Drumcanoo highlights (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter OLP
  • Start date
  • Replies 291
  • Views 33K
  • Watchers 7
The beat were the only band on that some might not consider diy. Every other band on it was Diy and played for next to nothing like we all have too. Mary and the gang did all this work only to loose money and they still tried their hardest. Congrats to them for doing this. Everyone running this show were punks who have been setting up diy shows for years putting a negative aspect on this fest I think is only going to discourage them from wanting to touch it again. Everyone's entitled to discuss it though.

Lock thread

griff.jpg

cant everyone just get naked. . . except me

Well, I wasn't at the fest, it looks like a deadly laugh though. I see your point and I don't think there should be big differences between who gets what (i don't know what bands were payed though)... i don't think this disqualifies something from being D.I.Y. though... they're doing it themselves, no? ....if i was playing i'd be satisfied if i didn't have to pay in and had a laugh with my friends...

For me the easiest and perhaps most accurate way to define DIY in music is as a direct opposition to the music industry. Putting on a festival which essentially operates on the same principles as any major industry-friendly festival is therefore not DIY, and shouldn't be called such.

The best thing to highlight the difference in ideas here is the phrase "showcased local and international talent".
"Showcase" is a bullshit term that was spawned by the music industry to make it easier for record labels to exploit upcoming bands. It's primarily used by shit bands that want to "get signed" or some such nonsense.
In the case of a so-called DIY festival, who exactly are you "showcasing" to? Some old crusties from England that have moved to the North-West of Ireland?
To take it to an extremity, it's as if there's some idea that some punk-rock God will hear about the festival just because The Beat were playing, and next year fly over and sign loads of bands, throw millions of quid at them, and send them all on tours around the world. Fat Mike is on his way everyone. I don't think any of that's gonna happen somehow, because it's all utter nonsense, as anyone will realise.
The music industry thrives on this rock-star bullshit, and is constantly attempting to indoctrinate people into believing that this is cool and the way things should be done, so much so that it even starts sinking in to people's attitudes on an unconscious level so that they don't even think about it so much.
Maybe it's 10 years experience of putting on mainly DIY gigs as well as the odd non-DIY gig, but that's how I see it. End of the day, if I were to organise a two-day festival, it wouldn't be to "showcase" anything, it would be to try and put on a couple of days that people could have a laugh at without treating the bands playing in vastly different ways.

Another thing that needs to be pointed out with all that, I don't particularly have a problem with the people in Letterkenny organising a non-DIY punk fest so they can have a laugh at it. It's the idea of calling it a 'DIY' fest that annoys me. The only reasons to make this claim are to try and get people interested who otherwise would see it as just another big festival, and to try and justify something that you feel people might otherwise ask questions about.
It just happens that some dickheads are obsessed with asking questions and analyzing minute details.

(i don't know what bands were payed though)

I don't what bands were not paid. Maybe some of the local Letterkenny bands were not paid which would have been fair enough.

I think if a band travels they should always get paid. Even if its only a small amount as a token of thanks. If the promoter/organiser makes a loss hard luck. You ask the bands to play-you pay them (unless previously agreed otherwise).

edit: you probably meant how much bands were paid Donal.

Sure enough, can't have the accepted rules being challenged when everyone already accepts them without thinking about it.

I really don't see the problem...

1)Donegal people organise a two day punk festival.
2)They rent out a marquee and pay for mandatory overheads, insurance, security other expenses etc
3)The local community up there put up the marquee, operate the sound, do the gate etc for next to no money paid (?)
4)Local bands from all over the country turn up and at the very least get all their travel expenses paid. There is a mixture of well established and up and coming irish bands. I'm not sure wheter these bands get paid differently or not?
5)A few bigger bands (Inner T's, The Beat, Abrasive Wheels) turn up and also play, i assume these bands get paid more for being "bigger". But it is important to note that these bands have been going for over a decade, and thus their band is their livelihood. If I want to sustain a band that I like to keep on playing their music, they need to be able to survive on their music, and as a result they get paid a little extra. I somehow doubt that they're all living like Bono though.
6)Everyone gets to listen to some deadly tunes in a field with plenty of booze and friends and good times. Everyone is sound and has a laugh.
7)Donegal people most likely end up with a debt for having the neck to put on an ambitious punk festival in Ireland.

Alright. I've more or less outlined most of the operation of the festival above. I'm guessing your main problem is with #5 and possibly #4?
If that's correct can we stick to just that and give us one of your mad spiels on it?

I really don't see the problem...

1)Donegal people organise a two day punk festival.
2)They rent out a marquee and pay for mandatory overheads, insurance, security other expenses etc
3)The local community up there put up the marquee, operate the sound, do the gate etc for next to no money paid (?)
4)Local bands from all over the country turn up and at the very least get all their travel expenses paid. There is a mixture of well established and up and coming irish bands. I'm not sure wheter these bands get paid differently or not?
5)A few bigger bands (Inner T's, The Beat, Abrasive Wheels) turn up and also play, i assume these bands get paid more for being "bigger". But it is important to note that these bands have been going for over a decade, and thus their band is their livelihood. If I want to sustain a band that I like to keep on playing their music, they need to be able to survive on their music, and as a result they get paid a little extra. I somehow doubt that they're all living like Bono though.
6)Everyone gets to listen to some deadly tunes in a field with plenty of booze and friends and good times. Everyone is sound and has a laugh.
7)Donegal people most likely end up with a debt for having the neck to put on an ambitious punk festival in Ireland.

Alright. I've more or less outlined most of the operation of the festival above. I'm guessing your main problem is with #5 and possibly #4?
If that's correct can we stick to just that and give us one of your mad spiels on it?

LOCK THE FUCKI NG THREAD!

bands getting paid more for being bigger or for travelling further? if it's for being bigger i kind of see cormac's point

my point 400 pages ago about pulling in local heads, all the chat on the street for weeks before up here was that the beat were playing. i thought it was cool selection to bring in the local heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back