Your Health Is Your Wealth (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 64K
  • Watchers 9
There’s a gym in work but you’ve to sign up for a fitness class when you start going, and I can’t face that. Small talk always gets a bit weird after a while and I don’t fancy that with a load of sweating work people around me.
All I want is a rowing machine and to be left alone.
Use the gym as you like
Get on that machine!

Halfway point in the year - or as near as makes no difference

If I get 'em done today, I will have done 6 months of 200 or more pushups per day

Still don't love 'em, but damn they make a difference to how my whole frame sits
I look good!

The numbahs
1688130505894.png

Last edited:
Are these things a waste of money? I have a hand injury which means i can't place it flat, so pushups are too hard. But this looks like it would address that issue

Are these things a waste of money? I have a hand injury which means i can't place it flat, so pushups are too hard. But this looks like it would address that issue

Surely you could cobble something similar together yourself?

Personally I think that anything that makes you more likely to do the thing, is a good thing and not waste

This looks like something you could make with a few handles out of B&Q and some plywood

Something I think about a lot is Giorgio Moroder saying "Once you free your mind about music and harmony being ‘correct’, you can do whatever you want."

I would say find something - anything - that allows you to do the exercise without significant discomfort in the bad hand. A pile of pillows or an iron. Anything. No rights or wrings.

My experience is that far more important than the form is the consistency.
Tell yourself for a week or a month, you are gonna do this thing with no days off. "I will not go to bed without doing my pushups"
They can be good or crappy, but get 'em done.

I know this kinda sounds like happy horseshit but the practice will change you.

Sorry, that was a very long answer to a short question. But I've had my life changed and I love seeing other people go for it.

for your case, it sounds like it would definitely help.

remember too that bench-press type exercises will work the same muscles as press-ups. There are tonnes of ways to achieve bench-press without an actual bar and weights (such as resistance bands).

My physio had these, for people with bad wrists, so I'd say the concept is legit. She had two separate individual 'handles' tho, not on a board, so the positioning was entirely up to yourself. Looked like suction cups for for doing cat burgling.
1688292759614.png

Notification this morning that my v02 max went up to 52
Not sure if I should trust this cheapish watch to accurately gauge that but I'm taking it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230703-073215.png
    Screenshot_20230703-073215.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 5
Well done

for those of us who never heard of it before..
I'm mostly happy that it went up a single point from 51
But I have a cheapish €200 sports watch, so it's not exactly cutting edge science

Anything with your body, the gains are gonna be incremental and difficult to notice - except in bigger time frames
Just feels good to have things go the right direction, even if it's ever ever so slightly

In your 50s a non-loss is effectively a gain. If you hold on to that VO2 Max until you're 60 you'll be off the charts
That would be nice

The way I feel now only injury or illness could stop me.
I love doing this stuff, the rewards are off the charts already.

At the start of Covid I literally couldn't swim 10 feet. This afternoon I swam over a mile, with a beautiful woman. I felt happy, I felt good about my (Dad) body, I was relaxed and at peace.
I think I've altered my brain chemistry, I don't always recognise myself.

Anyways, a nice goal this year would be to have my (crappy Garmin v02) match my age - 53

And none of what i am saying is intended to sound oh-i'm-so-great.
Anything I've done, anyone can do relatively easily. Just drop any rules we have in our head about what we can or cannot do.

Ok, once again I am fucking monologuing.

Peace out

Love to all

That would be nice

The way I feel now only injury or illness could stop me.
I love doing this stuff, the rewards are off the charts already.

At the start of Covid I literally couldn't swim 10 feet. This afternoon I swam over a mile, with a beautiful woman. I felt happy, I felt good about my (Dad) body, I was relaxed and at peace.
I think I've altered my brain chemistry, I don't always recognise myself.

Anyways, a nice goal this year would be to have my (crappy Garmin v02) match my age - 53

And none of what i am saying is intended to sound oh-i'm-so-great.
Anything I've done, anyone can do relatively easily. Just drop any rules we have in our head about what we can or cannot do.

Ok, once again I am fucking monologuing.

Peace out

Love to all
basically -
''I put my mind to this and feel empowered by what I achieved - sort of mind over matter.
if I can do this, I can do most things I put my mind to''

some of the things you mentioned are going beyond anything I would be interested in attempting.

I've lost loads of weight twice - at 29 I weighed nearly 17 stone and bought a really big wedding outfit - for when I put on more weight of course.
I got my weight down to just under 12 stone twice since but it was very tenuous and heavily based on eating strictly - lots are veg and having a very strict routine.
exercise was more laid back 5-7 walking miles at my own pace.

weigh 13 1/2 stone now - steadily heading in right direction.

If the title of this thread is correct, I’m piss poor. I need to drive an hour to go prime a staircase I sanded on Sunday. My back is sore, I’m limping, I have neuropathy in hands and feet with possibly a fractured finger that didn’t heal correctly and I got very little sleep. 😵‍💫

''I put my mind to this and feel empowered by what I achieved - sort of mind over matter.
if I can do this, I can do most things I put my mind to''
Morelike if you really want something, you can achieve it
And more like mind over mind.

You have to want it.
I've gone from 18 stone to under 14 in two years.
A lot of that was because I stopped focusing on weight. I wanted to swim. Like I'm going to die in 20 or so years, and I want to swim properly before then. I'm now a slow but competent swimmer.
And I discovered running, and I wanted to find out how good a runner I could become. And I'm now a pretty good runner for my age. BQ level at the marathon.
These things took a long time, but the journey is rewarding.
You are finally free from wanting things to doing the actual things.
Weight loss is a lovely side effect, but it came from pursuing things I wanted.

For me, I decided I wanted these things and there was nothing - not my own excuses, not my own laziness, not any fucking stupid ideas I had about it being too hard or for other people - nothing was gonna stand in my way.
If I gave up, all that was waiting for me was going back to where I'd been. And I didn't want to go back there.

There's the pain of discipline and the pain of regret.
I try every day to choose the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back