Yoga in or around Rathmines/Ranelagh (1 Viewer)

wild_cat

Does anyone know of any yoga classes in or around the Rathmines or Ranelagh area perhaps?

My problem with it was that being around hostile, smug, superior pricks stresses me out. You go to yoga and they're all in a room, waiting for you, and then some even more smug instructor comes in and tells you to put it all out of your head and relax. Well, Einstein, if I could put this shit out of my head, I wouldn't be here.

Then if I can even get a bit flexible and relaxed, it all goes to shit when everyone goes, "Nah-mass-tay" at the end of the class.

They make it sound like, "Oh, it doesn't work if you don't say 'namaste'! Your time will be all wasted and you will be the opposite of yoga!" And I'm like, "Go ahead and say it, but you won't fucking get me to join in your little 'Glory Be.'" Then they try to say something else but I can never tell what because by then I've shoved a couple of damp rags into their mouth.

The stretching and breathing shit is great, I just can't do classes.

Sitting in a room full of strangers is pretty distressing even on a good day. Sitting in a room full of strangers who are behaving passive aggressively and insisting they are just 'centred' when they seem to lack even the little self-awareness they came in with -- that's my idea of hell.

Yoga is good if you're a decent person who just wants to relax and be bendy, but it just seems to make passive aggressive nouveau riche people even ruder. And in order to take yoga classes, you have to put up with them, and I just can't. I dunno how people I like can do it all the time.

I try to do some at home with what I learned in the few classes I went to. I should go for a refresher or two to make sure I'm doing them right, but I just really hate yoga classes, if you can't tell. I also hate exercise classes of any kind, by the way.

Here no horror stories please....

Ye'll turn my iff about it into iffy.

Any internet search will tell you that if you consistently do some stretchingtons for a week, even if you haven't stretched for twenty years, you will have the stretchingtons of a small child. Pretending you are some kind of lion or stork has nothing to do with it. Nor does being aware that you are breathing in and out have any positive effect on you breathing in and out. You have to breath in and out to stay alive anyway.

my housemate does yoga and she's awesome, the least pretentious and least stressed-out person i've ever met. we have a yoga room in the house and all.

also everyone i know who does yoga has amazingly flat stomachs.

Just drink loads of cans Roisin, it makes you very relaxed altogether.

And Jane, while ordinary yoga is frowned upon, you should do some 'word yoga' to get your posts tighter and cut down on those verbosity calories. You'll never get a letter in the Irish Times otherwise.

Any internet search will tell you that if you consistently do some stretchingtons for a week, even if you haven't stretched for twenty years, you will have the stretchingtons of a small child.

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call Total Bullshit on that. I stretched like a mad yoke several times a week for several years and was still only barely able to touch my toes. It's different for different people. Someones stretchiness (or strength, or speed, or ability to get over a nasty cough, or whatever) depends on a lot of different things.

Go for a bit of yoga there Roisin, you might enjoy it. Even if you don't you'll learn what you *don't* wanna do at the very least.

Always though, with these sorts of things, you should take it with a pinch of salt. Maybe all the people in your yoga class will be sound, but a lot of them will quite likely be pricks. But does that matter really?

If I was a little less sleepy, I'd write a whole thesis on this sort of shit.

y1pCSbryvw6ox8gIpCxTJOyCTJS4uEntiS5oJdKNuFyozrfkCLIdczygp6a0xwz_UriTtfNLP-bfJg

ahem

My girlfriend goes to a class on Mondays near Brighton Square (between Harold's Cross and Terenure) and she quite enjoys it. I think there's an ad around the shops in Terenure for it if that's any help.

I know some people who practise or teach yoga and they are sound. It helped my mate get over his panic attacks because it promotes relaxation and deeper breathing.

Roisin... I know a yoga teacher who lives in Ranelagh. Not sure if she's giving classes at the moment. But if you're serious, I could give her a shout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back