Wireless internet question/problem (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Ed
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 1K
  • Watchers 2

Ed

Right, got irish broadband in the house. Two computers - one upstairs, one downstairs. Upstairs computer is connected directly to the wireless aerial(as connected as it can be i guess). Downstairs computer is the one i actually use(the upstairs one is leaving the house soon) - connected to the upstairs via wireless card/router.
The problem is that there's an eircom signal cutting across the connection coming from the router upstairs. The computer upstairs is working fine, but the downstairs one can't connect to the internet using the wireless card because the only signal it can find is the eircom one (which is passworded). Normally my brother would fix this because he's the one who set it all up, but has just moved to paris and i don't want to hassle him while he's getting his flat/new job sorted out.
So any ideas on how to block out the eircom signal without smashing an aerial on one of my neighbours houses? Bearing in mind that i have absolutly no clue when it comes to computers.

Thanks.

Ed said:
Right, got irish broadband in the house. Two computers - one upstairs, one downstairs. Upstairs computer is connected directly to the wireless aerial(as connected as it can be i guess). Downstairs computer is the one i actually use(the upstairs one is leaving the house soon) - connected to the upstairs via wireless card/router.
The problem is that there's an eircom signal cutting across the connection coming from the router upstairs. The computer upstairs is working fine, but the downstairs one can't connect to the internet using the wireless card because the only signal it can find is the eircom one (which is passworded). Normally my brother would fix this because he's the one who set it all up, but has just moved to paris and i don't want to hassle him while he's getting his flat/new job sorted out.
So any ideas on how to block out the eircom signal without smashing an aerial on one of my neighbours houses? Bearing in mind that i have absolutly no clue when it comes to computers.

Thanks.

Network cable will do the job, maplins or pete's and only a couple of quid.

That's what's there at the moment, but it's not really practical in the long term unless we start pulling up carpet to stop people tripping over it.

Ed said:

Thanks.
you need to tell your downstairs computer exactly what SSID / channel to connect to (i.e. the one coming from your router) and then it'll ignore the other connection.

you'd also want to look at turning on some encryption.

Ed said:

Thanks.

You should be able to tell your wireless card not to log onto networks with suchandsuch SSID. Look around for an option in the software you use to control the wireless card.

Wait a minute. Am I missing something?

The Irish Broadband router isn't a standard wireless router and doesn't emit a wireless signal (just picks it up for you), so even if you have a wireless card I don't think it'll work. Unless you buy a wireless router and set up your own network.

If you are gonna be mainly using the PC downstairs then you'd be best just moving the Irish Broadband thing downstairs and connecting it to that PC.

Either the signal is too weak or it is a closed network and you have to enter the ssid

jd

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back