gig discussion, please read and give opinion (7 Viewers)

Cormcolash said:
Haha check out the "Alive in Ireland" compilation, think it was released on Active, the Wat Tyler live gig on it is comedy genius and was recorded at this exact incident!

Edit: Just listened to the intro: "Hello, we are disco-groove-cunt-student-shit-fuck, em, not punk, oh no, not punk."
don't want to drift off topic cos this is one of the best threads i've read on thumped/eirecore yet (since the sligo thread on the main board anyway) but i've uploaded that wat tyler gig here if anyone's interested ... comedy gold

re gigs:
Super Dexta said:
*gigs starting at the time they say they'll start
*the donations jar idea - i think €6 is cheap as hell for a gig that has say four bands playing at it, be they touring bands or otherwise.
*not getting rid of flyers and posters.
i agree completely

time:
the only way people are gonna take the gigs actually starting at whatever stated time seriously is through time-tiered pricing though (no bad thing in itself)

money:
it costs more to go to the cinema than an average diy gig (or equivalently, 2 pints cost more than the average gig cover charge) ... i understand some people would be turned off by an 8, 10 quid cover charge though so i'd have no problem throwing some cash in a donation jar if i had it spare

posters:
i only really check posters in record stores but not everyone who goes to gigs reads thumped/eirecore/whatever ... i presume there's at least a few people at most gigs who hear about it through posters or whatever

Posters need to continue.
I've met,in real life and on message boards tons of people who have been to ireland and found no evidence of a punk scene. Sure,maybe they didn't look hard enough,but some of them are the type who would dig pretty deep to find stuff.

dregin said:
The collection jar's a good idea. I always find myself throwin my change from the bar in bohs into the bucket they have for some local youth developement fund.

A collection jar is a great idea.
I carried one around one night, when i found out half the friggin attendence blanked me and walked in the door half way through the gig(i was shy then).
So i chased them around with the jar - "for da bands..for da bands!" - ended up with a load of people(who had paid their fiver) chipping in a few euro too......

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
Posters need to continue.
I've met,in real life and on message boards tons of people who have been to ireland and found no evidence of a punk scene. Sure,maybe they didn't look hard enough,but some of them are the type who would dig pretty deep to find stuff.
I assumed Punk was dead until I met Fid in 2000 and she told me about it and the rest as they say is fishermans hats :eek:

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
So anything mentioned so far gonna be put into practice?

well my donations jar idea seems to be popular :) a few people have volunteered to put up posters. ciaran said he'd be happy to make a few posters. people seem to be all up for gigs startin' earlier. no one seems too adverse to a price rise of at least a euro for local bands and more for touring bands. all avenues of communication seem to be popular and important. on the cans front everyone can agree, i think, that at the very least people should bring their empties home and maybe buy a pint. no one likes the freeloaders but if someone is genuinely skint then maybe they should be able to help out and get in free if it is not a serial issue. newcomers should be sought after and welcomed. this can be achieved through communications, all ages gigs in town and seeking out young bands to play. that's the gist of how i see the general mood being at the moment. did i leave anything out?

10 outta 10 for that summing up Dunchee. Hopefully at least some of it is successful. And with a bit of luck the people involved in the discussion here can pass on the feeling to people outside of eirecore,that's really the deciding factor I reckon.
The scene seems so positive right now.

Some way of getting posters and flyers into the airports/bus stations / train stations would be nice for new arrivals. The only problem finding a store there that will let you put them up and getting out there to post em up

I've nearly always done full colour posters on at least A3, just cause they stand out a hell of a lot more. I'll have A4 versions too just in case theres not a lot of room. And ill have flyers also, that ill lash up on a wall or put into the flyer/postcard holders outside and around shops. They seem to work well. Whenever possible ill lash a stack of stickers in those flyer holders or whereever. Also postering the venue seems to work too, a lot of people arent bothering to put posters up outside the place the gig is on.
I find that time is the key, theres no point in postering for a few days before the gig, its gotta be a few weeks and you have to keep it up, at least once a week you have to reposter. if not a lot more.
Tear down anyones poster who has covered you up, if they done it then they done it on purpose. what type of cunt would cover someone elses gig up before it was on.

Start an online mailing list too, they are free at www.yourmailinglistprovider.com and have a sheet of paper at the gigs, get everyone to put there Email address down so you can keep them informed about upcoming gigs.
Yiz know yourselves , this is all old school shit at this stage but a lot of people just seem to be lazy about promoting bands now.
I dont put on gigs anymore cept for ourselves, just cause its too hard to get a good crowd constantly for touring bands, and its not fair on them.

Anyone who is drinking cans in or around a venue shouldnt be let in. its a kick in the balls to whoever is putting on the gig. I dont understand why they can just have a few cans at home earlyish then head into the gig. no need for it. Falls into the " im a mad fuckin punk" category of stupid shit to do, like shittin on the floor in the jacks or pissin in the sink while drunk.

bombidol said:
Start an online mailing list too, they are free at www.yourmailinglistprovider.com and have a sheet of paper at the gigs, get everyone to put there Email address down so you can keep them informed about upcoming gigs.

that's a good idea. don't get many emails about gigs. they should be snappy and to the point though. there's enough emails from various lists without having to pick through a badly thought out gig one - scan of flyer and links to bands is plenty.

i find the gz text messages (other ones too but the gz ones are fairly regular) are very good for reminding me about gigs too. the great thing about text messages is that they have to be concise and to the point.

Yeah, tom ghostwood does texts the day of the gig aswell, good reminder and maybe you'll not see an email or read and forget, but a text you read on the spot and it's on your phone to remind ya.

Thats what im saying. on your sheet for the mailing list, have another bracket where they can enter their phone number if they want to receive text messages

pissing in the sink is easier than pissing in the urinal and at least it doesnt go all over the floor! "mad fuckin punk" or sensible person concerned for the plight of the man who cleans the bog? i say piss in thegoddamn sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back