Woman dies after abortion request 'refused' at Galway hospital (1 Viewer)

On the front page it says several hundred.

At the start of http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1114/breaking48.html it says Several hundred people attended a protest outside Dail Eireann this evening. Further down it says Organisers estimated over 2000 people attended the protest, while gardai put the figure at 700.

Theres a vid at http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1114/breaking48.html

yeah read that wrong, there was definitely at least 2000 there from what i seen.

Anybody know what the story with NCAD was? Remember the lady at the end said "We're going to continue on for a bit longer because we heard NCAD are coming", or something like that

yeah read that wrong, there was definitely at least 2000 there from what i seen.

Anybody know what the story with NCAD was? Remember the lady at the end said "We're going to continue on for a bit longer because we heard NCAD are coming", or something like that

Some NCAD students arrived at the end.

Some NCAD students arrived at the end.

From the medical POV (from chatting to a few docs I work with) it kinda comes down to this -
-in normal non critical(and by non critical I mean not showing up in a+e on the verge of dyding) medicine the doc is allowed make a judgement call on the need of a treatment, which then is consented to by either the sick person or their next of kin. (the flip side of this is when jehovahs witnesses etc refuse blood transfusions for their kids)
-insituations of absolute emergency(ie show up at hospital having been shot in the head) the doc has the right to make descisions
-as regards abortion no consent can be requested or given as the law stands, and the doctor has to make a judgement call as to how definite the danger to the mothers life is. this can be subsequently challanged in court, and may lead to criminal proceedings.
unfortunately due to backwoods FG backbenchers I cant see much change to this anytime soon. hope Im wrong.

When did people vote against allowing abortion in the case of the mother's threatening of suicide?

In the 2002 referendum the people voted against the government's attempt to amend the Constitution to tighten the constitutional ban on abortion. This would have reversed the X case ruling. Same thing happened in 1992. Unless I'm greatly mistaken we've never voted against allowing abortion in any case only against making it illegal to have an abortion if there is a risk of suicide. The X case ruling still stands (despite the two attempts to change it) but the government has refused to legislate for it.

Sorry, you're right.

Reply i got today

RE: Legislation on X must be priority for Government

Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

As you will be aware, the Government established an Expert Group (as promised in the Programme for Government) to study the judgement of the European Court of Human Rights in the ABC v. Ireland case. In that judgement, the European Court held that the Irish State had failed to legislate to implement existing rights to lawful abortion when a mother’s life is at risk pursuant to Article 40.3.3° of the Irish Constitution.

The Expert Group is chaired by Mr. Justice Sean Ryan and comprised of experts in the fields of law and medicine. It was asked to make recommendations on a series of options on how to implement the judgment taking into account the constitutional, legal, medical, and ethical considerations involved in the formulation of public policy in this area and the over-riding need for expeditious action in light of the judgement of the European Court of Human Rights.

On 13th November, the Expert Group delivered its Report to the Minister for Health. The Minister for Health, Dr. James Reilly TD, will now examine the Report and bring it to Government for discussion.

The Government is required to send a response to the Council of Europe on progress made in terms of complying with the judgement of the European Court of Human Rights before 30 November next.

I extend my deepest sympathy to Praveen Halappanavar on the death of his wife, Savita. This is a terribly tragic case of maternal death in which a child has been lost, a mother has died and a husband is bereaved and no words of mine can deal with the loss experienced by the family that has been bereaved.
I would like to assure you that the importance of this issue is fully recognised by Fine Gael.

Kind regards,

Ray Butler TD

that's a repeat of enda kenny's line ('a child has been lost...' one); you'd think they'd change that given the sensitivity of the situation.
she was a woman first and a mother (to be) second.

Reply I got today, I'd like to see the health of the mother included in the legislation as well as life of the mother.

A chara,

Thank you for your email. My thoughts are with the husband, family and friends of Savita Halappanavar at this very sad time.

Sinn Féin supports the introduction of legislation under the terms of the X Case in line with the ABC judgment in the European Court of Human Rights which would allow for the introduction of abortion of where there is a risk to the life of a pregnant woman. We made our support for this clear during the debate on the Medical Treatment (Termination of Pregnancy in Case of Risk to Life of Pregnant Woman) Bill 2012 tabled by Deputy Clare Daly which Sinn Féin members voted in favour of in order to put in place a legal framework to prevent any woman with a life-threatening condition in pregnancy from being denied an abortion to save her life.

During Leader’s Questions today, our party leader, Gerry Adams TD questioned the Taoiseach on the matter and called for the publication of the report of the Expert Group and for the introduction of legislation for the X Case. The transcript of this is copied below.

“Taoiseach it was my intention to raise the continuing scandal of bankers salaries, bonuses and pensions and your government’s refusal to deal with this insult to citizens who are carrying the burden of your austerity policies. Then I heard of the death of a pregnant woman, Savita Halappanavar, who died on October 28th in Galway University Hospital.

I understand that Savita’s death is being investigated and that we are quite rightly restrained on what we can say on this tragic issue but it is reported that she died of blood poisoning after, according to her husband, being refused a termination while miscarrying.

There is an imperative on this Dáil to express condolences and solidarity to Savita’s family.

Ba mhaith liom mo chomh bhrón a dheánamh le clann Savita thar cheann Sinn Féin.

There is also an onus on the government to bring forward the report of its expert group and promised legislation without delay to deal with the issues involved in cases like this. I know there are strongly and sincerely held opposing views, including within Sinn Féin, and across Irish society, on the issue of medical terminations.

But the people spoke in referendum and firmly placed the responsibility upon the Oireachtas to deal with the issue by means of legislation and the supreme court ruled in 1992 that ‘a termination of pregnancy is lawful if it can be shown that there is a real and substantial risk to the life, as distinct from the health of the mother.’

When will the government publish the report of its export group and when will you bring forward legislation as promised?

Taoiseach in his remarks to the Dáil on this issue in April the Minister for Health stated that no action had been taken by six successive governments and he didn’t want to be the seventh.

The Government has established an expert group that draws on appropriate medical and legal expertise with a view to making recommendations on how this matter should be addressed properly.

The Minister was confident that the group will produce proposals that are sensible, practical and implementable.

When will this report come to Government and when will it be published?

Sinn Fein believes that all possible means of education and support services should be put in place, so that the difficult choice to terminate a pregnancy can be avoided by as many women as possible.

However in the case of rape incest or sexual abuse, or where a woman’s life and mental health is at risk or in grave danger Sinn Fein accepts that the final decision rests with the woman.

It is time for legislation to be finally put in law to protect the rights of women as decided by the Supreme Court in 1992…”

Please rest assured we will continue to raise this issue.

Should you have any further questions, please get in touch.

Is mise,

Pádraig Mac Lochlainn, TD
Donegal North East

Sinn Féin Spokesperson on Justice, Equality and Defence

Dear Peter

Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

The Taoiseach confirmed in the Dáil yesterday (Wednesday, 14th November) that on the night of Tuesday the 13th of November, the Expert Group established to examine the judgement in ABC v. Ireland [2010] delivered its report to the Department of Health.

As you will be aware, this Expert Group was established pursuant to the Programme for Government to study the judgement of the European Court of Human Rights in the ABC v. Ireland case. In that judgement, the European Court held that the Irish State had failed to legislate to implement existing rights to lawful abortion when a mother’s life is at risk pursuant to Article 40.3.3° of the Irish Constitution.

The Expert Group is chaired by Mr. Justice Sean Ryan and comprised of experts in the fields of law and medicine. It was asked to make recommendations on a series of options on how to implement the judgment taking into account the constitutional, legal, medical, and ethical considerations involved in the formulation of public policy in this area and the over-riding need for expeditious action in light of the judgement of the European Court of Human Rights.

Now that the Report has been delivered to the Department of Health the Minister for Health, Dr. James Reilly, will examine the report and bring it to Government for discussion.

The Government is required to send a response to the Council of Europe on progress made in terms of complying with the judgement of the European Court of Human Rights before 30 November next.

Please be assured that the importance of this issue is fully recognised by Fine Gael.

Kind regards,

so there you go

I didn't send the NWCI form letter from their website, I composed my own. Got this reply,

Dear Ian,

Thanks for your email and for your support in the past.

What happened in Galway to Savita Halappanavar is truly shocking.

I am sure you are aware of the long standing position of the Labour Party on the issue of providing abortion services to those who need it.

We did not succeed in having all of that policy included in the Programme for Government but we did get the matter of dealing with the X case Court decision included. That will be honoured.

I hope this explains our position.

Again thank you for contacting me.

Yours sincerely,

Emmet Stagg T.D.

and another

Dear Peter
First of all thank you very much for your email. I fully support the need for the legislation on the X case and have done so for some time.

Last April legislation was presented to the Dail to bring in this law which I voted For. I believe this is twenty years overdue.

As recently as November 14th I raised the matter directly with Enda Kenny at the order of business in the Dail.

Here is a link to a statement I released yesterday following the tragic death of Savita which is a tragedy which should never have happened - http://www.patricknulty.ie/?p=1532

I also requested that the issue be debated in the Dail yesterday which forced the Minister for Health to come in and explain himself.

I believe that it is a disgrace that 20 years on this matter has not been addressed and is it is a fundamental issue of equality for women. I will do everything in my power to campaign for change on this crucial issue.

Yours Sincerely,

Patrick Nulty TD

A7xXfWNCMAAb_lE.jpg

https://twitter.com/horganjonesjane/status/269186273774809088/photo/1

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back