gig discussion, please read and give opinion (6 Viewers)

we used to send texts to random people from our phone books. never thought it was a big deal; i get group texts for diy music/parties/meetings/other event stuff all the time and if i don't want to go i just delete them.

The posts about people dancing/not dancing at gigs is something i've been thinking about for a while now. I think part of the problem is that of punk bands being really fucking boring, just churning out their songs seemingly just to get it over and done with, or else just assuming the usual angry pose and the odd bit of head movement. Why don't bands seem to be having fun, fucking leaping around, who cares if you get a few chords wrong? Its the end of the world, enjoy yourselves!

eoin said:
The posts about people dancing/not dancing at gigs is something i've been thinking about for a while now. I think part of the problem is that of punk bands being really fucking boring, just churning out their songs seemingly just to get it over and done with, or else just assuming the usual angry pose and the odd bit of head movement. Why don't bands seem to be having fun, fucking leaping around, who cares if you get a few chords wrong? Its the end of the world, enjoy yourselves!
Good point

Some brief comments.
PROMOTION.
We (Moutpiece) have found latejy the text bomb is by far the most effective from of gig advertising. I try to limit the messages to pple I vaguely know but only ever get 1 or 2 "who the f### is this "replies per send out. It also lets pple know you are thiinking of them, no matter the ulterior motives!

cans
Have no real problem with them as long as pple are discrete and bring empties home.

Work for reduced admission:
All gigs need people to do stuff to make the gig run smoothly or relieve stress for the organisers.

This requires little advance organisation but there seems to be reluctance in DIY circles to let pple in for reduced price/free. There's plenty of odd jobs to be done at gigs

Can drinker bouncer

Relief door person

stage manager :ties in w/ gig times problem

Tidy up (shows respect for the venue)

Am sure others would have more and better ideas

never mind the cans what about people selling cocktails in bohs. most selfish shit ive seen in years.best venue in years and you risk losing it after the hard work others put in to get it and keep it.

free loaders normaly find cash in their pockets when you tell em to fuck off if their not paying. and the this is my friend from blah and their broke.well if your such good mates you fuckin pay for them.

that work at the gig if your skint thing worked ok in the past.

some good ideas here.at the end of the day some hard working people have been doing great jobs doing gigs all around ireland for ages now and its these people that will keep them happening its simplily up to the rest of us not to take the piss and help out if we can. anyway people find out about a gig is a good way. it costs fuck loads to be in a band so price rises for travelling and local bands lets not whinge about a euro or two.if your working its not much and if your a doley its not much either.

speakin of doley cash, i'm mired in a misery of exam horrendosity and just got a msg from a doley friend who's apparently in paris riding cable cars up the eifel tower and noshing on crepes and ice-cream so let's not discriminate against ppl who are devoting themselves to the pursuit of noll-edge shall we? hooray for learning! clearly what we need to do is smash all doley scum! BASTARDS!

byrneos said:
that work at the gig if your skint thing worked ok in the past
It's a noble concept alright, but the reality is that playing in a band and organising gigs costs money, and anyone who gets in for free is effectively taking money from the bands or the promoter (who in many cases ends up paying the band out of their own pocket).

If someone provides a service that otherwise would have to be paid for out of door takings then by all means let them in for free... but why should someone be able to trade "work" (which realistically would have been done for nothing anyway) in return for free admission?

All of this is of course based on the (not unreasonable) assumption that gigs are more likely to be loss making than profitable - obviously, if a promoter / band has broken even or better and is feeling charitable, then it's a whole different ball game.

nooly said:
speakin of doley cash, i'm mired in a misery of exam horrendosity and just got a msg from a doley friend who's apparently in paris riding cable cars up the eifel tower and noshing on crepes and ice-cream so let's not discriminate against ppl who are devoting themselves to the pursuit of noll-edge shall we? hooray for learning! clearly what we need to do is smash all doley scum! BASTARDS!

damn right, i propose that the next few gigs i go to, a random doley must pay for me in, i pay around 200euro a week tax for yis bastids, so if ya see me at a gig, buy me a pint:D

byrneos said:
never mind the cans what about people selling cocktails in bohs. most selfish shit ive seen in years.
selling cocktails?? like imperial vodka and tesco orange juice on the sly out the back or something?

pete said:
It's a noble concept alright, but the reality is that playing in a band and organising gigs costs money, and anyone who gets in for free is effectively taking money from the bands or the promoter (who in many cases ends up paying the band out of their own pocket).

If someone provides a service that otherwise would have to be paid for out of door takings then by all means let them in for free... but why should someone be able to trade "work" (which realistically would have been done for nothing anyway) in return for free admission?

i get what ur saying and id agree.i ment it in extreme cases like for the type of person that has done that same work before just to help out.i mean like if johnny comes to every gig always surports stuff some ones doing but happens to be totally skint id have no problem knowing that they ll be back next week when only ten heads turn up on a wet wednesday.like a loyalty card ur tenth coffe free type thing.

and on the cocktails i dont give a fuck what it was it was stupid selfish shit to be pulling.

In belfast we used to do the whole help out and get in free thing. For the most part it was fine,it was usually the same people every gig doing tyhe door,cleaning up,cooking for bands,having bands stay at their houses and put up posters,but then the "big" band would come along,all of a sudden half of belfast "helped out" at gigs,we eventually got fed up and everyone except the bands paid in. A far better idea,especially when funds are low.

theres a lot of really good ideas here!:)

what eoin was saying about the dancing and all, i think he's right in that hardcore/crust/doom etc bands can all be very serious. this isnt bad in itself, but a little comic relief is good at times also. imagine if feederz played in bohs?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back