Worst NYE ever... (2 Viewers)

I think my worst one was when I was in Futaleufu, which is pretty seriously in the middle of nowhere.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=futal...226&spn=0.84429,2.150574&z=10&iwloc=addr&om=1
I dont know why, I normally give out shite, and get all pissed off about being forced to hang around a load of gobshites for NYE, but being completely alone, bar one or two former Israeli special service army lads, was really sad for me.

I loved being alone all the rest of the time, I like being alone a lot, but for some reason sitting in a bivvy tent, nursing two bottles of shit beer, listening to protracted conversations in Hebrew about preferred sniper rifles, the night and isolation of the south of Chile freaked me out.

ok, i'm caving and asking: how did you end up there?

(a lot of my favourite stories seem to feature 'israeli special service' at some point, although mercifully, none of my new years eves have yet.)

what seemed like my worst for a while is now so long ago it's become funny, but it was a sort of break-up, in his apartment near christchurch, and we were both angry as hell and bickering back and forth and then the bells started, deafeningly, and we both kind of lost our rage while sitting them out and ended up on the balcony and motherfucking smiling.

i'm inclined to say that i never have much fun when i go out properly on new years and much prefer a small group of friends and food and NOT TV TELLING ME WHEN TO CHEER, but this thread suggests i haven't yet reached the nadir.

ok, i'm caving and asking: how did you end up there?

(a lot of my favourite stories seem to feature 'israeli special service' at some point, although mercifully, none of my new years eves have yet.)

Caving?
Oh. I was getting excited, thinking you were going caving. In Clare and Fermanagh and things. Which is good fun, until lads out of Kevin Street start killing themselves.

Why Futaleufu? Em, so I know its a famous river, a huge grade 5, and I thought there would be loads of paddlers out there. I dunno. I had this image of something like a Chilean version of Bariloche, where I had been earlier, fancyness, pretty people wandering about, high in the Andes, a huge tanking river running through it.
(edit, I was in the area like, it wasnt as if I flew out there from Ireland specifcally...)
It wasn't like that though. It was a field. With a huge tanking river running through it.
And the ever present Israeli special forces, discussing the most disturbing shit you would've ever heard.
I think that night, one of the lads revealed he had driven a Humvee off a small cliff, and landed on top of a locals house he hadnt noticed.

Or it might have been the time one of the lads regaled me with tails of assassinating lads 1km away, with his trusty sniper rifle, at night in the desert, using sub sonic munitions and a silenced barrel.
How we laughed when he described how the lad in front of the guy he had just shot carried on his conversation for about 5 minutes, before he realised he was gone.

Caving?
Oh. I was getting excited, thinking you were going caving. In Clare and Fermanagh and things. Which is good fun, until lads out of Kevin Street start killing themselves.

on the one night where the emergency services are stretched to bits and most of the country is drunk and insane? that sounds almost suicidal enough to work! (no, bit of a claustrophobe, but i've always been curious to try it.)

Why Futaleufu? Em, so I know its a famous river, a huge grade 5, and I thought there would be loads of paddlers out there. I dunno. I had this image of something like a Chilean version of Bariloche, where I had been earlier, fancyness, pretty people wandering about, high in the Andes, a huge tanking river running through it.
(edit, I was in the area like, it wasnt as if I flew out there from Ireland specifcally...)
It wasn't like that though. It was a field. With a huge tanking river running through it.
And the ever present Israeli special forces, discussing the most disturbing shit you would've ever heard.
I think that night, one of the lads revealed he had driven a Humvee off a small cliff, and landed on top of a locals house he hadnt noticed.

Or it might have been the time one of the lads regaled me with tails of assassinating lads 1km away, with his trusty sniper rifle, at night in the desert, using sub sonic munitions and a silenced barrel.
How we laughed when he described how the lad in front of the guy he had just shot carried on his conversation for about 5 minutes, before he realised he was gone.

what jolly japes! that's a pretty good story, i'm satisfied. come to think of it, if i can get a storytelling new years eve together, i'll ship on out into the best-ever thread.

on the one night where the emergency services are stretched to bits and most of the country is drunk and insane? that sounds almost suicidal enough to work! (no, bit of a claustrophobe, but i've always been curious to try it.)

Was that incident on New Years?
I just remember the incident, and the cave, and where it happened in the cave.
I had done a practice rescue in that cave a year or two before. I remember thinking "I dont want to get hurt in this cave" at the time.
I think some of the lads who were on the same rescue practice were the ones that actually died.

I am not sure how I managed not to be on that shout out. I think I should have been. It might have been as simple as I didnt have a mobile phone. I think they would have been dead fairly fast though.

You and your mates drowning in a cave is probably the winning worst NYE ever.

Was that incident on New Years?
I just remember the incident, and the cave, and where it happened in the cave.
I had done a practice rescue in that cave a year or two before. I remember thinking "I dont want to get hurt in this cave" at the time.
I think some of the lads who were on the same rescue practice were the ones that actually died.

I am not sure how I managed not to be on that shout out. I think I should have been. It might have been as simple as I didnt have a mobile phone. I think they would have been dead fairly fast though.

Drowning in a cave is probably the winning worst NYE ever.

jesus, no, i was just playing around with visions of horror. where did it happen?

definitely wins. the prizes suck though.

jesus, no, i was just playing around with visions of horror. where did it happen?

definitely wins. the prizes suck though.

Ahh, Poll na Gollum, or however you spell the bastard.
Near the start of it, The Canals were the last place they were seen alive. I think there was only two lads killed though. One went in after another.

Silly.

The Canals are hard to move through even when there's no flood on.

I think my worst one was when I was in Futaleufu, which is pretty seriously in the middle of nowhere.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=futal...226&spn=0.84429,2.150574&z=10&iwloc=addr&om=1
I dont know why, I normally give out shite, and get all pissed off about being forced to hang around a load of gobshites for NYE, but being completely alone, bar one or two former Israeli special service army lads, was really sad for me.

I loved being alone all the rest of the time, I like being alone a lot, but for some reason sitting in a bivvy tent, nursing two bottles of shit beer, listening to protracted conversations in Hebrew about preferred sniper rifles, the night and isolation of the south of Chile freaked me out.

Stop trying to pass off James Bond's memories as your own.

mine have pretty much always been lame. not impressive lame, just lame lame. for the last few i took to staying in and drinking jameson and falling asleep on the sofa with the cat at about 10 while my parents were out painting the town red. this year though i;m going to glasgow. hogmanay ahoy. hopefully fun.

In fairness dude, it sounds to me like he was talking through his arse.

New Year's is always a letdown. I've had a few bad ones:

2001 - Working in Vicar St having to watch the Frames +Friends!! (ie Mundy, Relish etc :mad:) with the crowd absolutely lapping it up. I had to remove a guy from our broom closet, who somehow managed to get in thinking it was a toilet, and clean up his mess.

2002 - Girl i was kissing gave me tonsilitus. She thought it was romantic that i'd kiss her even though she was sick. I was just hammered and didn't realise the extent of her illness. Spent the next week suffering for my randiness.

Last year myself and my girlfriend of 4 years broke up loudly at about 6am after a particularly heated game of drunken Pictionary. :eek: We got over ourselves a bit later thankfully :)

Still, the worst ones though are always when you decide it's not worth and stay in (2000) and watch loads of people having a great time on the telly and then have to put up with your parents etc coming in locked a 2am.

2001 - Goiania, Brazil: just broken up with girlfriend whose house i was still living in as I had nowhere else to stay - got really drunk at a party there, went walkies on my own in a slightly dodgy neighbourhood, past-out behind a wall and then everyone from the party was out walking the streets looking for me, really worried that something had happened - I woke up about 4am and stumbled back to the house, much to the relief of everyone there, even if they were really pissed of with me for scaring them like that.

2002 - friends house in Cork: everyone took mushrooms and I spent part of the night freaking one of my friends out whilst he was tripping off his face - cruel stuff - some furniture got smashed - the next day I went to the supermarket, bought breakfast in pounds and received my change in EUROS?!?!?!?!

2003 - came down with a vicious stomach bug, couldn't drink all night, went to a party in Rathfarnam and felt like shit, belching and farting all night.

2004 - Brazil again, on Praia Grande in Sao Paulo where the annual custom involves throwing rubbish all over the beach at midnight and leaving it there, espcially candles wrapped in tin foil. The next day my mother-in-law got really sick on the way home, followed by everyone else including my then pregnant girlfriend, who ended up in hospital later that night, but went back home shortly afterwards. Spent the rest of that night wondering if I had caught the same thing, reapeatedly waking up expecting to get sick and nothing happening. (I often wonder to what extent stomach bug symptoms are psychosomatic to some people whenever there's an outbreak of the winter vomitting virus or whatever.)

2005 - Rather forget about it

2006 - Deadly buzz in a friends house in Wicklow, bit of eating, bit of boozing, bit of dancing - all very civilised - went asleep on the living-room floor only to have my feet puked all over later on that night. Apparently, as my friend wiped the puke off my feet with a damp cloth I sat up and said "Ooh, sexy!" and went back to sleep again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back