step up to the plate and make justice their business. Unfortunately, it is made very difficult to hold police accountable (I once tried to make a complaint against a garda, and was reminded that it was my word against hers, and I'd no chance), but if people were to do it more regularly, they'd be forced to do something about it. The problem is that people often wait until something really serious has happened before making a complaint.

Lots of people do lots of good things on a local/community level, but the problem is, so many others focus so much on the 'big picture' that they miss out on the small changes that can be made, the steps that need to be taken if you want to make real change on a larger scale. One of the reasons that capitalism is so persistent is not that the people with the power go around totally conscious of the big picture and the idea of world domination (although I'm sure there are people who get off on that shit), it's because of the daily practices they engage in that reinforce those values, but it's not the values they are thinking of, it's just what they do. It's important to make the unconcsious biases and agendas conscious, but for most of us, in our daily lives, that's not the stuff we're thinking about. Those things may play a part in driving us, but we're mainly driven by a desire for our lives not to turn to shit.

Anyway, apparently, I'm a reactionary now, which is AWESOME, and means that many of yiz will just read what I write and pick out what I didn't say, and read it with the aim of finding mroe ways to call me a reactionary, which, I dunno, that's just fine, I guess. Hooray for reactionaries! Where do I pick up my cheque?

As for 'Celtic Ireland', to the extent that we can even call it that without scare quotes, as an 'anarchist' society, is it actually opposite day? It was insanely hierarchical, and the powerful Irish regional kings had plenty of slaves and shit like that.

And even if ANY prehistoric societies were even leaning toward something egalitarian prior to farming (which is probably just a modern academic fantasy more than a historical reality), the problem is that while I don't believe in a 'natural' cultural transformation to something resembling proto-capitalism, historically, inequalities of some kind have always emerged. I'm not saying it's not ever going to be possible, at least on a small scale, but the fact is, you're best off not looking to the past for inspiration because the reason they're in the past is that they didn't WORK.

Anyway, I'm just a reactionary, though, so nothing I say matters. If you can leap to such ridiculous conclusions about someone who actually agrees with most of what you say, then rather than suggest that your utopia will run on consensus, you might want to point out that the utopia will run on consensus between everyone the punks decide is not a reactionary twat, and that's anyone with an opinion different from yours.

This is an incredibly cliched response and I'm almost ashamed to use it, but it's more a quote from someone on an anarchist messafge board :eek:

So unless your eyeliner is or would somehow allow you to extract surplus value or exploit the labour of others then it can't be understood as property but as a posession.

On the same note, I don't have any problem with medicine but the medicine industry is based on capitalist social relations and the profit motive, something best seen in their unwillingness to provide generic retro viral/AIDS inhibiting drugs to african countries due to it's undercutting of their profits. The cycle continues ... and their slippery slope arguments of withdrawing funding from further research are still premised on a capitalist discourse.

But the thing is, these definitions may work on paper, but even when you start to apply them to a few real-life situations, they actually crumble. It's the way with all social theory, really: a useful set of interesting questions and some guidelines for how we can read the world, but not how we can run it or live in it.

And how do you have a medical industry that isn't both reliant on capitalist (and neo-colonialist) relations but can still treat serious illnesses? I'm not trying to be flippant, I'm just saying that it's such a huge problem: pharmaceutical companies are reliant on being destroyers of natural and cultural landscapes and industries, as well as local knowledges, but people are also reliant on those drugs to live. It's not a relationship that will be broken without basically finding a way to change the way the whole industry works, which means cooperation from the companies themselves, and that's not easy. Because seriously, as much as I despise the bastards, and they are totally unethical on so many levels (not least because of the denial of live-saving drugs to people who can't pay huge money), it is also unethical to deny someone life-saving drugs because of a political philosophy. I'm not saying you're suggesting this, just that how is this kind of thing to be dealt with?

I also want to know what Buzzo wants to know: people will always want to have power over others. There will always be violence. What is a fair way of dealing with this without going all Lord of the Flies?

You're right. How could I have been such a wilfully ignorant reactionary?

status.ger.300183.jpg

Fuck me, they're a touch strange. Dude back left looks like Bob Carolgees (where's Spit the Dog?) and the due back right looks like Dudley Moore.

Dude front left looks likes a serial killer.

Good lord:

Quo Vadis (Australia)
Status Quiz (Sweden )
Quomania (Switzerland)
State Oz Quo (Australia)
State of Quo (UK)
Vincent and Quo (France)
Shameless Quo (UK)
Quo-Operation (Austria)
Quo-Incidence (UK)
Straight As Quo (UK)
Quotation (Holland)
Ex Aequo (Austria)
12 Quo Bars (UK)
Status Kids (Sweden)
Counterfeit Quo (Australia)

Good lord:

Quo Vadis (Australia)
Status Quiz (Sweden  )
Quomania (Switzerland)
State Oz Quo (Australia)
State of Quo (UK)
Vincent and Quo (France)
Shameless Quo (UK)
Quo-Operation (Austria)
Quo-Incidence (UK)
Straight As Quo (UK)
Quotation (Holland)
Ex Aequo (Austria)
12 Quo Bars (UK)
Status Kids (Sweden)
Counterfeit Quo (Australia)

Missed one geln,

Status Quim (Portugal)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back