why are all the meteor nominees on british labels? (1 Viewer)

Tragic isn't a strong enough word to describe it.

1733-195157-3.jpg

i couldn't agree more. well... i could but it wouldn't be via the medium of sports shoe.

Popeye

You make an intriguing argument and hats off for it. Most folk these days don't care about who or where they get signed to...as long as they get signed. British labels do not provide any more financial support than Irish labels.

BUT. If your band does well in Britain...the Irish media cowtow to that and want to interview you. If your band is signed to a Brit label, it is deemed like a bigger success. Same deal, same money but...

However, it is purely down to numbers. An Irish label may not be able to provide the tour support that a Brit label has built. An Irish label may not have the BBC radio pluggers at their beck n call. An Irish label has never had a band in John Peels Top festive 50 for example. An Irish label deals daily with Irish Press 3 million whereas a Brit label deals daily with Brit Press which covers 60 million people.

It is purely down to the attitude we have and the attitude we have about ourselves and the belief/non-belief in our own talent.

If that could change..there will always be HOPE.

P.

An Irish label has never had a band in John Peels Top festive 50 for example.

some Irish bands have made the Festive 50 but yeah, probably not on an Irish label.

1983: U2 - New Year's Day
1990: Would Be's - I'm Hardly Ever Wrong
1997: The Hitchers - Strachan

think the last two were session tracks.

plus a few Undertones and Stiff Little Fingers

can't think of anymore.

The tragic thing is, if any of the unsigned bands who played HWCH 2006 get signed to a uk or uSA label, they will pat themselves on the back and celebrate it, tripping up over themselves to rush the press release out....

Tragic isn't a strong enough word to describe it.

I read an interview with the head of Universal Ireland basically saying that he's not in a position to do anything for the Bizzards or Director outside Ireland and that they'd get lost in the shuffle when it came to the time for one of their established artists to put out a record. If that's the situation I can't for the life of me think why any indie band (who presumably have niche appeal) would sign to a major label for their first deal (aside from the obvious, they really want to be signed and will take the first offer that comes along) if that's the case. There's a lot of bands in the US that have made the independant label/major switch in the past year (Death Cab For Cutie, Interpol, Tv On The Radio etc.) but they did so after prooving that they were in a capable of selling a decent amount of records and thus were able to be confident that they'd get some attention from the label and not just serve as a write-off.

Popeye
However, it is purely down to numbers. An Irish label may not be able to provide the tour support that a Brit label has built. An Irish label may not have the BBC radio pluggers at their beck n call. An Irish label has never had a band in John Peels Top festive 50 for example. An Irish label deals daily with Irish Press 3 million whereas a Brit label deals daily with Brit Press which covers 60 million people.

It is purely down to the attitude we have and the attitude we have about ourselves and the belief/non-belief in our own talent.

I don't really have a problem with Irish bands signed to British labels. When you have organisations like the FMC, HWCH and others promoting the notion of signing to a UK/USA label...what's an artist gonna do?

It's a case of the blind & dumb leading the blind and it's not the artists fault.

What I really do have a problem with is getting an email from musicfromireland.com, HWCH and others with a list of bands that we all know are signed to British labels.

It's fucking ridiculous.

I want to get an email listing Irish Labels they are promoting. Regardless of where the artists are from.

If you go to Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark or even Belgium ffs sake, they have a far stronger domestic industry than we have.

And we should actually have an advantage, over the Norwegians, for example, in the sense that we usually sing in English.

Rodriguez & gabriella and Jack L getting a lot of airplay on the BEEB. Both are on Irish labels. Rodgab are with Rubyworks and Jack L is on that clancy/lukeman label, I think. Jonathan Ross is a huge fan of Jack L and I'm almost certain rodgab got a slot on later with jools (songs from their recent album gets a lot of spins).

Incidentally, John Peel was never interested in PRs or Pluggers. he was interested in artists who were making music for the sake of making music.

There are a few Irish labels out there. And some are quietly punching above their weight...but they really need more support.

Irish bands signed to British labels should get the frigging British labels or the BPI to pick up the tab.

By simply supporting and promoting Irish labels, the FMC, HWCH, IMRO and the Arts Council, Enterprise ireland and all the usual suspects can help envigorate confidence in the domestic sector.

At the moment, there are a shower of gobshites holding the purse strings at those organisations..until they are given an almighty kick in the head, Irish labels will continue to struggle....and artists will continue to flee.

(Wots with all the fecking runnners?)

Well the answer is obviously becasue any band that's any good gets signed by a British label. Only shit bands get stuck on Irish lables or god forbid put out their own stuff.

OI!!!
Nowt wrong with putting stuff our yourself - I wanted to put my EP out myself, thank you very fucking much
and I'm bloody glad too

:mad::mad::mad: (super extra bonus angry!!!)
- leigh

I call a moratorium on the use of the term "punching above our/their/its weight" in relation to Ireland's music industry. It is a most painful and useless cliche. Either we're fighting fit and fucking class in which case why would you complain or we're a basketcase in which case we're not punching above any weight. Check out the OECD statistics, Irish people buy less Irish music than nearly any other developed nation buys their indigenous music.
We're a statelet, culturally beholden to our former and present colonial masters. I blame the famine.

I call a moratorium on the use of the term "punching above our/their/its weight" in relation to Ireland's music industry. It is a most painful and useless cliche. Either we're fighting fit and fucking class in which case why would you complain or we're a basketcase in which case we're not punching above any weight. Check out the OECD statistics, Irish people buy less Irish music than nearly any other developed nation buys their indigenous music.
We're a statelet, culturally beholden to our former and present colonial masters. I blame the famine.

fucking potatos - told everyone that they'd fuck everything up

Opps, have I just cost my band the Electric Fix slot for tomorrow/today?
Relax dude, I'm just being facetious.

you becareful now or i'll have you and what have i told you about using big complicated words around me

UnforgivenHardman.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Carly Hennessy

Edit: I don't give a fuck about the Meteors or the Irish music industry or whatever... I just want someone to tell me: who is Carly Hennessy? I need answers... it's been three years now.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2003/0304/meteor.html

i clicked on the link, then realised i didn't give a shit and closed the page before it loaded
i would have been equally satisfied with a blank page

- leigh

some Irish bands have made the Festive 50 but yeah, probably not on an Irish label.

1983: U2 - New Year's Day
1990: Would Be's - I'm Hardly Ever Wrong
1997: The Hitchers - Strachan

think the last two were session tracks.

plus a few Undertones and Stiff Little Fingers

can't think of anymore.

ah, the would-bes...... nah, that was a single, released on a tiny irish label called danceline and picked up on by Peel

I think we should forget about the industry. The important thing is the diversity of the irish music scene (some would say Ireland's scene isn't diverse enough) rather than how big its biggest acts are.

You're not going to change the music industry and you shouldn't expect to, unless you're going to take over permanent tsb and turn it into a record label. The industry wants to make its money back, which is fine. If you don't think you could make a label very wealthy don't sign with them.

I played football with the guitarist from An Emotional Fish and after numerous conversations on the way out to matches in Tallaght I can tell you that the music industry is no dream factory.

And by the way, the Government should stay the hell away from the music scene unless you want to see the frames and aslan getting grants so they do a tour of the Gaeltacht.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back