Wilco (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 0

Yankee hotel foxtrot VS I am trying to break your heart

• Total voters
thought "I Am Trying..." was brilliant...can't get enough of "Ghost Is Born" lately though. excellent band. have they played ireland? has anyone here seen them live. incredible...the last time i saw them here in Toronto, Garth Hudson of The Band fame stepped in for some encore tunes....|..|

a ghost is born is by far the best-way more mature than the rest although being there and summerteeth arent bad at all.
i find it really weird that wilco isnt bigger in ireland-what is not to like about em?
saw em in chicago with their last gig with bennett in july 2001(its on im trying to..dvd) and they played a couple off summerteeth and loads from mermaid vol1 and 2. a totally different band from what played oxegen last year.
tweedy is incredible-loose fur, the minus 5, plus his poetry is great. then all the stuff witht the record lable and the way they stream their albums months before proper release and still sell loads of albums. definitely the way music should go.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
So, album versions or DVD versions? I'm going with the DVD ones myself, thought the album was a bit too deconstructed.

don't know enough about 'em. Only heard Summerteeth and it's good.
Dude opposite me on the train was listening to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot this morning. Had a hot American girlfriend who kept stretching her legs and kicking me.

what's different about the songs on the DVD?
How are they laid out?

there's tons of studio outtakes and stripped down live numbers scatterred throughout the DVD and the just as good binus disc. Has anyone ever read the film-maker's (Sam Jones I think) diary on his website. Its either Wilcomovie.com or Wilcofilm.com - its almost certainly linked from Wilcoworld.net - and its very interesting. He shot the whole movie on film to get a kind of Don't Look Back aesthetic. Sounds like such a chore to make a film in that manner but it really does capture an amazing time for that band with all that went on - he had to sync it up with all the sound track he had recorded that was done by Wilco's engingeer in the studio....and also he he had to keep on funding this thing too.

Plus that scene in the mixing room is one of the most cromulent examples of the shit parts of being in a band.

Squalch said:
i find it really weird that wilco isnt bigger in ireland-what is not to like about em?

I don't really get the big deal about Wilco. I bought Yankee Hotel a year ago or so and listened to it quite a lot. Liked the first song but the rest of it passed me by in a blur ..... also have Being There. Listened to it about 4 times and I still can't recall anything about it at all. They seem like the sort of band I would really like ... what's wrong with me?

hugh said:
I don't really get the big deal about Wilco. I bought Yankee Hotel a year ago or so and listened to it quite a lot. Liked the first song but the rest of it passed me by in a blur ..... also have Being There. Listened to it about 4 times and I still can't recall anything about it at all. They seem like the sort of band I would really like ... what's wrong with me?
I don't know why you don't like those albums, but I don't buy into Being There and AM beng that good. Being There has its share of very good songs, but is often weighted down by the rock-out with a cowbell moments. Better as a single album, but of course. YHF and AGIB are where its at for me. In fact I think sometimes that A Ghost is Born is even better... especially Wishful Thinking. Such a classy tune. I love Kotche's drum riff after the chorus line.

It doesn't suprise me that much as Wilco seem to live off touring America and being very popular there. They seem to have given Britain/Ireland a bit of a cold shoulder as regards touring. Also they recorded Mermaid Avenue in Dublin with Billy Bragg and I think they hada dreadful time so that might have put them off coming back here. Unfortunately I might add, as I've still never seen them.

they recorded Mermaid Avenue in Dublin with Billy Bragg and I think they hada dreadful time so that might have put them off coming back here.

i got into them when i was watching a documentary about woody guthrie on bbc about 1998. it followed billy braggs journey from getting guthries notes to making and recording mermaid ave with wilco. by then end of it tweedy and bragg wouldnt talk to each other. amazing documentary. showed em recording in dublin and chicago.
anyone heard the chelsea walls soundtrack? it gives a good reference of where tweedy is coming from on everything after summerteeth.-which was like a rebirth for the band.
a ghost is born is born is brilliant because there are so few traces of the earlier stuff. "hell is chrome" and "muzzel of bees" are incredible even just for the sound of them. a band who keep digging deep-definitely dont judge em by am and being there :)

nlgbbbblth said:
don't know enough about 'em. Only heard Summerteeth and it's good.
Dude opposite me on the train was listening to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot this morning. Had a hot American girlfriend who kept stretching her legs and kicking me.

what's different about the songs on the DVD?
How are they laid out?
They're more coherent, for want of a better word. They made a point of trying every different permutation for each song with the recording, and in the end went for what i would call very deconstructed versions, whereas on the DVD it's more sort of live versions - like kamera on the album is this brittle little ditty, whereas on the DVD it's a rock track, with tweedy almost headbanging at times.

Squalch said:
they recorded Mermaid Avenue in Dublin with Billy Bragg and I think they hada dreadful time so that might have put them off coming back here.

i got into them when i was watching a documentary about woody guthrie on bbc about 1998. it followed billy braggs journey from getting guthries notes to making and recording mermaid ave with wilco. by then end of it tweedy and bragg wouldnt talk to each other. amazing documentary. showed em recording in dublin and chicago.
anyone heard the chelsea walls soundtrack? it gives a good reference of where tweedy is coming from on everything after summerteeth.-which was like a rebirth for the band.
a ghost is born is born is brilliant because there are so few traces of the earlier stuff. "hell is chrome" and "muzzel of bees" are incredible even just for the sound of them. a band who keep digging deep-definitely dont judge em by am and being there :)
i've listened to chelsea walls soundtrack. its certainly pretty cool but its not the sort of music you keep going back to, if you know what I mean. That song Where The Roses Bloom Again (a Mermaid Avenue outtake I think) is excellent tho.

Squalch said:
and shit-what were they like with hudson-whatd he play?
man o man that must have been cool
i wish i could remember, but i was so awestruck at the time i don't think i even noticed...when he walked on, the place went apeshit - it was fantastic.

coast to coast said:
i've listened to chelsea walls soundtrack. its certainly pretty cool but its not the sort of music you keep going back to, if you know what I mean. That song Where The Roses Bloom Again (a Mermaid Avenue outtake I think) is excellent tho.

yeh know what you mean. i think all that guitar work on chlesea walls went back into songs like kidsmoke. where the roses bloom again is amazing.

Squalch said:
yeh know what you mean. i think all that guitar work on chlesea walls went back into songs like kidsmoke. where the roses bloom again is amazing.
the stuff on kidsmoke is...well i kinda like it now becuase i know what it sounds like, and i like the scraggy tone but some of its quite shit! i much prefer the guitar wankology on muzzle of bees and at least thats what you said. it definitely fed into the guitar on AGIB alright. apparently Nels Cline said he wouldn't tour with them unless Jeff Tweedy promised played guitar like that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back