Pro-Choice Workshop (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter W.
  • Start date
  • Replies 229
  • Views 20K
  • Watchers 9
If we lived in a just world then it would be different

Crux of the matter for me. Equality + justice = less need for abortion.

Pro-lifers are just another bunch of authoritarian dickheads hiding behind more excuses to tell people what to do. Fuck off.

Ah now. That's a bit harsh. Some of em really do care about the babies. They just have different priorities to people who are pro-choice.

no, the argument you made earlier was that abortion is akin to infanticide. now you're trying to compare it to cosmetic surgery. i can't believe it took you an hour to construct that response, you could have taken a few minutes extra to go through it for typos so you don't look like quite such a moron.

No No No No No No. Where in either argument have I made such a comparasion.

You are not reading what I actually said you are simply responding to what you think I believe.

I am making no equivalence between on thing and the other and you are just plian wrong if you think so.

For example if we were talking aboout tax returns and not abortion and I said "if being sick in hospital is justification for being late with you income tax return why is it not also justification for being late with your vat return" you would not assume from that that a income tax and a vat return are the same thing woould you?

You know well what I am saying - and you are being deliberately stupid in not grasping it.

Nothing I have said has anything to do with whether I am pro choice or not - and don't presume you know either way. All we are doing is discussing a particular argument commonly made and whether or not that argument is reasonable. You are either capiable of discussing such a thing or you are not - I guess you are not, and the fine distinction involved is beyond you. No problem.

There is a word for people who wont discuss their beliefs rationally and who think beliefs are all or nothing, that you accept every part of a doctrine or otherwise you are 100% wrong - the word is fundamentalist.

As far as I can see you have more in common with the nutjobs in youth defence than you do with me.

The fact that a fetus is dependant on the mother and can't survive independently isn't an argument one way or another.

Actually it is. I'm trying to find the artticle and can't recollect the feminist author but this is actually one of the main arguments used and is one often cited in moral/ethical philosophy. It's normally used in the case of blood transfusions that one person is dependent on the other for the continuation of their life and the ethical obligations (if any) involved and the extension of this ...

Anyway, until I find it, one more liberal and legalistic feminist discussion http://www.murdoch.edu.au/elaw/issues/v2n3/hyams23.html

And, of course; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_vs_Wade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro-choice

Actually it is. I'm trying to find the artticle and can't recollect the feminist author but this is actually one of the main arguments used and is one often cited in moral/ethical philosophy. It's normally used in the case of blood transfusions that one person is dependent on the other for the continuation of their life and the ethical obligations (if any) involved and the extension of this ...

I'd be interested in reading that if you find it.

The australin article is interesting. I just gave it a brief scan. What I do notice is that it sets the debate in the pretty much the same area as I would ie how too successfully balance competing rights.

This is where the heart of the debate is in my mind. Either side has to be able to see that there are balancing rights. For either side to pretend that these opposing rights dont exist is wrongheaded.

No No No No No No. Where in either argument have I made such a comparasion.

You are not reading what I actually said you are simply responding to what you think I believe.

I am making no equivalence between on thing and the other and you are just plian wrong if you think so.

For example if we were talking aboout tax returns and not abortion and I said "if being sick in hospital is justification for being late with you income tax return why is it not also justification for being late with your vat return" you would not assume from that that a income tax and a vat return are the same thing woould you?

You know well what I am saying - and you are being deliberately stupid in not grasping it.

Nothing I have said has anything to do with whether I am pro choice or not - and don't presume you know either way. All we are doing is discussing a particular argument commonly made and whether or not that argument is reasonable. You are either capiable of discussing such a thing or you are not - I guess you are not, and the fine distinction involved is beyond you. No problem.

There is a word for people who wont discuss their beliefs rationally and who think beliefs are all or nothing, that you accept every part of a doctrine or otherwise you are 100% wrong - the word is fundamentalist.

As far as I can see you have more in common with the nutjobs in youth defence than you do with me.
you need an editor. and a brain.

first of all: ???
and second: that would also constitute a comparison.

compare
http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna.html -pared, -par·ing, noun –verb (used with object)
1. to examine (two or more objects, ideas, people, etc.) in order to note similarities and differences.

if it's so independent where's the problem in taking it out of its host body (aka mother) and letting it fend for itself? no-one said a foetus is a woman's body (?!), it's the woman's body that has to bear the foetus.
most absurd post since 2003.

yes the same logic would hold, maybe you just think women are too dopey to make these decisions for themselves?

Judith: I do feel Reg, that any anti-imperialistic group like ours must reflect such a divergence of interest within its
powerbase.
Reg: Agreed. Rogers?
Rogers: Yes, I think Judith's point of view is very valid, Reg, provided the movement never forgets that it is the unalienable
right of every man...
SpudED: Or woman.
Rogers: ...or woman to rid himself...
SPudED: Or herself.
Rogers: ...or herself...
Reg: Agreed.
Rogers: Thank you, brother.
SpudED: Or sister.
Rogers: Or sister...where was I?
Reg: I think you'd finished.
Rogers: Oh. Right.
Reg: Further more, it it the birthright of every man...
SpudED: Or woman.
Reg: Why don't you shut up about women, SpudED? You're putting us off.
SpuED: Women have a perfect right to play a part in our movement, Reg.
Rogers: Why are you always on about women, SpudED?
SpudED: I want to be one.
Reg: What?
SpudED: I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me Loretta.
Reg: What?
SpudED: It's my right as a man.
Judith: Well, why do you want to be Loretta, SpudED?
Loretta: I want to have babies.
Reg: You want to have babies?!
SpudED: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
Reg: But...you can't have babies!
Loretta: Don't you opress me!
Reg: I'm not opressing you, SpudED. You haven't got a womb. Where is the foetus going to gestate? You're going to keep it in a
box?
SpudED: Sniff.
Judith: Here, I've got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's
fault, not even the Romans', but that he can have the right to have babies.
Rogers: Good idea, Judith. We shall fight the oppressors for your right to have babies, brother. Sister! Sorry.
Reg: What's the point?
Rogers: What?
Reg: What's the point of fighting for his right to have babies, when he can't have babies?
Rogers: It is symbolic of our struggle against opression.
Reg: Symbolic of his struggle against reality.

I don't think abortion should simply be a contraceptive option.
Agreed

Close friends & family members of mine were adopted and perhaps would have been aborted under other circumstances...although this is upsetting and provides a lot of food for thought, well that's just fucking life. I found it extremely upsetting when a girlfriend had an abortion, but not as upsetting as it would have been to be a father, and not half as upsetting as it would be for the child who gets to have me for their father.
That's just selfishness "I'm alright Jack" so to speak

Pro-lifers are just another bunch of authoritarian dickheads hiding behind more excuses to tell people what to do.
I am no copper

Fuck off.
Danmark?
:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back