Drumcanoo highlights (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter OLP
  • Start date
  • Replies 291
  • Views 33K
  • Watchers 7
I suppose young is a matter of opinion. The bands that used to be extremely young, i.e. Landon Beck, Kidd Blunt, those involving Byrneos and/or Kenn Sweeney aren't so young any more. It just ocurred to a few of us that there aren't as many really young bands as there were a few years ago. Who's gonna pay for the punk pension plan?

yeah every now and again i think its all dead then all of a sudden the kids that were not able to get into pubs (where most gigs happen unfortunately) come of age and the numbers pick up.hopefully the all ages gigs in galway/dunmore and the new all ages space in dublin,new warzone center will help with this.

on a side note.
cormac is not the whole of complan so keep it personal i'd say.
and cormac yawn!zed.

ARNOCORPS_band_2.jpg

For me the easiest and perhaps most accurate way to define DIY in music is as a direct opposition to the music industry. Putting on a festival which essentially operates on the same principles as any major industry-friendly festival is therefore not DIY, and shouldn't be called such.

The best thing to highlight the difference in ideas here is the phrase "showcased local and international talent".
"Showcase" is a bullshit term that was spawned by the music industry to make it easier for record labels to exploit upcoming bands. It's primarily used by shit bands that want to "get signed" or some such nonsense.
In the case of a so-called DIY festival, who exactly are you "showcasing" to? Some old crusties from England that have moved to the North-West of Ireland?
To take it to an extremity, it's as if there's some idea that some punk-rock God will hear about the festival just because The Beat were playing, and next year fly over and sign loads of bands, throw millions of quid at them, and send them all on tours around the world. Fat Mike is on his way everyone. I don't think any of that's gonna happen somehow, because it's all utter nonsense, as anyone will realise.
The music industry thrives on this rock-star bullshit, and is constantly attempting to indoctrinate people into believing that this is cool and the way things should be done, so much so that it even starts sinking in to people's attitudes on an unconscious level so that they don't even think about it so much.
Maybe it's 10 years experience of putting on mainly DIY gigs as well as the odd non-DIY gig, but that's how I see it. End of the day, if I were to organise a two-day festival, it wouldn't be to "showcase" anything, it would be to try and put on a couple of days that people could have a laugh at without treating the bands playing in vastly different ways.

Another thing that needs to be pointed out with all that, I don't particularly have a problem with the people in Letterkenny organising a non-DIY punk fest so they can have a laugh at it. It's the idea of calling it a 'DIY' fest that annoys me. The only reasons to make this claim are to try and get people interested who otherwise would see it as just another big festival, and to try and justify something that you feel people might otherwise ask questions about.
It just happens that some dickheads are obsessed with asking questions and analyzing minute details.

I kinda get what your say but I think its a little over the top and also I was thinking last night didn't Complan play the Leechrum fest two years ago or something, you even did your dance routine bit didn't you? Whats the difference there? The bands certainly were not all being paid the same, it still described itself as DIY (I havent got a problem with that) and it had a wider range of music, which I would see as being surely more industry or whatever than a purely punk fest as its trying to attract quite a diverse crowd.

I think I can speak for Cormac here and say that he had a momentary lapse of reason and it won't happen again and he's sorry.

He's only human.

And I think I can speak for everyone else and say,"it's cool daddio,no probleys!"

I kinda get what your say but I think its a little over the top and also I was thinking last night didn't Complan play the Leechrum fest two years ago or something, you even did your dance routine bit didn't you? Whats the difference there? The bands certainly were not all being paid the same, it still described itself as DIY (I havent got a problem with that) and it had a wider range of music, which I would see as being surely more industry or whatever than a purely punk fest as its trying to attract quite a diverse crowd.

My opinions and approach to music have changed over the last two years, and in that period of time I've constantly been thinking about such things. At that time the whole idea hadn't really occured to me, in fact it was only some of the bands playing at Drumcanoo last year that made me consider the kind of inequalities that were present and seemingly accepted.

Similarly, I'd expect that the majority of people wouldn't really think about the details with respect to Drumacanoo that would bother me now, because it just wouldn't occur. I think you have to question your approach to music to consider these kind of issues.

With that said, seems to me there were a lot more people who would question those inequalities at Leitrim when comparing the running of the punk tent there to e.g the dance tent, but would now just seem to accept the same sort of thing happening with punk bands on a smaller scale.

Also I find it interesting how many people are unable to address these arguments sensibly, indicative perhaps of how people have difficulty thinking about ideas that don't just follow the accepted way of doing things, the act of which is what a lot of people say punk is all about after all.

I think I can speak for Janer when I say..."I'm Bent":p

The beat were the only band on that some might not consider diy. Every other band on it was Diy and played for next to nothing like we all have too. Mary and the gang did all this work only to loose money and they still tried their hardest. Congrats to them for doing this. Everyone running this show were punks who have been setting up diy shows for years putting a negative aspect on this fest I think is only going to discourage them from wanting to touch it again. The Beat were put on this show because a lot of old punks love them and it would attract a wider audience which is a great thing. Having the same old faces at every show and fest isn't a good thing. I'd rather have the Beat on this fest and have 2 new faces than them sit at home and wait to go to Oxygen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back