Who's going to Wilco next Thursday? (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter hugh
  • Start date
  • Replies 112
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 4
I think they're dead right to play their new stuff. If they didn't, they'd basically be a covers band and could play the Red Cow with Smokie.
But I just don't like it. Can't I say that?

you can in fairness. tis your right.

Well do you get to go? I was filled with guilt through out the gig thinking I gave you the receipt of the tickets by accident and I would go home and find Wednesday tickets in my other bag. It is the first thing I did when I go home and was so relieved. I was thinking I was going to have to call Vicar Street and bring them the receipt for you because they kept the Thursday tickets I gave them to sell today. The doorman looked at me like I was an idiot because I was there on the wrong night.

No, I'm fine. I went and bought two extra tickets last week from someone anyway so as I said, I ended up with more than I needed. It's just I was hoping to offload the extra ones today by giving them to friends or flogging them. But now the extra ones are Wednesday ones so useless ... No problem! And I hope I didn't damage your enjoyment of the gig with all this messin' ....

(though it sounds like you didn't enjoy it much anyway :p)

To clarify, I really like Wilco but I reckon they've entered a creative rut.
And I value and appreciate the wisdom, experience and company of older people.

Do you wear your colostomy bag outside your chinos?

Seriously, do I have to be old to think that your suggestion that the older folk in the audience couldn't have bought a Wilco record all on their own is deeply insulting? That their only route to the mysterious and dangerous road to Wilco is via their fucking hipster kids?

No, I'm fine. I went and bought two extra tickets last week from someone anyway so as I said, I ended up with more than I needed. It's just I was hoping to offload the extra ones today by giving them to friends or flogging them. But now the extra ones are Wednesday ones so useless ... No problem! And I hope I didn't damage your enjoyment of the gig with all this messin' ....

(though it sounds like you didn't enjoy it much anyway :p)

Well, I am glad you get to go. Let me clarify, I said it was worst Wilco gig I have been to...not worst gig ever. I have seen them probably about 10 times and to my tastes, there have been much better ones. Leaps and bounds better. Don't get me wrong, they played wonderfully and his voice is outstanding, I am just not a fan of the new stuff no matter how hard I try.

Seriously, do I have to be old to think that your suggestion that the older folk in the audience couldn't have bought a Wilco record all on their own is deeply insulting? That their only route to the mysterious and dangerous road to Wilco is via their fucking hipster kids?

Do you write opinion pieces for The Guardian?

Oh, right. It was the present-giving that offended you. Well, the old people I know would never buy (nor be aware of) a Wilco album so it was based on that. Also, I might just have been lightheartedly exaggerating the true age-profile of the audience.

In Barcelona it was a mix of people in their 30s and older - about 15%, I'd say - and the remainder in their 20s. Mostly beardy indie boys/men and angular-haired indie girls/women. Unified by a common love of music. It didn't matter what age any of them were. I thought it was great. And it was a fantastic gig from start to finish. I loved Nels's shredding.

In Barcelona it was a mix of people in their 30s and older - about 15%, I'd say - and the remainder in their 20s. Mostly beardy indie boys/men and angular-haired indie girls/women. Unified by a common love of music. It didn't matter what age any of them were. I thought it was great. And it was a fantastic gig from start to finish. I loved Nels's shredding.

What kind of monster could make light of such beauty?

Wilco V. 2007 suck balls.

I saw them at Primavera, and in my bedraggled but strangely perceptive state I could imagine myself eating fondu and drinking blu-nun at some shitty swingers party in the LA hills in 1974 and they were providing the background music to it.

I saw them at Primavera, and in my bedraggled but strangely perceptive state I could imagine myself eating fondu and drinking blu-nun at some shitty swingers party in the LA hills in 1974 and they were providing the background music to it.

Ha! That sums up the new stuff quite well. Spot on.

i saw them at ATP and Primavera this year. it felt like being hugged by someone on pills that i didn't like

I suppose I just hate all the masturbatory guitar bits they do all the time now. I miss Uncle Tupelo and early Wilco. Heavy Mental Drummer was the death of Wilco for me. I kinda knew it but I loved them for so long I had to give a chance. I am just glad I got to see them as much as I did before they turned (in my opinion) crap.

I was trying really hard to enjoy it but I was surrounded by annoying people, which never helps. I think I am filled with too much rage lately because I really just wanted to kick everyone talking and using their mobiles. Maybe I should take a kickboxing class or something before I just freak out one day.

Exactly how I felt.

I was impressed by how technically good they are but people seem to see that as the be all and end all - and the new albums are made op entirely of this king of wankery. They have turned into a musicians band. There were spontaneous little rounds of applause (which I hate even if I know what the hell someone is after doing thats so impressive) all the way through the gig for some little noodle or lick or whatever.

The kids in front of me took more pictures of Neils than Jeff - very odd.

There were some blinding versions of the old songs and I love the sadder, dorky Wilco.

All of Being There and the second half are Summerteeth are what I think of as Wilco

And the way everyone gets worked up over Impossible Germany - FFS compared to Misunderstood............

Christ, that was awful.

I don't think I've ever been at a show where there was such a clear demarcation between 'BAD new stuff' and 'GOOD old stuff'. The only blurred lines are in the 'A Ghost Is Born' songs where they are starting to veer towards BAD but are still GOOD enough to pass muster.
Horrible protracted guitar solo hell.

I loved the second encore, and was delighted after 4 or 5 songs when Pot Kettle Black got a run out. That's my fave.

Agree with Hayworth.

Thanks for writing BAD and GOOD in caps like that. Would have been impossible to understand without that.I don't see how it would be possible to describe that gig as 'awful'.Your dislike of newer Wilco material seems to coincide with the point where they entered mainstream awareness.You're not one of those people who disown a band as soon as they become popular, are you?

Thanks for writing BAD and GOOD in caps like that. Would have been impossible to understand without that.I don't see how it would be possible to describe that gig as 'awful'.Your dislike of newer Wilco material seems to coincide with the point where they entered mainstream awareness.You're not one of those people who disown a band as soon as they become popular, are you?

I meant only the song 'Impossible Germany' was 'awful'. That's why I quoted the reference to it. I never said the gig as a whole was awful. I liked the songy parts. Didn't like the soloy parts.

I had never heard of Wilco until Mermaid Avenue and only really got into them with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot so I don't really have a possessive love for them as 'my' little band of outsiders.

I meant only the song 'Impossible Germany' was 'awful'. That's why I quoted the reference to it. I never said the gig as a whole was awful. I liked the songy parts. Didn't like the soloy parts.

I had never heard of Wilco until Mermaid Avenue and only really got into them with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot so I don't really have a possessive love for them as 'my' little band of outsiders.

I wasn't mad on Cline's guitar stuff either. It was ok in parts but there was too much of it.His lap-steel guitar thingy was great though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back