Police officer dies in Italian soccer riot (1 Viewer)

Well, see for yourself under history of patents - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent

sorry, I'm just a bit confused over what you mean when you say patents, ie. the
"certain details of a device, method, process or composition of matter (substance) (known as an invention) which is new, inventive, and useful or industrially applicable"

and then say "the possession rights to ideas and things that occur naturally".

I don't quite get how the first 'occurs naturally'.

And conversely the argument goes that if you did away with copyrights and patents you'd remove the incentive to innovate.

IP systems provide incentives for innovation because they improve the appropriability of return on investment for innovation. IP systems are massively expensive and the real cost benefit analysis is often unclear - i.e sometimes the benefits are measured in semi-intangibles such as brand equity.

sorry, I'm just a bit confused over what you mean when you say patents, ie. the
"certain details of a device, method, process or composition of matter (substance) (known as an invention) which is new, inventive, and useful or industrially applicable"

and then say "the possession rights to ideas and things that occur naturally".

I don't quite get how the first 'occurs naturally'.

No, no, the ideas part is the invention, more recently though they've started patenting human dna, minerals and seeds etc. Just saying what a ridiculous concept it is.

No, no, the ideas part is the invention, more recently though they've started patenting human dna, minerals and seeds etc. Just saying what a ridiculous concept it is.

this is a controversial aspect of intellectual property rights and patenting - Bio-piracy. I first came across it a number of years ago when Vandana Shiva talked about it..... I work with someone that is doing a masters in Intellectual Property law..... it gets pretty complex but interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biopiracy

A frequent legal misunderstanding with respect to biopiracy is the belief that pharmaceutical companies patent the plants they collect. It is not possible to patent a previously known living organism. Patents are instead typically taken out on specific chemicals isolated or developed from plants, often in combination with a stated and researched use of those chemicals.

as in altered dna, minerals and seeds etc.?

Because that wouldn't seem any better or worse to me.

rather than just throwing questions at anarchists re the guards what is your answer jane to laws /structures you dont agree with in the short / medium term?

go along with them as a represention of the views of the majority in our country as a "democracy" or go along with just the ones you agree with?

as in altered dna, minerals and seeds etc.?

Because that wouldn't seem any better or worse to me.

This thread is going everywhere! The alteration is the key - its possible to patent a genetically modified plant that then has the genetically modified organisms used to create it removed. It is theoretically possible to patent a human/animal hybrid that thinks and feels like a human. Interesting and scary stuff. http://www.solbaram.org/articles/clm505.html

When did this turn so black and white in regards to that if you don't like the police you're immediately an anarchist. I don't look at myself as an anarchist or overtly political and i still stand by saying I don't feel overly sad when i hear of a police death. Not necessarily cause it's a cop but moreso i don't shed a tear most days when i read the paper and there are thousands of deaths listed in them everyday. Are you really saying that cop deaths should affect me personally, because they quite simply don't, and why in the name of hell does a cop stand out from the countless others who died in the world today? That was my main reasoning for saying what i said, my empathy has better places in which to be invested.

Why have i come to my decision about the police, is it from personal experience? Somewhat but mostly it comes from working for the past eight years in homeless/social care services where I have seen how outright police brutality exists in this country, which I have seen with my own eyes while in work. From the hundreds and hundreds of homeless people who I've met who have been put in prison for begging (Do people who are here supporting the ‘prevention of crime‘ role of the cops actually realise that this is so widespread? What is the reason for putting these people in prison, cause they’re an eyesore? Cause they stop customers wanting to enter shops?) To the people I have seen literally ten feet away from me being beaten by the police using unnecessary force, kicking and punching people who weren’t even in custody. I have met rough sleepers who have had legs broken, one guy in particular who was never able to walk without support again. This is happening in our country, and maybe you just don’t pay close enough attention to what’s going on. People pull this shit about how it’s middleclass nonsense and an ‘anarchist ideal’ to dislike to police, but hey could it ‘shock HORROR’ come from the fact that there are more than enough reasons to hate them. That my work place which is in the north inner city (don’t wanna name the street) has constant protests going on over the death of ‘Terence Wheelock’, these people aren’t middle class but they are fully aware of what the police are capable of.

People can have whatever opinions they want, but please don’t insult my intelligence my suggesting that I only think of this cause you think I’m middle class and I’ve read a couple of copies of the WSM.

Think it was more of a question of people celebrating a cops death.
I have no feelings on it one way or the other.....apparently though a soldiers life is more popular (even though they are trained to kill!)

I'll trust a nice natural cosmetics company, but I'm not sure I want my iron lung made from recycled materials in a squat.

such a childish, irrational, ignorant and clearly uneducated view of what an anarchist society would involve.

Enquring minds should first of all grow up then read a book.

As it keeps having to be said anarchism doesnt mean taking a step back in the technological advances of the world and have people "rationing lentils" and producing "iron lungs from recycled materials in a squat". Its another alternative system of social order mainly concerned with balancing the huge inequalities in wealth and power in the world. A system which has examples of working such as Chiapas and the Makhnovist movement in Ukraine, if you want to go by wikipedias list (which i actually wouldn't) but interestingly enough they have Celtic Ireland down as an example of an anarchist society...thats off point anyway just thought i'd share http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anarchist_communities

I've missed a lot of whats been said in the last few pages but it seems to be going in circles anyway just thought i had to address that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back