Wolf Parade... (1 Viewer)

Christ, just realised that after 2 years or whatever, and despite really liking the album, I still can't remember how anything off At Mount Zoomer goes.

Listening to it now I recognise all the songs but can't remember any of the words* or what part is coming next. and I think the last time I listened to it was only about a week ago.

This was my problem with the first album. Couldn't tell you one song or hum a tune, and I listened to it a fair bit.
Listening to the 2nd album was NEVER going to happen.

New album is not great. Feels like the songs that didn't make the last SR and HF albums were thrown together and then they slapped a Wolf Parade label on it. It's not horrible but it doesn't sound like much effort went into it or that they fleshed out the songs enough. The only song that sticks out for me is "Oh you, old thing" and even THAT had to grow on me. Normally I'd listen again and again and this time I'm more obsessed with other artist's albums. That said, still looking forward to this evening. I'll be up front.

Edit: Tomorrow. I'm getting ahead of myself.

This evening?

edit: Oh, you mean you're looking forward to 'this evening of music that will be happening tomorrow evening' ?

Well I'm bored as hell in work so here is my review of the album having not yet heard it

WolfParade_Expo86.jpg

1) The band have now been replaced by children. In an increasingly infantalized world, this can only be a good thing, possibly opening the band up to other currently unexploited markets such as twee.

2) Spencer is obviously the one on the right, as you can see he eschews weapons in favour of scowling at the camera. This leads to me to believe that perhaps he is unhappy with the direction the band has taken

3) Dan is clearly on the far left, his big gun represents his desire to be a proper rock'n'roller. A goal he will never achieve being that he is in an indie rock band. The gun, after all, is merely a piece of wood. This is a theme returned to several times on the album

4) The rest of the band are one person holding what looks like a grenade. One can only assume that they are threatening to explode the band unless Dan and Spencer let their songs be played, Wendy and Lisa style.

5) Expo 86 = 80's revival. That's never gone away.

6) Heaven is pouring light, SHINING a light if you will, on the ground behind the band. They have their back turned to it though because they have turned their back on their past and are looking to the future. As children. This is a deep sentiment and should be considered when listening to the album.

7) Their camoflage shows us that they are not yet exposing their true selves in the music. This album is merely an act, but one which may be pointing to a deep truth in us all.

8) 7/10.

I'm liking it so far, you guys are obviously pretty thick. Spencer's voice is a bit different as are the, er, melodic lines? Having said that Ghost Pressure just came on and sounds kind of parodic with some awful 2005 dance-rock drumming

Well, it has 80's keys alright. This one has a bit in the middle that could be the background to many 80's films. Like the moment when someone is finally getting up the nerve to do something. The keys make the song.

I know it's a different song but Little Golden Age sounds like the bit where the hero is running towards the prom to meet the date of his/her dreams.

well that or throwing themselves gloriously off a cliff

I think the melodies are different to the other albums. There's less Spencerrr Krug vocal moments on it. But there are songs in here alright, I think. I can say this having not listened to the whole album yet

wow, just heard the guitar solo in Pobody's Nerfect (terrible song title).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back