Zodiac (1 Viewer)

Wilbert

Website
www.gettaroom.com
Just back from seeing this.
Really, really liked it.
The most straightforward, non-tricksy Fincher movie yet but it is a really satisfying film.
Particularly satisfying in that it treats the audience like adults.
2.5 hours long but it flies by and Ruffalo, Gylenhaal and a fantastic supporting cast are all excellent.

Was gonna go see this tonight but instead i'm just back from Bridge to Terabithia.

OMGZ, kidz movie!

I saw this last night and I must say I spent most of the film waiting to be captivated and thrilled and gripping the edge of my seat for the next plot turn. It never happened. A bit of a disappointment really and too long in the middle where nothing really happened.

I saw this last night and I must say I spent most of the film waiting to be captivated and thrilled and gripping the edge of my seat for the next plot turn. It never happened. A bit of a disappointment really and too long in the middle where nothing really happened.

You're wrong, theweeyin, it's deadly.

My my my, the ravens will surely inhabit the roundtower - David Fincher has not just made a good film, but an alarmingly good one.

*SPOILERS*

A handful of scenes in this are among the best, most gripping you will see in any film this year.

The second murder scene, sunny day - I was never so pressed into a seat in a cinema.

The initial interrogation of Lee at his workplace by the three detectives.

When Zodiac first phoned Graysmith. Goosebumps went right up my back and over my head.

I've never had much time for Fincher's stylistic emptiness before, but this is relatively free of his usual gross tactics. Perfectly cast film down to the tiniest parts by an absolute dream cast. Ticks along brisquely, dialogue flies by a little too fast in places, there wasn't enough of Avery's story in it, but I'm nit-picking here.

And that use of Hurdy Gurdy Man.

i was really excited about this film and couldn't wait to see it

main criticism is that its waaaay too long
i thought he could have contextualised it a bit in terms of the times it occured in
it had a feel of something that was happening in a vacuum
the graysmith character is too flat to carry the last acts in the film [which is particluarly evident when paul avery exits stage left]
the toschi cop played a little too like a better looking columbo
there's a level of detial missing from the film [ironically enough as its over long] which you can catch on any zodiac website which would have added to the narrative
and i thought they could have made some use of archive footage of the news reports etc of the day

overall its the killing scenes that stay with you
particularly the first and second
...that screech of breaks

i thought it was brilliant. absolutely gripping from start to finish. didn't notice the time passing.

and i loved the slightly audible "baker street" playing when he goes into the hardward store at the end

i really enjoyed this but i found the running time about 20 minutes too long.
the cinematography was fucking stunning as was the set design, downey jr and ruffallo were fucking excellent.

nlgbbblth - the film spanned '69 - '91.
was strange watching a fincher movie sans frills.
overall, really good, but not amazing.

uci blanchardstown - overall good, but their "large" popcorn is taking the piss.

I really liked it, in fact I don't think I've enjoyed a film more this year. I thought it flew by. I realy got the creeps during the scene with the guy, in the house, you know the one.

SPOILER

Maybe it's just that I've been on a diet of fictional TV/movie serial killers but if Zodiac was Allen the fact that the first murder (in the film, not the first he claimed) was of someone he knew while the rest seemed to be random crimes of opportunity.

was strange watching a fincher movie sans frills.

There were some lovely signature Fincher moments though - the overhead cab ride tracking shot; the time-lapse construction of the Transamerica Pyramid; the "live writing" around the offices and - holy shit - a fresh-looking Golden Gate Bridge perspective. They all gave me goosebumps, and I'm not sure exactly why some people have such a problem with DF's stylin'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back