Writer's Block (2 Viewers)

ha, ive tried the bruce route many a time... ive learned that trying to do his "head over heels" flip from Evil Dead 2 causes certain problems...

muertos vivientes! said:
stop masturbating

t-t-t-toally wired!

haha never! that helps build our fast galloping chops!

but seriously like, 2 songs in a year! we are close to insanity.
thought about doing what Aldous Huxley did, and just take loads of mescalin sit with a typewriter(guitar) and see what happens.

who'll be my dealer??
and slowey, we'll be in touch!

i tried the whole not playin guitar for a few days, and not listening to music but, apart from driving me nuts, it still didnt do a whole lot.

its all about standards, you cant let them drop.

fuckin' Chuck Norris.

we already use about 5 tunings, have different guitars, and have tried listening to Corner Shop for god sakes... everyone needs a boo-sum..

listening to a lot more classical stuff though which hopefully will start helping.

brianMy Remorse said:
we already use about 5 tunings, have different guitars, and have tried listening to Corner Shop for god sakes... everyone needs a boo-sum..

listening to a lot more classical stuff though which hopefully will start helping.

Bluegrass!

avernus said:
hahaha

motherfucks to blame for everything!!

yeah! someone gets it!

ruined my life i tell ya.
ill end up never writing a song in my life again, sitting on my couch, a couple of hundred pounds over weight, with a bucket of chicken pieces, and big man breasts wiggling while i sing "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.."

its a prophecy, mark my words.

the thing to do is to forget about 'having' to write songs and just sit down with your guitar (or whatever instrument) and play what ever comes into your head

sometimes I start by playing the same chord for twenty minutes while staring into space blurring my vision..... as flakey as that sounds (and it is flakey, i accept that),

don't get down-hearted, time spent playing is always good and shall inform (in a not so obvious way) what you write later....

Try goin on the road with a jug band for 6 months or so. Always does the trick for me.

jkatjb.gif

leave my remorse and start a band with different people
different musical environment = new things happen.

oh wait, i forgot, you're in cork, there are no other people. aaaaahahahahahaha.

seriously, though, you all seem to hate each other anyway. run for the hills!

Super Dexta said:
leave my remorse and start a band with different people
different musical environment = new things happen.

oh wait, i forgot, you're in cork, there are no other people. aaaaahahahahahaha.

seriously, though, you all seem to hate each other anyway. run for the hills!

scarily quite true.

im waiting for you to come back so we can do our Earth Crisis side project band we've been talking bout.

woops.. that was supposed to be on the "qt" wasnt it?

You can't trick yourself out of writers block, its not going to happen.

I should know, its my default setting in fact. What you can do is remember that every song you write is not the last song of all time, the all-things-to-all-men classic you always thought you might write, because it's not. Its just another song. It doesn't have to be any way except the way you want it to be so you're in total control of it.

I always think "oh this song isn't finished cos its too simple...or these chords are shit because it basically a different version of the C,G,D7" However if you come back to something that you wrote from a listening perspective, rather than a writer's perspective you might like it. I always find it helps to just record little bits and then never try to make a song out of it straight away rather forget or at least not think of what I was thinking when I got the chords or riff or words. I get far too self conscious for that. Most everything I've written has been written over long periods of time so as to get fresh perspective on what the song could be.

Or you try writing a shit song and the fucking with it til its good. Or ripping of someone wlse good and changing it til its yours.

And for lyrics, writing down things when you think of them rather than sitting down thinking "I'm gonna do some writing now!" helps a bit. Also, its literally technically impossible to think: "I'm gonna be imaginative, starting ....now!"

Having said all of that, I haven't written much for ages cos I suffer from not being able to actually believe in all the (sensible) things I've said above.

By the way when do you consider a song written? Or finished? And how do you write (riffs first, song structure..blah blah blah)

And also isn't Neil Young a prick for saying that he doesn't really write his songs, they just come to him. Fucker.

brianMy Remorse said:
scarily quite true.

im waiting for you to come back so we can do our Earth Crisis side project band we've been talking bout.

woops.. that was supposed to be on the "qt" wasnt it?
hm. was i drunk when we discussed this? i'll be back in about 15 years. when kirstie is 46.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back