Women and punk (1 Viewer)

ah sher, theres plenty of ladies at gigs!cant say i notice the men/women ratio but i've certainly never noticed an abscense* of women at gigs(not in years anyway).i think comparing it to other european cities is silly. it is the way it is!not a whole lot to be done, either people are interested in coming to gigs or they aint.

*i cant fucking spell

ah sher, theres plenty of ladies at gigs!cant say i notice the men/women ratio but i've certainly never noticed an abscense* of women at gigs(not in years anyway).i think comparing it to other european cities is silly. it is the way it is!not a whole lot to be done, either people are interested in coming to gigs or they aint.

*i cant fucking spell

'sake, we're tryin to get people to take their hot sisters to gigs, will you shut up with that nonsense

Bumming around Eastern Europe and going to gigs i noticed straight off the amount of (fine) ladies heading to gigs and going crazy....they fine here too of course...

If i go to the Czech Republic and it ain't true, i'll be very VERY disappointed...and a bit angry too.

well if your from up north ill give you a thumbs up and totally agree, but in places were there actually is a scene there are always a good few. like belfast

mark

well if your from up north ill give you a thumbs up and totally agree, but in places were there actually is a scene there are always a good few. like belfast

mark

Sure ye are all sorted Mark. I am the one that needs to complain !ninjaaaa

In fairness there's fuck all women in the punk scene, there's nothing like a gender balance. You could probably count on one hand the amount of women in punk bands. It is a lot better than 5 years ago but that's not saying much!

Is there a music genre that exists in Dublin where there *is* a gender balance or even more women than men both in the bands and the crowd?

edit: I remember when I was a kid going to see such killer bands as Korn, Ash, Therapy? etc. in the SFX, RDS and the Point, there would still be fuck all girls.
Believe me, I looked.
There used to be loads of ladies up in that Goth club on O'Connell Street back in the mid 90s... 13th Floor or something.
Is there a gender balance in emo? Maybe the crowd, but not the bands as far as I know. Those lads look like girls anyway making it impossible to obtain a correct measurement.
All the alternative girls used to hang out on Central Bank too. If only I noted the accurate gender ratio...

the majority of the belfast girls seem to be scenesters whom do nothing active (in fairness most belfast people do nothing any way)

I've never, ever, ever been to a gig where it comes even close to being half women half men (insert joke about boobs and a mickey here). It's not exclusive to the punk scene by any stretch, and punk/diy/ whatever gigs I've been to recently are infinitely more woman-friendly than they were 10 or 15 years ago.

In my experience, people overlook you as a woman in music. Sometimes it's sexist shit, sometimes it's people just not being used to dealing with a woman or having women around in a capacity other than as consumers. I've had people completely ignore me (women and men) and go straight to one of the dudes when I've put shows on or been DJing with my bro.

Gigs/music aren't massively sexist or anything, but most scenes and situations aren't as friendly, open or welcoming to women as they are to men. I don't blame anyone*, it evolved that way, but I think it's changing now... which is great.

*Begrudgers of events that promote the involvement of women in music can fuck right off though.

Part of the problem is that since the mid 80's women in bands are expected to be truly truly truly outrageous

o_jem.jpg

Do women just not like music as much as men or what? Too busy with the kids & dinner & make-up & all? Seriously like? Do most girls just not like rockin' so much? Seems like it.

I've been working on a mathematical formula to try and explain the lack of ladies at musical events.
This is what I've got so far:

Men( Who rock out ) > Women( Who rock out )
CORRELATING FACTOR = Rocking Out
LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR( Rocking Out ) = Musical Notes
THEREFORE
Musical notes = Institutionalised sexism( in-the-form-of variations in air pressure )
THEREFORE
( Music = Sexism ) & ( Music Venues = Enemies of women )

I've been working on a mathematical formula to try and explain the lack of ladies at musical events.
This is what I've got so far:

Men( Who rock out ) > Women( Who rock out )
CORRELATING FACTOR = Rocking Out
LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR( Rocking Out ) = Musical Notes
THEREFORE
Musical notes = Institutionalised sexism( in-the-form-of variations in air pressure )
THEREFORE
( Music = Sexism ) & ( Music Venues = Enemies of women )

Ahahah sounds like the perfect formula!

But on a more serious note, Corm is right. Seems that girls are not that into music altogether. I mean, they may listen to music and have maybe a favuorite artist/genre but they generally limit themselves to listening, no gigs, buying CDs and all the argy bargy (naturally not ALL girls are like that).
Where as lads tend to be much more into music and whatnot.

Sociologists should do their job and explain to us the reason!

Do women just not like music as much as men or what? Too busy with the kids & dinner & make-up & all? Seriously like? Do most girls just not like rockin' so much? Seems like it.

I reckon that’s it. I reckon most girls don’t like writing or directing films either. Acting in roles other than bimbo/girlfriend/murder victim/prostitute is totally for boys. Deffo most girls don’t like being in successful rock bands or being respected artists. Girls HATE being included in decision making processes too. Government? Hate it. Being paid the same as lads? HATE IT!!

But on a more serious note, Corm is right. Seems that girls are not that into music altogether. I mean, they may listen to music and have maybe a favuorite artist/genre but they generally limit themselves to listening, no gigs, buying CDs and all the argy bargy (naturally not ALL girls are like that).
Where as lads tend to be much more into music and whatnot.

Sociologists should do their job and explain to us the reason!

Oh there's a very simple scientific explanation for that :

Girls tape all their favourite pop songs off the radio (to impress boys... they're not really into music), whereas boys, because they are naturally more inclined to have jobs and be aggressive, are more likely to purchase music and do all those other things that boys do and girls don't. Alpha males will buy aggressive noise records and get broken noses in pits, whereas beta males buy Nirvana CDs and get a crick in their neck and the totally lame duck ones of the pack buy Bonny Prince Billy tapes and get sore eyes from staring at their shoes. Simple.

Seriously, do you have any female friends, and if they read that post, would they give you a wedgie?
I get what yizzer saying. Women may be less visible or less vocal but to state that it's because we like music less is a little over-simplistic non?

Seriously, do you have any female friends, and if they read that post, would they give you a wedgie?
I get what yizzer saying. Women may be less visible or less vocal but to state that it's because we like music less is a little over-simplistic non?

Nah, they would flat out beat the shit out of me...i think.

Aye, i did explain it a bit weirdly. Didn't mean that they like music less, it's just they are not really into the whole process behind music making, CD/record buying, gigs and all. I have a very limited music collection between CDs and records, but i still have more than most of my girl mates. They don't seem to be that much into going to gigs and don't buy many CDs (if they buy any at all). As people said there is more lads in bands, most distros and labels are owned and run by lads and you don't get many girls putting up gigs. Don't get me wrong, i know girls like music a good bit (sometimes even more than some lads).

But as someone said, it is all changing (and not only in punk).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back