World Cup 2018/2022 hosts (1 Viewer)

The technical stength and actual feasibility of the bids seemingly barely come into it at all, England came top of both the technical and economic reports, had the best presentation then got 2 votes out of 22 because they hadn't made enough friends (or had made too many enemies) on the panel. USA came top of the technical assessment but got well beaten by Qatar which was the only bid marked as 'high risk' in FIFA's own report.. It's all internal politics, favours and back scratching, depressing stuff really. I look forward to hundreds of thousands of foreign infidels wandering around Doha in 45 degree heat searching in vain for the non-existant pubs!

I was taking the piss. I actually couldn't care less about England's bid. Beckham, Cameron, Sky News et al kept yammering out that nonsensical "best technical bid" mantra for hours afterwards, which was laughable. You know what lads? *Technically* you didn't win. The whole thing is obviously a load of bullshit.

Russia were always going to get the 2018 World Cup - simply because they've never hosted it before and they're a very large country.

Qatar have been pumping money in to football for quite some time now, so I imagine they'll have an infrastructure together in 12 years time.

Still, FIFA is a joke. The whole voting process is disgusting. According to Wikileaks Jack Warner will receive a nubile youth every week until 2022.

I'm not too bothered.

I mean, it's obviously all to do with money. But fuck it, it'll be something different. My only problem would be, they aren't much of a footballing nation? It would surely be down to the visitors to provide some fun.

And nothing can be worse than the snorefest that was 2010.

The worry is that 2010 was "something different" in fact it turned out to be so alien that it was a fucking disaster. Nothing since the disaster fills me with hope that the Qatar world cup won't be like watching dehydrated lads kick a beach ball around in an slave built oven shaped like the a klingon war ship watched by no one but the richest 5 people in the competing nations. Basically FIFA seem to be trying to kill football

I don't know why some nations don't leave FIFA and start a new organisation.

i wouldn't like to see that happen,either sides version of a 'world cup' would be meaningless.fifa just needs to be run by people who have the games interest at heart and not their own interests.is that gonna happen?probably not.

So it's gonna be held in November/December 2022

Jaysis

Cue the law suits from the losing bidding nations as they spent millions bidding to the terms of a tender document that looks like it's just been thrown out the window.

That being said, Phillipe Auclair, who has done a lot of work on the Quatar 2022 story said that just because Jerome Valcke said it doesn't make it so, and that only the Executive Comittee can make the call. And the Exco usually goes the way the president wants it too.

To that end, I'm starting to think that the game would be better off if Blatter wins another term as president rather than Platini, who seems desperately compromised on Quatar and full of awful ideas in general, in the next elections.

What a fucking joke. It'll never work. Artificial clouds is more feasible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back