worrying (1 Viewer)

I don't mind what religion anyone chooses to believe in.
Whichever invisible man in the sky you decide gives your life meaning is irrelevant to me.
We are all free to make this personal choice. I think the freedom to make this choice is very important, has been hard earned & should be hard fought to retain.

Your right to believe in whatever you want does not, however, entitle you to enforce those beliefs on me (any more than I can enforce atheism on a Jew, Christian, Muslim, etc.)
You can't tell me what I can or cannot read, what movies I can or cannot watch, what skin colour is best or who I should marry.

I'm not sure not when we came up the idea that being "offended" was unacceptable.
Why does anyone have the right to go through their life without ever being "offended"?
Funnily enough, the Bible & the Qur'an contain some of the most offensive words ever written but that ok cos God said it.
Why do we accept the offensive ideas of racism, sexism, genocide & homophobia from the same people who refuse to let us publish a cartoon under threat of death?
I don't care if a Muslim is offended by the cartoon any more than I care if the pope is offended by inquiries into it's abuse of children.

Believe in whatever you want but keep it to yourself & I'll do the same.

I'm genuinely saddened by a lot of the previous comments in this thread.
I can't believe that anyone who grew up in Ireland, having seen first hand what people who think god is on their side will do given any amount of power, could willingly give up their right to a free press to another religious group so quickly.
Does anyone here really think that the reason the cartoons weren't reprinted was out of respect for Islam or can we all agree that it was out of fear of the extremist reaction?

Whether you think the cartoons should or should not have been published is irrelevant.
The question you need to ask is whether or not the papers should have been allowed to publish them.

If you think not, then I can only assume you grant everyone who claims belief in god the same right.
Imagine, just for a moment, a world in which everything that any religion found offensive was not allowed.

Fancy that?
Thought not.

England. I only got the game a few days ago, so I can only control 5 until I complete a campaign.

If you have the expansion pack, you can download a mod that lets you take control of Ireland in a full campaign. Gunna do that, AND CHANGE HISTORY FOREVER.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back