Darklight X: New World Order kicks off in Smithfield at 7pm tonight and the festival runs until Sunday 11th.
October 8-11 2009
Darklight is Ireland’s foremost celebration of art, film and technology, a glorious three-day explosion of creative synergies: performances, screenings, workshops, seminars, symposiums, visual art happenings and much much (much) more.
2009 marks the 10th anniversary of Darklight: we’re celebrating the occasion by taking the party to Dublin’s Smithfield district, where the Lighthouse Cinema and other venues will host a feast of events.
- A public interview and workshop with legendary music video director Mark Romanek. Mark directed the classic video for Hurt by Johnny Cash, and has worked with everyone from Michael Jackson and Madonna to Nine Inch Nails and Jay-Z.
- The Irish premiere of a major new video instillation, Three Potential Endings, from two-time Turner Prize nominee Willie Doherty, on Smithfield Plaza.
- Our Saturday Night Centrepiece, Niall Sweeney’s Revolver – a stunning one-man performance from the celebrated Irish design legend.
- A celebration of Oscar-nominated Irish animation company Brown Bag.
- Cool Fresh Milk, a new live work from innovative theatrical rule-breakers Performance Corporation.
- Collaborations with cutting-edge Irish collectives Synth Eastwood and Nartystation.
- A discussion with Anna Troberg, the Vice-Chairwoman of Sweden’s Pirate Party the political outfit dedicated to radical copyright reform who recently won two seats in the European elections.
- Ten Irish filmmakers conspire to produce a brand new feature film in seven days! It’s our latest DIY movie spectacular, Hotel Darklight!
- The World Premiere of Vincent Moon’s stunning Irish-lensed concert movie This Is Not A Show: R.E.M. Live At The Olympia.
- The debut of Virtual Cinema 2.0, the Irish Film Board’s latest round of cutting-edge on-line short films.
- A screening of Brendan Muldowney’s Savage, the most controversial Irish film of 2009.
- A weekend long Performance Lab with acclaimed artist Amanda Coogan.
- The EA Hub Gaming Station, a spectacular outdoor gaming extravaganza.
- O Canada! Screenings celebrating 70 years of the Canadian Film Board.
Plus: The Straylight visual art trail and unexpected happenings aplenty…
Darklight X: What. Happens. Next.
2009 is the tenth anniversary of Darklight. To celebrate the occasion, we’re taking Darklight to Dublin’s Smithfield district, utilizing a variety of venues and spaces to present a series of exciting events. Happy Birthday to us.
Full schedule: http://www.darklight.ie/festival-2009/2009-schedule/