Woman dies after abortion request 'refused' at Galway hospital (3 Viewers)

It sounds like an infection was diagnosed, as they had her on antibiotics after a day or so.

Whether it was deemed secondary to their duties to the unborn child and how aggressively they monitored/fought the infection should come out in the inquiries.

We really only have the husband's version at this point (is this correct?) and while no one is accusing him of lying, he's certainly not an impartial observer.

I don't believe the husband is a liar. Women are refused pai killers and a lot of other medication if they are pregnant in case it might affect the fucking fetus. This is CVatholic Ireland and a fetus is more important than a mere woman. A lot of women were on liveline today telling how they were in similar circumstances, screaming in agony but were refused any painkillers until the fetus died.

I suppose they are liars as well.

Over 2,000 at Dail.

1224326600050.jpg

I thought abortions were permitted where the life of the mother was in danger, as the life of the mother in this case seems to have clearly been.

According to the last referendum and the SC and ECHR rulings yes they are permitted but the bullshit politicians have refused to legislate which is why you may notice a lot of talk of calls for legislation on the mater. However it was pointed out at the rally earlier that even this legislation might not have been enough to save Savita Halappanavar's life as it may not have been known that her life was at risk until it was too late. This is why we need to allow for at very least abortion to be allowed when the mother's health is at risk and not just her life or just lift the ban on abortion altogether and not risk this happening ever again.

The RTE (possibly radio) presenter standing behind us was heard telling someone in the studio that now would be a good time to go live as there were 2-3000 sitting down outside the Dail.

It drives home the fact that the politicians of this country have no interest in the will of the people who they are supposed to represent, not that there's anything new there.

It drives home the fact that the politicians of this country have no interest in the will of the people who they are supposed to represent, not that there's anything new there.

It's not necessarily the will of the people in this case. Enough people voted against allowing abortion in the case of the mother's threatening of suicide.
There are loads who will vote against abortion no matter what the circumstances. As a nation we have mostly ignored the issue, exported it to the UK or just plain wished it would go away.
In this case the boys in Leinster House almost have obeyed the will of the people.

Or anywhere, really.

Abortion legislation aside, women's heath is tough most places just because of pregnancy. Everyone is either bound by law or afraid of it by getting sued. Even in the states I was refused pain medication and had delayed (by many hours) tests until they were positive I was not pregnant. I whimpered, "I could pee on a stick faster" a few times not to mention I knew it to be impossible. I spent that night in ICU, would have I gotten that bad if they were looking after me instead of a possible baby? Probably not. I was actually trying a new doctor this morning (wasting more money) and basically beating my head against a wall. They would rather me feel sick all the time than be liable for something that might happen. Not acceptable. It's as if common sense and human decency has left the health profession.

It's not necessarily the will of the people in this case. Enough people voted against allowing abortion in the case of the mother's threatening of suicide.
There are loads who will vote against abortion no matter what the circumstances. As a nation we have mostly ignored the issue, exported it to the UK or just plain wished it would go away.
In this case the boys in Leinster House almost have obeyed the will of the people.

When did people vote against allowing abortion in the case of the mother's threatening of suicide?

In the 2002 referendum the people voted against the government's attempt to amend the Constitution to tighten the constitutional ban on abortion. This would have reversed the X case ruling. Same thing happened in 1992. Unless I'm greatly mistaken we've never voted against allowing abortion in any case only against making it illegal to have an abortion if there is a risk of suicide. The X case ruling still stands (despite the two attempts to change it) but the government has refused to legislate for it.

Or anywhere, really.

Abortion legislation aside, women's heath is tough most places just because of pregnancy. Everyone is either bound by law or afraid of it by getting sued. Even in the states I was refused pain medication and had delayed (by many hours) tests until they were positive I was not pregnant. I whimpered, "I could pee on a stick faster" a few times not to mention I knew it to be impossible. I spent that night in ICU, would have I gotten that bad if they were looking after me instead of a possible baby? Probably not. I was actually trying a new doctor this morning (wasting more money) and basically beating my head against a wall. They would rather me feel sick all the time than be liable for something that might happen. Not acceptable. It's as if common sense and human decency has left the health profession.

Yeah unfortunately this seems to be the case, probably beyond just the health profession too.

IT are still saying 2000, they say the Gardai are reporting 700

On the front page it says several hundred.

At the start of http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1114/breaking48.html it says Several hundred people attended a protest outside Dail Eireann this evening. Further down it says Organisers estimated over 2000 people attended the protest, while gardai put the figure at 700.

Theres a vid at http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1114/breaking48.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back