Your Health Is Your Wealth (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 64K
  • Watchers 9
Any thoughts on this?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Morelike if you really want something, you can achieve it
And more like mind over mind.

You have to want it.
I've gone from 18 stone to under 14 in two years.
A lot of that was because I stopped focusing on weight. I wanted to swim. Like I'm going to die in 20 or so years, and I want to swim properly before then. I'm now a slow but competent swimmer.
And I discovered running, and I wanted to find out how good a runner I could become. And I'm now a pretty good runner for my age. BQ level at the marathon.
These things took a long time, but the journey is rewarding.
You are finally free from wanting things to doing the actual things.
Weight loss is a lovely side effect, but it came from pursuing things I wanted.

For me, I decided I wanted these things and there was nothing - not my own excuses, not my own laziness, not any fucking stupid ideas I had about it being too hard or for other people - nothing was gonna stand in my way.
If I gave up, all that was waiting for me was going back to where I'd been. And I didn't want to go back there.

There's the pain of discipline and the pain of regret.
I try every day to choose the former.

Fair play to ya...
my main thing with exercise over the years... is

a). I'm not what I'd call abstractly competitive - i.e. I don't lose my shit over games, sports etc - while I enjoy them I never get the motivation to go all in
b). clumsy as fuck, so a) is possibly a conditioned result of b).

and

c). with a few exceptions, and generally wanting to maintain a reasonable level of strength and fitness, I've never found a sense of purpose from going all in with the exercise. I love physical work as its productive, but I would rather dig holes all day in the rain than go for a 30min run.

may change with time- as more bits of me start to fall to shit and i need to be more proactive

I don't think you really need to go all in. I exercise for around half an hour every work lunchtime, and the only reason I'll allow myself to skip it is if I had to do something else and can't afford the time (like I had to bring the kids somewhere) or if I'm actually sick (like off sick from work). If I'm feeling tight for time cos I'm real busy in work, fuck it I'll take the time anyway. If I'm feeling under the weather or I'm injured I'll do something easy like some easy yoga or just go for half an hour's walk

This is all made possible by the fact i work 100% at home, of course ... but anyway what I'm getting at is you don't need to do a @Deadmanposting on it. I've never been competitive, and I won't be running a marathon any time soon, but I can run 5k or push a wheelbarrow or play badminton with my teenagers for half an hour without feeling wrecked afterwards. I can touch my toes and and my BMI is 21.2

(@JohnnyRaz you don't have to be a runner, my half-hour will often be splitting wood or scything or hedge-trimming or similar)

i haven't got a competitive bone in my body, sports wise, and i don't have the co-ordination for team sports (i went to a rugby playing school and fucking hated the mandatory four days a week training). so cycling is good for me. you can treat cycling as a team sport if you wish, as a solo sport, as a means of exercise, as a means of commuting, or as a means of leisure. or several combinations of those.

Or you can do something like this. It pains me to praise an FG TD.

Any thoughts on this?

I can't watch two hours of something
It sounds fine (after 3 or 4 minutes), and no harm in doing it.
Would actually like to try it - just to limit glucose spiking; I get knackered after lunch.
I'd still say it's far from a magic bullet, but who knows?

Most people I know that have lost weight have sworn by the 10-6 intermittent thing (which is more or less targeting the same spiking process)
I had a lot of success with keto, but it's difficult to stay within the rails on it

Fair play to ya...
my main thing with exercise over the years... is

a). I'm not what I'd call abstractly competitive - i.e. I don't lose my shit over games, sports etc - while I enjoy them I never get the motivation to go all in
b). clumsy as fuck, so a) is possibly a conditioned result of b).

and

c). with a few exceptions, and generally wanting to maintain a reasonable level of strength and fitness, I've never found a sense of purpose from going all in with the exercise. I love physical work as its productive, but I would rather dig holes all day in the rain than go for a 30min run.

may change with time- as more bits of me start to fall to shit and i need to be more proactive
Everything works better when we find the thing that works for us.
For some lads it's weights or rowing or burpees or running or whatever. A thing you don't despise doing that you would like to get better at, or you can apply real consistency to.

This lady is a friend of mine. And I kind of love her.
For her, it was pushups. For me it's become running. For you, it could be anything.

For this guy it's burpees

For this guy it's 250 mile ultras

We don't have to become these people. But they are not different or more special than us, they have jut re-wired their brains to the power of possibility.
We just have to find our thing.
you can find your thing, johnny.
Everything is easier when we stop telling ourselves that we can't do something or it's not for us or we don't belong.

We can do hard things.

Unpopular opinion: People who talk like this unironically should seek the advice of a mental health professional.

1688480102210.png

If they were that enthusiastic about being negative you wouldn’t disagree, would you?

if someone has found the trick to happiness in their life, it behooves us to brazenly steal the bits of it that we like or work for us (and let them get on with the rest of it for themselves)

Also runners get high AF on endorphins.
I sorta know where his head is at.
I don't touch alcohol anymore, but I will drunk text half my goddamn contacts after a long run.

Would actually like to try it - just to limit glucose spiking; I get knackered after lunch.
This is something I can strongly identify with. I gave up all sweets for lent and my energy levels went through the fucking roof. I had been eating a load of biscuits at lunch thinking they'd give me the energy to go HARD in the afternoon but the exact opposite was the case! and it was the lent thing that shed light on it.

Needless to say I went on my hollyers and ate ice cream every day and was back on the sweet stuff and once again I was plagued by fatigue.

So I'm back off them and putting in MAD days work no bother at all! Its great. I'm definitely gonna try keep it going permanently this time..fuck it. Theres more to life than choclate hobnobs .

I need to be enjoying my work not suffering

I can't pass a shop without going in for some sweets
I'm an absolute hoor for chocolate and cake

Constant vigilance needed on my part

Yesterday's 'reward' for my long swim - three fat fingers of lemon drizzle cake

1688492851357.png

Apparently I'm like a fucking dog and I need rewards

Last edited:
When I say sweets I mean sweets, cakes, muffins, pastries, chocolate. I do have biscuits largely under control. If there are biscuits I'll eat the whole lot immediately but I don't buy them, or at least very rarely. And I don't seem to have a crisps habit, although I eat them occasionally. I eat plenty fruit and veg so it cancels it out.

I can't eat biscuits because at this stage, I see them for what they are - basically jumbo sized choco bars
Like if I open the packet, it's all getting eaten

But put me in a coffee shop and my face is plastered to the pastry case, licking the motherfucker

But to Gaz's point, like if I eat a massive roll at lunch or especially a big rice or potato yoke, I'm basically ready for a nap
And it also kicks in my sweet tooth. Like my body is yelling "SUGARRRRR" - and I've just given it loads of carbs.
Kinda fucked up sitch.

I love physical work as its productive, but I would rather dig holes all day in the rain than go for a 30min run.
I'm the same. Get me working and I don't stop but you'd have to be coming at me with a knife to make me run. A gun, I wouldn't even bother as they'd probably get me, no matter if I run or not. That's how much I hate running. I do like long distance walking though. I find it peaceful and relaxing. I have and would rather walk 25k before I'd ever run it.

Food wise, I am generally pretty good. I only eat about 6 hours in the day and the rest is a fast. I drink lots of water and don't eat a lot of carbs. If I do, it's mostly from veg minus the potato. I think it's my age/gender more than anything but I just can't shift weight. I would like to lose 2 stone but I don't think it will ever happen at this stage. It's annoying to watch men drop weight fast though. Damn hormones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back