Your Health Is Your Wealth (5 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 64K
  • Watchers 9
I know I am a broken record on teh running

But if you are feeling depressed or suffer from it regularly - try to get outside for a good long walk or run or bike ride
Doctors prescribe it, they should do so as a matter of course

i also have heard people suffering from depression say 'if one more fucker hears about my depression and tells me 'i just need to go for a walk', i'll stab them'.

what works for you does not work for everyone.

i also have heard people suffering from depression say 'if one more fucker hears about my depression and tells me 'i just need to go for a walk', i'll stab them'.

what works for you does not work for everyone.

Doctors are prescribing it so maybe take it up with them on being such busybodies about it.
Or stab them for trying to help their patients. I dunno. Your shout.
I don't care whether you do or not - just putting the info out there that it's proven to work.

I've been lucky enough to never suffered from depression.
So it's never actually worked for me, just seen it help person after person.

I think it’s often offered as a glib “sure, exercise will cure it!” thing because generally, yeah, it cheers you up. But if you’re suffering from actual clinical depression, it’s like someone offering to put Savlon on a broken femur.

I think it’s often offered as a glib “sure, exercise will cure it!” thing because generally, yeah, it cheers you up. But if you’re suffering from actual clinical depression, it’s like someone offering to put Savlon on a broken femur.

Not sure I said it was a cure. Pretty sure I didn't.
It's more than "cheer you up", it's been recognised to help manage symptoms long term both anecdotally and clinically.
RUnning can be as effective as medication according to studies. Most recent one is in the Journal of Affective Disorders. People send me this stuff.
Not a cure, and it's tough to accurately measure, but the Savlon analogy doesn't really hold at all.
It's not nothing. And it's not homeopathy.

If you're saying that dumb people say stupid and unhelpful things sometimes, then I agree.
But not sure what the point is.

Glib Savlon pitchperson out here

We can only hope that she has been stabbed since this was written

Not sure I said it was a cure. Pretty sure I didn't.
It's more than "cheer you up", it's been recognised to help manage symptoms long term both anecdotally and clinically.
RUnning can be as effective as medication according to studies. Most recent one is in the Journal of Affective Disorders. People send me this stuff.
Not a cure, and it's tough to accurately measure, but the Savlon analogy doesn't really hold at all.
It's not nothing. And it's not homeopathy.

If you're saying that dumb people say stupid and unhelpful things sometimes, then I agree.
But not sure what the point is.
I think you’re overreacting to what I posted. It’s absolutely good for your mental health*, and it will help if you have depression but you said yourself you’ve never suffered from depression. It’s not just feeling sad, it’s a complete wipeout of mood, motivation, and self-care. You’re talking about things like brushing your teeth or changing your underwear every day or having a shower becoming massive tasks that seem like too much effort to engage in. Getting someone who may never been a walker or a runner to do that is massive. And if they do go for a walk, it’s not going to make a material difference until they’ve done a few weeks of it (similar to antidepressants but they’re at least low effort).

And I know you’re meaning well but it is one of those cliches that people with depression face all the time - go for a walk, get out for a run, etc. If only it was that easy.

Weirdly, I’m coming at this as someone who has both had depression and has worked on those kind of studies. I’ve seen how the sausage is made for those studies and see the limitations as much as the findings. Both from a scientific perspective and from a patient’s perspective. I’m not saying that exercise is a bad idea by any means but @magicbastarder’s point is really important here.

*yeah the Savlon analogy is off but it was more that it was a small inroad into a big injury

The context was having open conversations about mental health

Running/movement is something that's proven to be effective for symptoms of depression - it's a very strong weapon in the medical arsenal - and both your reactions were variations on
"That's something fucking twats say, and it doesn't work"
i.e. fuck off with that shit (you twat) you haven't a clue

Not a reaction that's super conducive to having open conversations about mental health tbh

Or helpful to anyone considering using movement to improve their state of mind

When Mrs. egg_ was suffering from long covid* she'd often get asked "Have you tried yoga?".

* fyi she's pretty much back to normal now (just with the odd little glitch), but it took 3 years

Not a reaction that's super conducive to having open conversations about mental health tbh

Or helpful to anyone considering using movement to improve their state of mind

if i meet someone suffering from depression, i offer no advice, just questions or sympathy (if apt). because there's nothing i can say to them that they won't already have heard or tried.

however, i can see you took what i said badly. my comment was informed by having had a health scare about ten or twelve years ago and the number of people offering me well meaning but useless advice was surprising and became Really Fucking Irritating.

however, i can see you took what i said badly.
I'm pretty sure I took it as it was intended

Me saying that there's a proven link between running and improvement in depression symptoms was Really Fucking Irritating to you - irritating enough to want to stab someone - because you think it's a useless thing to say

But it's not

Last edited:
It's very emotional, but I don't know what course of action it's suggesting. Is it saying that if the miserable-looking lad had asked the cheerful looking lad "are you doing alright?" then he would have opened up and everything would have been ok?

I think the message was if that he wasn't so annoying to hang out with at football matches he would have survived.

my comment was informed by having had a health scare about ten or twelve years ago and the number of people offering me well meaning but useless advice was surprising and became Really Fucking Irritating.
Advice may not be well-informed or useful, or even counter-productive or downright dangerous, but if you squint your eyes a little bit you can see that it's a nice thing that people care enough to offer it

oh, i know. but repeatedly being told 'you definitely have lyme disease' when i didn't, even after me telling people i didn't; or people insisting that my doctor was wrong, became a little grating.

actually, i may have mentioned here before; but that started out as a rash, and then turned into minutes long flashes of deja vu; the first and longest happened when i was walking into town, and started as i was crossing dorset street and was still going as i passed clerys.

anyway, i ended up in the hermitage A&E and was triaged by a nurse who looked at me blankly when i said i was having massive flashes of deja vu. she'd never heard of it before.
then i was seen by a doctor who asked me to explain my symptoms.
'i've been having massive flashes of deja vu'
'no, tell me what you were experiencing'
'i was experiencing massive flashes of deja vu'
(slightly irritated) 'no, i need to know what you were actually feeling, what was happening to you'
'i was, uh, having massive flashes of deja vu'

it was at that point i realised that he assumed i had not known what deja vu was, that i had googled my symptoms and latched onto this new concept of 'deja vu' and was telling him what i had googled.

was 'a virus'. my GP said my bloods were showing the signs that i was fighting a virus, and he had me tested for all the common ones with them all coming back negative (though i do remember he commented i had antibodies for toxoplasmosis, but no active infection).
i'd been for a CT scan because of that deja vu stuff (in case it was a tumour or epilepsy), and ended up with a four to six month hangover (headaches, aversion to bright light, joint pains, etc.) but the doc told me that as i'd already been through the stress of worrying about epilepsy and the other stuff, his advice was not to chase what virus it was - that it could take loads of blood tests to find out, and even if i did find out, that there was probably not going to be a lot he could do anyway, so suggested just leaving it and waiting for the symptoms to die off (which they eventually did) and i took that advice.

funny thing is, i'm going through some vaguely similar stuff now (headaches, tinnitus etc) and it's probably less than 50/50 on whether it's covid related.

When Mrs. egg_ was suffering from long covid* she'd often get asked "Have you tried yoga?".

* fyi she's pretty much back to normal now (just with the odd little glitch), but it took 3 years

Really glad to hear she's finally back from it. Must have been really tough on you as a family but obviously mostly on her, I imagine she got frustrated.

was 'a virus'. my GP said my bloods were showing the signs that i was fighting a virus, and he had me tested for all the common ones with them all coming back negative (though i do remember he commented i had antibodies for toxoplasmosis, but no active infection).
i'd been for a CT scan because of that deja vu stuff (in case it was a tumour or epilepsy), and ended up with a four to six month hangover (headaches, aversion to bright light, joint pains, etc.) but the doc told me that as i'd already been through the stress of worrying about epilepsy and the other stuff, his advice was not to chase what virus it was - that it could take loads of blood tests to find out, and even if i did find out, that there was probably not going to be a lot he could do anyway, so suggested just leaving it and waiting for the symptoms to die off (which they eventually did) and i took that advice.

funny thing is, i'm going through some vaguely similar stuff now (headaches, tinnitus etc) and it's probably less than 50/50 on whether it's covid related.

years ago I went through about 6months of this. Still suffer from glare.
I was working with a lot of clinicians at the time and they ran bloods etc for me, nothing showing up beyond CRP being elevated.
Wife and I were living in an incredibly mouldy flat at the time, and I reckon it might have been exposure to the spores of something..

i have suspected that the start of that bout of ill health came from when i agreed to do a little bit of gardening for my parents. my mother asked could i let my nephew help (he was three or four) but he managed to accidentally fling a load of loose soil into my face - in the eyes and into the mouth. IIRC the symptoms started soon after. could be completely unrelated though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back