Your Health Is Your Wealth (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 64K
  • Watchers 9
I do talk therapy, and I exercise regularly. They work well enough for me, life is generally tolerable since I started them and I'm a man transformed with a life much improved, I'm happy enough to talk to people about my experiences with them and the benefit I've got for them. But only in terms of what they've done foe me.

I've some people in my life who need the meds though, it's the only thing that helps them. And who would stab you for suggesting they just need to run.

Similarly I know a (smaller) number of people on meds who are utterly dismissive of other treatments, "you're not really depressed if running makes it better."

People hate being lectured to, and relatedly some people can't see past their own noses, which to some degree is understandable, depression is in my experience a pretty narcissistic disease. Not that people who are depressed are narcissists but it becomes so self encompassing that it extends beyond your physical interactions with the world. e.g. your brian telling you that you could solve a lot of people's problems by not being around anymore is a pretty narcissistic position for the disease to convince you is true.

I kinda think the 'shir go out and have a walk / run' is more for people who are starting to think they are depressed rather than people who are full blown depressed - much like the '5 a day' campaign or anything else where gentle prevention measures are way better than no measures.

I kinda think the 'shir go out and have a walk / run' is more for people who are starting to think they are depressed rather than people who are full blown depressed - much like the '5 a day' campaign or anything else where gentle prevention measures are way better than no measures.

Exercise is hugely beneficial in general, not least of all because it gives people a sense of purpose .

but also worth pointing out that any treatment involving behavioral or exercise interventions has to be a little more tailored and structured that 'shure go out for a run'.

Any of these studies referred to will have inclusion and exclusion criteria and safety protocols etc.

years ago I went through about 6months of this. Still suffer from glare.
I was working with a lot of clinicians at the time and they ran bloods etc for me, nothing showing up beyond CRP being elevated.
Wife and I were living in an incredibly mouldy flat at the time, and I reckon it might have been exposure to the spores of something..
my wife was saying a friend of hers and her husband were suffering from headaches and felt like shit for weeks, and then their fridge broke. turned out it had been leaking coolant.

my wife was saying a friend of hers and her husband were suffering from headaches and felt like shit for weeks, and then their fridge broke. turned out it had been leaking coolant.

in our case I think it was the mould as most likely culprit.
I'm not sure if you saw the flanagan remake of 'haunting of hill house'..... in the same ballpark

Exercise is hugely beneficial in general, not least of all because it gives people a sense of purpose .

but also worth pointing out that any treatment involving behavioral or exercise interventions has to be a little more tailored and structured that 'shure go out for a run'.

Any of these studies referred to will have inclusion and exclusion criteria and safety protocols etc.

Yeah lookit - when i was looking at nutrition stuff a year or two ago what sorta became apparent was that '5 a day' is technically less veg than you need - most guidelines put fruit/veg between 30 and 50% of diet - so looking at that in reality an an apple or a banana is about 70g grams. five of those is 350 grams - and generally a person should be at least eating 1500g of food a day - a lot more in my case.

So the five a day would just nearly be 25% of a 1500g diet, or about 16% of mine

So five a day is essentially just some advice put out there so people at least dont live on pizza/noodles and chips and stuff. It's tip of the iceberg advice rather than a solid go-to but the nutritionalists have to start somewhere. I kinda see the 'go for a wee run' thing the same way.

Advice may not be well-informed or useful, or even counter-productive or downright dangerous, but if you squint your eyes a little bit you can see that it's a nice thing that people care enough to offer it
There's also a difference between my-mate-tried-this or I-saw-it-on-Goop or whatever, and what is proven to work and is being actively prescribed by doctors as an effective treatment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's wholly exciting that there is a new proven treatment for depression
Pills don't work for everyone and those that they do work for come with a raft load of side effects

There's some magic formula for each person between counseling, pills and exercise that is gonna work for them. One or two of these could easily be zero.

And if your life is full of idiots, telling you a bunch of useless shit, have a think about that.
It really doesn't have to be.
That honestly sounds miserable and exhausting.

Yeah

Some people can feel an episode coming on, and choose to be proactive with movement to counter it
Or they take a week off from exercise and start to feel a lowness creeping in

What Blindboy calls 'the free happy brain chemicals'

Hit my target for pushups for the year today
Target was 73,000 - 365 days x 200 per day

On track for something like 83,000
Doing one for every day of the year
Today is 327

Onwards

Marvellous Marvin Hagler's training camp:

Hagler used to isolate himself at the very tip of Cape Cod (near his hometown Brockton, Massachusetts) in a remote beach hotel. He would wake up at 3 AM every morning and do sprints on the beach at Cape Cod in heavy combat boots- half of it running backwards. Sprints are a great way to build up your endurance and body. Sprinters maximally contract their muscles, which requires a lot more work than a slow, staggered, constant run. Not to mention, your testosterone and hormones are released in greater amounts with short maximal energy bursts.During the winter, it was said to be one of the coldest places on Earth due to the heavy wind. Marvin would actually be screaming due to the pain of the cold and the pain in his legs and lungs. Then he went into "solitary" till six in the evening. At six, he went to the gym they'd set up alongside the pool at a hotel nearby. Your body tends to burn even more calories in the cold, as your energy expenditure increases. Therefore, this could be part of the reason why Hagler was extremely lean.There, they would perform a circuit of jumping rope, heavybag, speedbag, and situps (where they'd do several rounds each), but one strict rule was adhered to: three minutes work, one minute rest, for all of it. This mimics that of a typical boxing match and will get Hagler ready for his matches.After that they would do their sparring routine. Marvin had to have several sparring partners in camp with him because he used them up with such regularity. "Marvin don't ease up on you," said longtime sparring partner and world champion Buster Drayton. There's no play when it comes to Marvelous Marvin; "he comes to work". This is another great way to get him ready for his matches.Marvin would spar with three to four sparring partners, where he went two rounds each before moving on to the next fresh partner. This dramatically improved his conditioning and taught him to remain in great position even while he was tired. Drayton also said that his sparring partners would leave the ring with the insides of their mouths so chewed up from Hagler's blows that they couldn't even eat dinner that night.After that, he would rest, eat, and watch film of himself and his opponents. The workouts were open to the public, so he'd remove his gear, toss a nod to the audience, and return to the self-imposed solitary confinement. Those working with him in camp have said that he wouldn't even socialize, because he wanted to remain so focused on his goals. He stayed in his room, and could be seen frequently sitting alone on his balcony staring out at the Cape water for long periods at a time. Marvin made sure that he worked out 7 days a week and got atleast 100 rounds of sparring in every week, but most importantly, he was always fast asleep by 8 PM to get his 7 hours before his 3 AM run. Source: Ring Magazine article

Marvellous Marvin Hagler's training camp:
I worked for a few months in Brockton, MA
The guy was idolised beyond anything I'd seen before
Likely cos a lot of the lads got an excuse to go to Vegas on the semi-regular
But the town was fantastically proud of him

He legally changed his name because newspapers wouldn't print his nickname. The lengths a black man will have to go to, just to get the respect he deserves.

Had heard about the Provincetown (Cape Cod) training, never really read too much about it though. Thanks.

That's the heart of a champ right there. I envy the mindset.

To get what nobody else has, you have to be prepared to do what nobody else will do.

1703865493026.png

I worked for a few months in Brockton, MA
The guy was idolised beyond anything I'd seen before
Likely cos a lot of the lads got an excuse to go to Vegas on the semi-regular
But the town was fantastically proud of him

He legally changed his name because newspapers wouldn't print his nickname. The lengths a black man will have to go to, just to get the respect he deserves.

Had heard about the Provincetown (Cape Cod) training, never really read too much about it though. Thanks.

That's the heart of a champ right there. I envy the mindset.

To get what nobody else has, you have to be prepared to do what nobody else will do.

View attachment 17981
When Marvin won the World title in 1980 in London v Alan Minter, the fight was stopped earlier than most fights would have been back then*.
A riot broke out and all sorts of missiles were thrown into the ring.
The irony of what happened next -
A huge amount of policemen gathered around Marvelous and quickly got him safely back to the changing rooms.

After boxers died during title fights in the early 80's bouts went from 15 rounds down 12 as a result.

A friend, somehow, may (hopefully not) have contracted Endogenous Endophthalmitis (salmonella in the eye).

The guy is away at uni, so I haven't seen him in person. We laughed at first, classic Davenothisrealname.
But having looked it up, it's actually quite bad. Eleven recorded cases in England, ever, all of which resulted in enucleation, which is doctor talk for pulling your eyeball out.

Food hygiene is important boys and girls. Wash your hands.

A friend, somehow, may (hopefully not) have contracted Endogenous Endophthalmitis (salmonella in the eye).

The guy is away at uni, so I haven't seen him in person. We laughed at first, classic Davenothisrealname.
But having looked it up, it's actually quite bad. Eleven recorded cases in England, ever, all of which resulted in enucleation, which is doctor talk for pulling your eyeball out.

Food hygiene is important boys and girls. Wash your hands.
That poor man. I had to look it up. It says its normally contracted from puncture wounds such as can happen in surgery. Is he a rare case? Wishing him the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back