will mac break my heart (1 Viewer)

sarah

Website
www.flickr.com
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irlstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA472

am 99 percent certain I shall be purchasing this lovely at the
end of month. Just need it for bogstandard no crazy media or music stuff.

questions:

is it hard to get a grip with a mac when your used to pc?

and are there actually as many problems with them breaking down and having other probs, as devoted pc users make out?

had two people in my class try to bully me out of this purchase.
and never mind about the functions... they just look sooo pretty hhhhmm.

I would advise anyone that is not willing to play about with Linux, to buy a Mac.
The hardware issues that people talk about really effect all machines. Mac hardware is no less strong than any other hardware.
In fact, it is the same.
Apple dont make the bits inside their computers.

Mac OSX is good though. I find it annoying to use, because I am used to linux and I feel a bit crippled on macs since I dont know the command line on those machines. That's just me though. There is nothing wrong with the OS really.

The only thing about Macs that annoys me is their PR. But screw it. If your option is running windows, Mac wins by about a light year.
Buy it :)

I pretty much think that you can get used to any OS in about a day. The MAC has a lovely feel to it, but sadly lacking in the ability to use more than one mouse button. The reasons for this are a bit pretentious, but that's down to Apple.

It really depends on what you use it for. I personally prefer the PC and Windits for its software base. But I can use either when needed, cos I still remember all the old shortcuts and other such gick from when I used a MAC and a PC in work. I use linux rarely.

The whole "Which is better?" is just a battle of nerds.

That looks like a lovely computer. Enjoy it.

Maybe more RAM... you can buy it on line anyway for cheaper than Apple will flog it to you.
www.datamem.com

Just so you lot know... say you get a dual core chip, each core wants its own chip. So... that means if you have a gig, you should get that gig in two half gig chips. Or two i gig chips. And so on.

If you have 2 x dual core chips, then you will need 4 half gig chips, and you will need to upgrade your memory by sets of 4 chips.

Are yis gettin me?

I pretty much think that you can get used to any OS in about a day. The MAC has a lovely feel to it, but sadly lacking in the ability to use more than one mouse button. The reasons for this are a bit pretentious, but that's down to Apple.
Have you ever seen the state of Irix? 'sake.
Here, what i wanted to say was.. you can get an ordinary wheely two button for the macs now too. In fact they have ones with the wheely that goes back and forward as well as up and down.

Maybe more RAM... you can buy it on line anyway for cheaper than Apple will flog it to you.
www.datamem.com

Just so you lot know... say you get a dual core chip, each core wants its own chip. So... that means if you have a gig, you should get that gig in two half gig chips. Or two i gig chips. And so on.

If you have 2 x dual core chips, then you will need 4 half gig chips, and you will need to upgrade your memory by sets of 4 chips.

Are yis gettin me?
i see.
news to me.
thanks.

www.datamem.com

Are yis gettin me?

how does that work on a MBP core duo 2 when there are more chips than ram slots?

i see.
news to me.
thanks.

Oh yeah... sorry, I didnt mean to imply that this is specific to Apple, any multi cpu setup will be wanting its memory. This is the part that you realise that your buses are about to get fooked and you need a shit hot mother board to deal with all the IO, and the price goes through the roof.

Jaysus wha?

how does that work on a MBP core duo 2 when there are more chips than ram slots?

Emmm.... well, not as well as it could do I would imagine. I am not a huge hardware head, i know enough to get me by.
So.. whats the story with this MBP then? it has only one memory slot or something?

I dunno. It would work sub optimally I would say.

Edit... so, it seems that these macbookpro (this is what you are talking about right?) machines have one dual core cpu, and two DIMM slots. So, it should be grand. No? Am I wrong about this? I am just looking at the apple site here.

I think they all ship with the two button mouse now. Although you can use any USB mouse.

jeeez louise lads, thanks for advice.

I don't care what anyone says you guys here in the nerdy place are cool!

REP ALL ROUND. X

will look into getting more Ram wanna buy all the goodies in one foul swoop. cheers.

Have you ever seen the state of Irix? 'sake.
Here, what i wanted to say was.. you can get an ordinary wheely two button for the macs now too. In fact they have ones with the wheely that goes back and forward as well as up and down.

I think they all ship with the two button mouse now. Although you can use any USB mouse.

Deadly. About time too!

I can't tell you the pain that one button lark used to cause me when I was switching from one to the other with deadlines screaming at me.

Though I never though I'd see the day they'd actually have a wheel! imagine...

I call that progress.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back