will mac break my heart (1 Viewer)

not mad about macs my self i think the hardware is very overpriced.

pros
its has most apps you want already installed
not many viruses yet.....
good for graphic design and audio work

cons
harware is not great, i have seen macbooks harddrives crash and them overheat.
selection of software is limited

if your getting this do get more memory ( the change in speed from 512mb to 1 gig is noticable) and if you don't like osx you can always install windows xp on it now.

if your getting this do get more memory ( the change in speed from 512mb to 1 gig is noticable) and if you don't like osx you can always install windows xp on it now.

you forgot.. pro it looks only loverly!

I actually linked to the wrong one, the one I'm probably getting has 1 gig already that should be grand for what I want it for.. same price too!

not mad about macs my self i think the hardware is very overpriced.

pros
its has most apps you want already installed
not many viruses yet.....
good for graphic design and audio work

cons
harware is not great, i have seen macbooks harddrives crash and them overheat.
selection of software is limited

Well... I am in yank land at the moment, but, the prices for Mac / PC hardware are exactly the same.

Not many viruses (compared to Windows) will ever exist for MacOSX. The Windows OS is fundamentally fucked. UNIX, which MacOSX is, is fundamentally not fucked.
Some viruses will exist, but they will be negligible compared to Window's history.

The hardware is exactly the same. The drives are the same. I have plugged an "apple" drive into a pc. No problem. The chips are the same basically, same people makes them, everything is the same.

There is no merit at all in the argument that Mac hardware is fundamentally worse than PC.
Limited software... I mean... I dunno. I can't say I noticed. I dont use them, but, in my line of work there is more software for Macs than there is for Windows.
But, for your work that might not be the case. I dunno.

Never used a Mac mouse...
Hate them.
Been using a Logitech chordless for years.

(Although I am typing this on an old Bondai Blue iMac what I use for internet sitting next to my posh G5 (the old hocky puc mouse(Awful)))

They were inaccurate, unwieldy and turned your hand into a gnarled claw after a few hours. Other than that, they were great.

my mates rich dad bought the most expensive imac you can buy with the best of everything (was well over 3 and a half grand) and is now selling it cos it made him angry. mainly due to the difference in sensitivity of the mouse. i gave him a starters class. my god. some people are so hard to please.

money eh?

Hang on, the difference in mouse sensitivity between what and what? He does know you can adjust the tracking speed in the system prefs, right?

I have to say... yeah, Mac mice... ghey as Christmas. Off the scales.
I also hate the default sensitivity on those machines. You can probably change it, but I just try not to touch the mouse at all.
Key bindings all the way lads. !zed

in system prefs then mouse and keyboard and this
Picture2-2.png

I have to say... yeah, Mac mice... ghey as Christmas. Off the scales.
I also hate the default sensitivity on those machines. You can probably change it, but I just try not to touch the mouse at all.
Key bindings all the way lads. !zed

right click there mac heads right click !!!

i know you can now but that whole apple key plus click to get what pc users could get with right click was brain dead.

my ma wants to get a laptop and i'm wondering if a mac would be for her.. after ten years of using a PC she still hasn't got to grips with the most basic bits of it, but i've heard macs are a lot more intuitive.. (and i used one for the last week and now my laptop feels very unsexy) what do you guys reckon?
she just needs it for word processing and a bit of internet.

Go for it.
If you are ever back in the US, or have mates or whatever, they are dirt cheap here.
Like I said, if Windows is your option, then I would take Mac. They are grand, get the job done.
WRT to ease of use... I dunno. They are all handy enough in fairness.

Have purchased the Macbook a few weeks ago and luv it! am in the midst of college
exams so am resisting temptation to play with the various applications (imovie, comic one etc) until Im done... it's deadly though.
but do you guys have recommendations for anti-virus programms for mac? I had a few on the pc ( can't remember the names) and feel like I should have something on this..

suggestions v. welcome!

buy a mouse with 2 buttons. as mentioned above, holding CTRL and clicking the mouse button......instead of just a right click gets tiresome

You can also right click by having 2 fingers on the mousepad & clicking the mousepad button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back