Work (1 Viewer)

From reading through this thread, you all seem to be getting qualified, or qualified and working already!?
I`m a third level drop-out - and i work in a factory *cough*.But being honest about my job - i don`t do very much.I just make sure i give the impression do.

Its not what you do, its what people THINK you do.(FACT).

i dropped out too. well they kicked me out cos *the man* said I needed to pass exams, pah!

Exams suck eggs!Some of the worlds greatest people were drop-outs!!!
I figure its only a matter of doing one of those TEFL courses,then travel the world teaching english!!
No call for all this business of wasting years in Uni`s and such!!

those years were never wasted! I put a lot of work into building up my booze tolerance for example.

Anyway best of luck to all the exam peoples on the board, its fukin torture! :)

Rimbaud (23 Apr, 2002 12:12 p.m.):

Tee hee, so true. My job title is "Listings Writer", working for a company who provide TV and radio listings for magazines, papers, pop-up menus on digital TV, etc. But in reality there's very little writing of listings, it's mostly bleedin' data entry. And when you do get to write something, chances are you haven't seen/ heard the programme/ film in question, so you have to make something up from the press release. So I'm just a glorified DE clerk, but hey, my job title says I'm a "writer".

I study Computer Applications in DCU, but when I finished I hope to get a job as a web designer and ponce around town being indie like the rest of you.

Singer are you CA aswell?

No, I dropped out of CA though. I got lucky with the auld booming economy etc. I got a bit of unix experience in DCU (then dropped out after I got a cool summer job that was more fun than being in college. I failed about 6 subjects in second year and didn't bother repeating any exams. I had passed all the continous assessment, but I wasn't actually enjoying the course, so I screwed up my exams.

Lollo Rosso (23 Apr, 2002 02:04 p.m.):
Rimbaud (23 Apr, 2002 12:12 p.m.):

Tee hee, so true. My job title is "Listings Writer", working for a company who provide TV and radio listings for magazines, papers, pop-up menus on digital TV, etc. But in reality there's very little writing of listings, it's mostly bleedin' data entry. And when you do get to write something, chances are you haven't seen/ heard the programme/ film in question, so you have to make something up from the press release. So I'm just a glorified DE clerk, but hey, my job title says I'm a "writer".

Please,please,please!!Don't put yourself down by using that term.You are a button depression technician.

Yes, that is a much better description - even the buttons are depressed in this kip.

Actually, it's not that bad despite being in a big impersonal open-plan office in the 'burbs - some of the people are extremely sound, and the stress levels are usually minimal compared to my last job. And there are ten charity shops in the area for me to visit on my lunch break.

I once washed dishes in a Hotel and thought it was cushty... untill I read a short story by Will Self about this pathetic loser who breastfed untill he was fifteen, that could only get a job washing dishes in a hotel... I quit the poxy job the next day.

is that the one where he gets stuck in the oven?
you sure that was will self? eh?
cos it aint if it is.

I worked as an injection moulding machine operator during my summers in college and then for six months when I was finished. Worst torture you could endure. Rotating shifts, pulling parts out of a machine where the mould was at 200deg C, burning your arms on said moulds, inhaling toxic rubber fumes, pulling the flash of rubber that was only beginning to solidify and the machine spat parts out constantly so if you stopped for literally 10 seconds you'd fall behind. And assholes for supervisors.

that's pretty bad Dan! I worked in a CD packing factory doing 12 hour shifts of the most depressing drudgery ever - CD goes off spindle, CD goes in sleeve, spindle sleeve, spindle sleeve, ad nauseum suicidium. What was great was when the reg key (it was all MSDN stuff)labelling machine broke down and I had stick em on manually for 3000 cd's. I cried.

hopper (18 Apr, 2002 05:04 p.m.):
Stuart Little (18 Apr, 2002 05:00 p.m.):
Not as bad as the cringe-fest that the Public Enemy gig in the red box turned out to be.

Flava Flav's anti-brit ranting being totally ill-informed and making him come accross as a complete ass-wipe. Then he pulled out a tenner and started calling it "fucking british money" and held a lighter to it.
It was a fucking IRISH tenner.

Chuck D shoulda kicked that homey's ASS.

I remember that, they kept tryin to say tiocfaidh ár lá but it came out like chucky our lay. big mess. chuck d was going on and on about the queen being filthy rich, like he's such a poor bastard himself.

I actually thought that was hilarious. I could see straight away (like anyone I suppose) that they hadn't a notion what they were talking about and just laughed it up by roaring and shouting in agreement. The whole things a show anyway. And Flava Flavs a self confessed idiot anyway.

Hector Grey (23 Apr, 2002 03:00 p.m.):
cos it aint if it is.

Yeah, he does get stuck in the oven...
Its in a book of his short stories called In between the sheets, or maybe that First Love one...
Why, who do you recon it is?

I worked as a night security guard in an old folk's home run by nuns in Dalkey....

Riveting stuff....I was alone for 9 hours every night....

i did that for a while in berlin, 12 hour shifts, standing in the one spot, directing taxis in the rain and getting shouted at by businessmen. then one day there was a really bad rain storm with hailstones intermittently for 3 hours and i collapsed cos i was so cold and wet. i didn't go back much. that was undoubtedly my worst job, apart from a stint as a cleaner in new york.

Ian (24 Apr, 2002 02:05 p.m.):
Hector Grey (23 Apr, 2002 03:00 p.m.):
cos it aint if it is.

Yeah, he does get stuck in the oven...
Its in a book of his short stories called In between the sheets, or maybe that First Love one...
Why, who do you recon it is?

it's that scottish namby, McEwan.
all he writes about these days is Zinfandel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back