Yo La Tengo - Vicar Street, 23rd March 2013 (1 Viewer)

But there's still crazy money being asked for tickets despite the fact we're all on the bread line. If living standards have gone back to the '90s or whatnot how come ticket prices (and fucking everything else while we're at it?) haven't followed suit?

A lot of peoples jobs rely on getting big acts to come here so they're still paying them through the nose to come here and still asking the punter to pay the same amount.

It's not really that size event that suffers, It's the mid sized gigs where the profit margins are quite thin. It wouldn't make huge financial sense for someone like for example Rocket From The Crypt to go to Dublin unless they A charged around €40 or played at a festival. or payed Belfast Cardiff and Liverpool as well. Which is unlikely since the combined populations of those cities is about the same as Birmingham on it's own and therefore a safer bet for a reasonably big venue and higher revenue

I think bands would mostly still be willing to come here, once theres a promoter that will give them what they want.

Foreverpresents leaving the country left a whole musical middle-ground that was too big for the small promoters and too small for aitken/MCD to take on. For the last year or so he was about I'd say I was at more shows he promoted than any other promoter.

Also, when Foggy Notions was still a magazine he used to put on loads of great shows. Actually he still does (through harmonic - thats him isn't it?), but again it seems they're aiming at bigger acts/shows.

I think bands would mostly still be willing to come here, once theres a promoter that will give them what they want.

Foreverpresents leaving the country left a whole musical middle-ground that was too big for the small promoters and too small for aitken/MCD to take on. For the last year or so he was about I'd say I was at more shows he promoted than any other promoter.

Also, when Foggy Notions was still a magazine he used to put on loads of great shows. Actually he still does (through harmonic - thats him isn't it?), but again it seems they're aiming at bigger acts/shows.

Again I'd imagine a lot of promoters are probably squeezed out of the "mid level" by the costs of venues. I can't imagine booking a show in Vicar Street or The Olympia is great business and the next size venue up is the O2. For Example when I saw Sonic Youth in london it was at Brixton Academy which holds 4,000 and the tickets where £12. Few years ago now but by contrast if they'd played in the Olympia which holds 1,600 the tickets definitely would have been €50.

Profit margins innit ?

I don't remember the 1990s being particularly bad. It was even ok during the second half of the 1980s [when I started going to concerts].

Mid 90s was when I started to go to gigs and read magazines etc, the amount of bands that played tours in the UK and never bothered coming here was pretty ridiculous. That said i did eventually see most of the bands I wanted to. It took years instead of a few months if you lived in London

YLT are playing Lattitude which makes me wonder if they were due to be announced for Longitude after the Vicar St show in which case I'd say it'd be hard to fit in a head liner in between then and now...just hypothesizing though...

They don't make it easy via the website. Won't even let you email, have to call during business hours.

Was just onto them. Bint from Cust Service says gig is not cancelled, just postponed, so date MAY be rescheduled. IF it is, original tickets are still valid. If you want a refund anyway you must POST the tickets back to Ticketmaster at the following address -
Ticketmaster,
Grafton House,
70 Grafton Street
Dublin 1.
Once they receive the tickets, they'll refund the card used in original purchase.
They don't make it easy alright.
What a load of swinging hairy balls.

Was just onto them. Bint from Cust Service says gig is not cancelled, just postponed, so date MAY be rescheduled. IF it is, original tickets are still valid. If you want a refund anyway you must POST the tickets back to Ticketmaster at the following address -
Ticketmaster,
Grafton House,
70 Grafton Street
Dublin 1.
Once they receive the tickets, they'll refund the card used in original purchase.

If you bought them from a TM outlet you should be able to return them to the point of purchase, if the gig is ultimately cancelled you won't need to post them back, they'll just refund the money to your card.

If you bought them from a TM outlet you should be able to return them to the point of purchase, if the gig is ultimately cancelled you won't need to post them back, they'll just refund the money to your card.
Unfortunately I bought them online, but that's handy to know, cheers.

Ticketmaster have this ridiculous automated set-up when you ring them. "If you are ringing about a refund, press 1", then you press 1 and it says (basically) "we don't give refunds. This call will automatically end. Goodbye." and it hangs up on you. Had to ring back to get speaking to someone. FFS!

Ticketmaster have this ridiculous automated set-up when you ring them. "If you are ringing about a refund, press 1", then you press 1 and it says (basically) "we don't give refunds. This call will automatically end. Goodbye." and it hangs up on you. Had to ring back to get speaking to someone. FFS!
That caught me out too; had to ring a second time - FFS!

Ticketmaster,
Grafton House,
70 Grafton Street
Dublin 1.

what about tickets you bought online which you put as "box office collection"?

what do you do about getting refunds in that scenario. you don't have a ticket to return to the address.

what about tickets you bought online which you put as "box office collection"?

what do you do about getting refunds in that scenario. you don't have a ticket to return to the address.

you'll get the refund on your card. You only return to the point of purchase if you paid cash.

in my experience this is what always happened.

I only recall one instance where I was completely left in the dark. That time Animal Collective got lost. They got here late and played a gig anyway and I thought I'd missed it. Then I found I didn't miss it and expected a refund. I never checked if I got it. About a year later they scheduled another gig so I bought a ticket for that. About 2 days before that gig I got an email saying the ticket for the original gig was still valid. It was all a bit shit.

New Jersey indie veterans YO LA TENGO have announced their rescheduled Dublin date for VICAR STREET in December 2013, following the release early next year of their 13th studio album.

Thursday 5th December 2013 will see the beloved Hoboken trio play their first Irish show since 2010’s appearance at the Forbidden Fruit Festival. They are currently finishing work on their new long-player “Fade”, the follow up to 2009’s album “Popular Songs”. Fade is due for release early in the new year.

Formed in 1984, Yo La Tengo have undertaken a huge number of creative projects, consisting of over 20 full length studio albums and side projects, including the 2009 film Adventureland soundtrack, a song on the Dark Was The Night compilation, and numerous “request-any-song” sets for WMFU's marathon fundraisers.

** All Original tickets valid || New Tickets go on sale @ 9am Friday 19th April **

POD presents
YO LA TENGO
Thursday 5th December 2013
Vicar Street – Thomas Street – Dublin 8.
Doors – 7:30pm

Tickets €22.50 standing/€25.50 seated (inc. booking fee) available from Ticketmaster and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

Yo La Tengo – “Fade”

New album released early 2013

Fade is the most direct, personal and cohesive album of Yo La Tengo's career. Recorded with John McEntire at Soma Studios in Chicago, it recalls the sonic innovation and lush cohesion of career high points like 1997‘s I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and 2000’s …And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out. Fade is a tapestry of fine melody and elegant noise, rhythmic shadow play and shy-eyed orchestral beauty, songfulness and experimentation.

But Fade attains a lyrical universality and hard-won sense of grandeur that’s rare even for this band. It weaves themes of aging, personal tragedy and emotional bonds into a fully-realized whole that recalls career-defining statements like Blood on the Tracks, I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight or Al Green's Call Me.

"Nothing ever stays the same / Nothing’s explained", the band sing in unison on the reflective opening track ‘Ohm’. "We try not to lose our hearts / Not to lose our minds", it’s a straightforward sentiment for a band that prefers private intimation to forceful expression, making the song’s resistance to resignation feel that much more earned.

This is the first time Yo La Tengo has collaborated with producer John McEntire, best known for his work in post-rock band Tortoise as well as his work with such artists as Bright Eyes, Stereolab and Teenage Fanclub. He has helped the band hone a set of songs as multifaceted as they are seamless - flowing from the low-key shimmy of ‘Well You Better’, to the muted motorik kick of ‘Stupid Things’, to the cozy distortion of ‘Paddle Forward’ and right through to the cagey groove, horns and strings of the gorgeous album closer, ‘Before We Run’, in which Georgia Hubley and Ira Kaplan sing "Take me to your distant lonely place / Take me out beyond mistrust."

Fade's emotional core sits at its very centre with two songs, one sung by Kaplan and one by Hubley. The tender, raw, Kaplan-sung ballad ‘I'll Be Around’ pivots around a circular guitar figure set against James McNew's calm, pulsating bass line. The song's simplicity and starkness stand like a beacon against the emptiness. The following track, ‘Cornelia and Jane’, features Hubley gently singing, "I hear them whispering, they analyse, but nobody knows what's lost in your eyes / Sending the message that doesn't get to you, how can we care for you?" supported by whispering cushions of horns and delicate vocal harmonies. The effect is both heartbreaking and reassuring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back