Your first guitar, with pics and story? (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
- Borrowed acoustics x 2
- An ad in the herald, "Guitar and amp £130". Showed the ad to my dad and next thing we're going on a drive. Even when we're in the guy's house I have no idea how this is going to be paid for. 1986 I think. Amp was a 5 watt practice amp that would run on batteries.

It was an "Audition", Mustang shaped sunbust thing.

Crap at staying in tune, crap sounding. I'd love to still have it.

edit:
just found this!
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Audition/Jaguar+Style/10/1
shoulda kept it

bought a Jap Squier Strat, monthly payments, old man co-signed for me. cherry red, still have it, covered in stickers now. haven't actually taken it outta the case in about 3 years...i'm assuming i still have it, actually.

the very first was 50 punts in the local music store, it tore itself apart under the weight of its own strings after about 8 months. a friend offered me this 'hokada' Romanian made nylon string. the nut thing at the end of the neck was broke, so i chopped up a pencil with a pen knife to replace it. a few years later i added the pickup which was 15 quid and is terrible. its still my main writing/drunk guitar, holds tuning really well - i fucked off on holiday for 3 months once and it was still almost tuned when i got home, but the intonation is shit from the 10th onward. rarely record with it, as the body is dying and currently held together by the stickers and cellotape. it creaks and distorts constantly, which is cool. if had it for 13-14 years i think, i have no idea how old it is though. embarrassing stickers have been there since i were young, and i'd really be afraid to take them off.

s7300058.jpg

should look like this one.

http://www.themusicgallery.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=hokada

Heres mine..in action, in my mates shed circa 1987

It's an "Axe" a cheapo oriental make that magazines like Kerrang advertised the hell out of. It came with a horrible see through plastic gig-bag,a tiny battery operated amp and an instruction book with little cartoons.

It took me ages to figure out how to make a bar chord because I was trying to copy the poorly drawn little cartoon.

I'll never forget the howls of derision when I met some metallers in Dublin and they're like " It's not an Axe is it!!?"

It's a pain that never ends

I still have it, 2000ad and guns n roses stickers and all

Jammin.jpg

First acoustic was a steel stringed spanish thing the folks got me for my birthday when i was nine for (i think) 30 punts. I'd been playing the brother's bass for a while so it wasn't too bad, but when i was about eleven i got in an argument with him and smashed it into his knee and the action went from terrible to unplayable. Luckily, he'd brought me back a black encore strat thing from the J1 that he'd got in "Rick's Music". Ah, memories. I still hate black strats. (image from google, not actual guitar)
encore_1.jpg

i got a suzuki acoustic guitar for my 13th birthday in 1990 - its a lovely thing altogether. there was already several acoustic guitars in the house that my dad and older siblings had acquired as well as various other instruments but this one was the best yet. £60 second hand from some lad the brother knew. i knocked it over in 2000 when i was drunk and the head broke off it (turned out it had been broken before i got it and it broke at the same place again) and my heart was broken but mcneills on capel st fixed it :)heart:) and its so its still going strong as ever. here it is all amped up and feedbacking a few months ago:

411869407_0f7eb0ed85.jpg

i got a black encore strat for christmas 1991 and a little roland amp in waltons on north frederick st - both are still going although slightly the worse for wear. i often play the encore (which looks like rsj's guitar above) in preference to the fender cyclone i got in 1999 (which really needs a good service)

[FONT=&quot]£37 acoustic from Salmon’s department store, main st. Ballinasloe. Got it for my 9th birthday. Impossible to play, and I spent many years being as totally useless as the guitar because of it.[/FONT]

The back of it started to come away from the sides eventually, then a cousin dropped it and the front came away from the side as well, making it a tremolo guitar. Then the mother threw it out. I wish I still had it, the piece of shit.

Got it for Christmas when I was eleven or twelve. My brother painted it like the Pat Smear guitar a few years later.

1037784702_9e3e7e27d2.jpg

you know what? i totally lied. my first guitar was a copy of a Rickenbacher 4001 which my grandfather bought me for $150 out of the local paper. i'll never forget that guitar, i learned everything worth learning on it. it was fun, i remember learning to play along with Metallica and Pistols albums, not quite guitar, not quite bass...great days.

Here's my first one.
My dad was working in Moscow & brought this back with him.

UNIQUE, I think, is the correct term.

IMG%5D
DSC00416.jpg

The Star Trek fret markers were a later addition.

IMG%5D

I headed down to the old guitar shop in Swords and bought a spanish guitar in the summer of 1994. It was about £70. That shop, moments after, evaporated into the ether. How I miss it.

The guitar was a placeholder. About a year later I bought my first electric - off Red(tape)Menace no less. A Hohner Professional - Tele. Beautiful looking. Sounded a little rum. Purple Sunburst and a marble scratch plate. Complete with lipstick pickup. I regret selling it. No photos of either.

I headed down to the old guitar shop in Swords and bought a spanish guitar in the summer of 1994. It was about £70. That shop, moments after, evaporated into the ether. How I miss it.

The guitar was a placeholder. About a year later I bought my first electric - off Red(tape)Menace no less. A Hohner Professional - Tele. Beautiful looking. Sounded a little rum. Purple Sunburst and a marble scratch plate. Complete with lipstick pickup. I regret selling it. No photos of either.

AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH

A PURPLE HOHNER TELE!!!!

YOU SOLD IT!!!!!

AND NOT TO MEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back