Moving out (1 Viewer)

so basically, I was living with my landlady but she's turned out to be a pain in the arse. she's in her late 20's, never goes out (so I can't have the livingroom to myself some weekends) and I think she's been sneaking around my room when I'm not there. so enough was enough and I told her tuesday I'd be moving out at the end of the month. I never signed a contract so technically I don't have to give her notice and I thought she'd be ok with it all until I got a nasty message from her saying she would've have preferred a bit more notice as she needs to find a new tenant now, and that she's pissed off because she informed me when I moved in that she wanted someone on a long term basis. also when I moved in I accidently marked the wooden floor in my bedroom with my shoes and she's saying she's going to keep my deposit now because of the damage. surely she can't do this since I signed no contract, there was no house rules given and she never warned me about the floors??

what you think?

If you've no contract then she hasn't a leg to stand on. But then how are you going to make her give you the deposit?

Just don't give her last month's rent, or have you already?

I had my rent paid up for march, and I decided half way through this month I was moving out. I'm assuming she's not a registered landlord, if so couldn't I threaten to report her if she doesn't hand it over?

ms.b.haven said:
so basically, I was living with my landlady but she's turned out to be a pain in the arse. she's in her late 20's, never goes out (so I can't have the livingroom to myself some weekends) and I think she's been sneaking around my room when I'm not there. so enough was enough and I told her tuesday I'd be moving out at the end of the month. I never signed a contract so technically I don't have to give her notice and I thought she'd be ok with it all until I got a nasty message from her saying she would've have preferred a bit more notice as she needs to find a new tenant now, and that she's pissed off because she informed me when I moved in that she wanted someone on a long term basis. also when I moved in I accidently marked the wooden floor in my bedroom with my shoes and she's saying she's going to keep my deposit now because of the damage. surely she can't do this since I signed no contract, there was no house rules given and she never warned me about the floors??

what you think?

She's clutching wildly at straws I would think. Probably panicking. If ye didn't sign anything and she tries to keep your money then you take her to Judge Judy. That'd be that sorted. She's the fool for entering into this without any formal agreement, surely.

You could. Either way, I can't see you getting your money back.

We had a bastard of a landlord once. The ceiling caved in and he tried to sue us. Fortunately I had photographic evidence of the more dangerous aspects of the flat, i.e. water dripping onto wires and stuff. He didn't succeed in his action.

I think, even if there's no contract, you're sort of legally bound to give two weeks notice or thereabouts, if you give less the person is entitled to hold on to the deposit, or at least that's what someone told me when someone left our flat with three days notice.

see that's the thing, she only bought the house about a year ago and the way i see it is she just wants someone in to help pay the mortgage. however if she registered herself as a landlord she'd be taxed up the arsed.....UP THE ARSE!
glen said:
Does she use a rent book? Tell her you'll report her to the Revenue Commissioner for tax dodging.

When you get your deposit back, report her anyway.

nah that's bullshit. what I'm most concerned about is a comeback to when she says i owe her money for the floor!
ReadySteadyJedi said:
I think, even if there's no contract, you're sort of legally bound to give two weeks notice or thereabouts, if you give less the person is entitled to hold on to the deposit, or at least that's what someone told me when someone left our flat with three days notice.

I'm a chicken-shit for answreing back in situations like that! but it's 290 quid she owes me and i'm not giving it to her for a poxy floor.

btw thanks for the help so far.

oh and I've practically given her 2 wks notice. told her tuesday, moving out next friday
ReadySteadyJedi said:
I think, even if there's no contract, you're sort of legally bound to give two weeks notice or thereabouts

€290 for a little mark on the floor seems a bit steep. She's a chancer isn't she? Stand your ground, demand the money back or threaten courts and tax inspectors and the like.

Chancer is fucking right. I'm thinking if I tell her to give me my deposit, get and estimate for the damage to the floor and I'll just do a legger!
Catwoman said:
€290 for a little mark on the floor seems a bit steep. She's a chancer isn't she? Stand your ground, demand the money back or threaten courts and tax inspectors and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back