Your Health Is Your Wealth (7 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 67K
  • Watchers 9
Love this guy

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As a woman, I beg to differ.
You said you eat well alright and I already had given you an 'informative' for that, Jill.

But otherwise several folks here said they eat stuff that is very unhealthy but do hardcore exercise.
Left me scratching my head.
Eating properly is much easier to get right.

Made the kind of silly suggestion to the pushup group that we move from 200 per day to one for every day of the year

They went for it without even discussing.

This was not a great move on my part. Doing 360 odd pushups on Christmas Day won't be ideal. But I can do it once.

44,767 pushups so far this year

Been reading about zone 2 training, and thinking maybe I should get a heart rate monitor. I don't have a watch of any kind, and I don't want to have to carry my phone around when I'm running or whatever. Some kind of chest strap thing with a basic display on my wrist would be ideal. Any ideas?

Been reading about zone 2 training, and thinking maybe I should get a heart rate monitor. I don't have a watch of any kind, and I don't want to have to carry my phone around when I'm running or whatever. Some kind of chest strap thing with a basic display on my wrist would be ideal. Any ideas?
a Fitbit or similar will monitor your heart by reading your pulse. I don't think you need anything additional strapped to your chest

I have the chest strap one
Amazon product ASIN B085JKM9DR
But I think you need something to connect it wirelessly to
Like it counts your heartbeat - but it needs a watch or phone to collect the data

I like mine

And Johnny's right, I think if you're starting out, then a base model Garmin watch would be simpler pace to start
Good enough for Zone 2 training - I think

Last edited:
Heart rate monitors are pretty cheap now I guess.
But, thing is once you wear one for a while you don't really need to because you'll know within a few BPM what your rate is by feel. (Unless it's over anaerobic threashold, then it becomes more tricky.)

If you want to start today, without a monitor, do whatever you're doing, walking or cycling or whatever it is, up until the point that having a conversation just starts being awkward. You're talking no problem, but you'll have to stop here and there just to grab breaths if the sentence is long. You'll be able to have a normal conversation, but you'll be aware that you have to somehow fit your breaths in around the talking.

The most telling bit is that you can meter out that exact effort, while doing this type of conversation, indefinitely. (indefinitely being defined as an hour or more.) Nothing is running away from you, you're modulating effort, you're not having to stop and pant. It's just a deep, controlled, rhythmic breathing that you can talk through.

The problem with working out what number of BPM your threashold is via a formula is it's not exactly one size fits all. If you understand the physiology underneath it, you'll just know when you're below it, and you'll actually be able to see when you step over it.

I've mentioned it before, but to work out your own anaerobic threshold you will need a heart rate monitor, and it's handy if you have a power meter (but not essential).

step 1) warm up, properly. Like, it would take me more than 45 minutes to warm up for example. You need to be able to hit a steady state, and have nothing really varying. This isn't easy until you're properly warmed up.

2) meter out some effort under threshold (like sit at 140 bpm) if you haven't a clue. But sit at some power output that you can maintain forever.

3) look at your pulse, and notice that if you put a little more power out, the rate will ramp a little. If you ease off a little, the rate will drop a little. You're looking for this control, a direct connection between effort and BPM.

4) notice how these numbers relate. As in, notice that you can bump up your pulse by 4bpm, hold it, and back it off again. In your mind you need to be getting a feeling of how that 4bpm feels power wise.

5) keep slowly bumping the effort up, and watching the pulse. You should have that same feeling of control, a little more effort, a little more BPM, up until a magic number. For me it was 164 I think. But there's a magic number that small increments in effort no longer correlate to that same bpm bump. Suddenly the extra effort costs you more BPM, and in general the BPM feels less finely controllable. Like, for me it would suddenly spiral off to 170 / 180 / 185, and I'd lost this linear feeling correlation. To get it back below threshold I'd basically have to sit up and rest somehow.

At the start you'll get an idea of what the number is, and you'll be able to hover around that region, looking for when you step over it, looking for this point where the nice linear power correlation starts slipping away from you. That's your number.

It's pretty easy to do this once you're able to meter out steady effort. Getting properly warmed up, getting to that solid steady state, that's the hard bit.

I think we're talking about running
Power meters are for bikes

I still think a relatively cheap watch for running is kind of essential - if you're doing anything more than just having fun

I don't really care what the exercise is tbh, but it's mad hilly around me and I tend to totally wear myself out if I go on the bike. Skipping is my favourite exercise, but I have a long-standing calf thing that means I can only do it for 15 mins (though I'm building that up very slowly)

... which probably mean we are talking about running, I suppose

I don't really care what the exercise is tbh, but it's mad hilly around me and I tend to totally wear myself out if I go on the bike. Skipping is my favourite exercise, but I have a long-standing calf thing that means I can only do it for 15 mins (though I'm building that up very slowly)

... which probably mean we are talking about running, I suppose

When i lived in Donegal I used to cycle and there was only really one flat road out of town, but after a few months i'd gotten so used to the hills i'd be looking forward to tearing up them.

Now i live in the flattest place that isn't made by dutch people and need to 40km to find one. I miss them.

cycling on flat roads is boring as hell. give me hills any day (bar the ones with technical descents) (i.e. ones with poor sightlines so you don't get to enjoy going down them)

Fuuuck that

I'd be happy to never cycle up another hill

Give me a rail trail to eternity so I can flyyyyyyy

I bike up this hill every Friday to get to a workout group and it's a challenge.
Half mile where the gradient varies from~7%- 8% to ~15%-16%

Then we run up and down it.

As we're running up and down, there's lads on bikes going up and down. We're odd ol' creatures, the humans.

When I did my 70.3, I deliberately picked the race with the flattest bike ride. Not doing hills unless I have to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back